Slim Fast diet/mental illness

Options
I suffer from depression and anxiety and when put on antipsychotics, gained sixty pounds rapidly. Most of the weight has gone to my stomach. I was naturally thin for all of my life before. I would like to lose 30 pounds by using the slim fast diet. It’s day 2 and going well. Looking for people who understand/are going through something similar!

Replies

• George8383
    George8383 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Can relate as I. have Bulimia and rely heavily on slim fast meal replacement bars they are my SAFE food
  • jfdi6960
    jfdi6960 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't have an ED but I do have MH difficulties a lot of the time. Good luck on your goals x
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Best of luck, I only ever found Slimfast useful for losing bloat before an event/holiday, it's not a long-term solution for weight loss, in my opinion.

The weight you have gained has most likely come as a result of your appetite increasing from the medication, do give some thought as to how you plan to eat after you've stopped buying Slimfast products. These companies rely on repeat customers, because most people do not learn portion control and end up in a yo-yo cycle, it doesn't benefit them for you to keep the weight off.
  • coonhoundmom50
    coonhoundmom50 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    SlimFast has been my go-to for years, but, since January, I've been using Giant brand Satisfy shake mix. They're 50% cheaper than Slimfast powder and tastes superb. The best out there (chocolate and vanilla). Sadly, as of Memorial Day, they stopped making it entirely. So, I've gone back to trusty Slim Fast. The Smoothie powders are better tasting out of the entire powder shake mix line. The vanilla creme tastes like vanilla cake batter. No kidding! There are coupons on slimfast.com for $3 off 2 shake mixes and other coupons for SlimFast products (good until 8/9/2019).
  • matt3hPMA
    matt3hPMA Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your goals, you are capable of achieving anything you put your mind too, it’s state-of-mind.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    SlimFast has been my go-to for years, but, since January, I've been using Giant brand Satisfy shake mix. They're 50% cheaper than Slimfast powder and tastes superb. The best out there (chocolate and vanilla). Sadly, as of Memorial Day, they stopped making it entirely. So, I've gone back to trusty Slim Fast. The Smoothie powders are better tasting out of the entire powder shake mix line. The vanilla creme tastes like vanilla cake batter. No kidding! There are coupons on slimfast.com for $3 off 2 shake mixes and other coupons for SlimFast products (good until 8/9/2019).

I don't want to come across rude, but - if it's been your go to for years, do you think drinking shakes is helping with your weight loss or that you are just doing the same thing repeatedly without any long-term success?
  • ManufacturingMyMojo
    ManufacturingMyMojo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I’ve suffered from depression for as long as I can remember. I just recently got off all medications. I still see the psychiatrist regularly. (Not suggesting you do anything except what works for you). Exercise has helped me cope. I am also a masochist type of personality, so the pain of a workout helps ease the mental pain. I am rooting for you and I know you are strong and can do amazing things if you just let yourself believe it. One day at a time. One decision at a time. And you can conquer!