Vacation situation

Options
Hey guys I'm on vacation currently two days in. I told myself I was going to eat right and exercise the whole time. The last two days have been terrible. I'm eating icecream and super high calorie things every second. The first day I did this I told myself the next day would be different which was today and I did the same thing. I'm not sure what to do and I dont want to gain the weight I already lost back. Help!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. <3

Don't stress. Make as many healthy choices as possible. Ultimately, it's your decision.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    mzmikly wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm on vacation currently two days in. I told myself I was going to eat right and exercise the whole time. The last two days have been terrible. I'm eating icecream and super high calorie things every second. The first day I did this I told myself the next day would be different which was today and I did the same thing. I'm not sure what to do and I dont want to gain the weight I already lost back. Help!

Yes, you do know what to do: Just top eating high calories foods all the time, or keep eating them and if you do gain weight, get back in the wagon when your vacation is over. The solution is very simple.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy vacation. Nobody ever derailed their progress by eating a lot on vacation. You only derail it if you come back and get depressed about what you ate on vacation and use it to stay off track. So eat what you want, try to make some reasonable choices if you can, and stay away from the scale for several days once you are back, until the water weight filters out.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    The worst thing that could happen, is that when you get home.. it will take two weeks..at the most three, to lose your vacation weight. That isn't the end of the world. Enjoy your vacation.
  • breanamock
    breanamock Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I’m going to say this because it’s something I struggle with: just because it’s on the plate doesn’t mean you have to eat it! Even if it tastes really good and you want to eat it all. Eat slowly, savor the taste, and then leave half of it on the plate.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation. I'm sure you've been planning this a while and why let your diet stressors ruin it. I went on a cruise for 5 days and ate everything, drank everything and didn't exercise one day. Guess what... I only gained 1 pound. It was well worth it too! Just enjoy your life and when you get back home get back on track. I would recommend avoiding the scales for at least 3-5 days upon your return since it will probably be up. This is typically water weight so just push the water, get meals back on track and exercise as you did before.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation and get back on your grind when you get back. I'm sure you need the time to decompress from life, and stressing over food isn't helping. Have fun!
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    As others have said, enjoy your vacation. Your setbacks will be minor in the grand scheme of things. Mike is right about waiting to weigh yourself for several days after you return. Let the water weight drop off before you reassess. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised at how little you gained.
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Literally, my main thought on any vacation is what I'll eat. A vacation where I don't sample the local cuisine and relax does not compute. I'm literally taking better care of myself, so that I can travel more, so that I can try new (to me) interesting food ... so I can live!

If you're stuffing yourself, and not really into what you're eating, then I'd agree you should try not to do that, but if you're vacationing, and something looks good, why not go for at least a little of it without guilt? Vacation memories are better when not soaked in guilt.

• CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Literally, my main thought on any vacation is what I'll eat. A vacation where I don't sample the local cuisine and relax does not compute. I'm literally taking better care of myself, so that I can travel more, so that I can try new (to me) interesting food ... so I can live!

If you're stuffing yourself, and not really into what you're eating, then I'd agree you should try not to do that, but if you're vacationing, and something looks good, why not go for at least a little of it without guilt? Vacation memories are better when not soaked in guilt.

I agree with this philosophy. Eating is a big part of my vacation. But when I'm being serious about my food, I'm going to be choosy. I love ice cream, but I can have that anytime. So, maybe I wouldn't consider it a "vacation speciality" unless it was something unique to the area. For instance, where I go to the beach, they do cherry diptops. I can't get a cherry diptop ANYWHERE, and I love them so I might have that everyday while I'm at the beach. But if I go somewhere else, I won't use it as an excuse to get a Chick-Fil-A milkshake (as much as I love them) because it's not special.

So maybe if you just look at it that way and try to enjoy what's unique versus using the vacation as permission to go off the rails? I don't know. It's hard.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    You are on vacation, enjoy it! Know that one week is not going to derail any good effort you have made toward weight loss. If you are anywhere you can walk, then get up right now and go for a walk for 30 minutes or more!
  • fesimo34197
    fesimo34197 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation. Deal with it when you get home. Weight loss is important yes but so is making memories and enjoying life!