diet soda? Yay or nay?

Options
Let’s talk diet soda.....
I feel like I drink too much of it.
My husband thinks I need to completely stop.
Does anyone think it’s okay?
Does anyone think it’s terrible?
And.... go!

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee. I rarely drink tea. I'm a night owl who gets up early. If it weren't for diet cola, I'd have no caffeine at all.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i started drinking it when i started losing weight. helps keep me full.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Not a problem at all.
    I’ve been drinking Diet Pepsi for almost 50 years, and I’m still living with no diseases and on no prescription medications. I tend to drink more water now days, but I still bought 4-12 packs of Diet Pepsi on sale this week for $10 for the 4th of July. It always goes on sale for holidays where I shop.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    How much of it do you think is 'too much'? Why is it too much? What is it that you think is wrong with it? Is it causing you some kind of health problem?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    The only downsides to diet soda
    • if you drink caffeinated sodas and suddenly stop. Caffeine withdrawals are horrible.
    • A very small number of people (less than 1%) may have an allergic reaction to one or more artificial sweeteners.
    • There is growing evidence that too much phosphoric acid (an additive in ALL soda, especially cola) can leech calcium from the bones leading to early osteoporosis

In other words, too much soda in general may not be good for you. Unless you have a sensitivity or allergy to artificial sweeteners there is nothing inherently bad about diet soda.

If you think you may be drinking too much (personally I would think that more than a 2 liter, 6 cans, or 3 bottles per day is too much, but that is IMHO) try substituting something like still water or seltzer for some of it. Only you can determine if you are drinking too much.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    There’s no reason not to drink it unless you have an allergy or other health problem related to ingredient(s) in the soda.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I agree this is a touchy subject on MFP for whatever reason. I usually get a ton of "woos" no matter what I say about it, which is kinda funny to me.

I like the taste & carbonation of diet soda especially with certain foods like homemade pizza. I always have some in the fridge. I'd say I go through a 12 pack in a month, usually. I am maintaining a loss of about 130 lb for years.

I also drink stuff like Bubly and La Croix, though less often...and honestly, I don't find those to be a good substitute for Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr. Pepper...to me they're totally different. Some really like that substitution though and find it satisfactory when trying to cut out specific sweeteners.

In the past (before using MFP), I drank almost exclusively diet soda. I would have a can with lunch and dinner, coffee with breakfast, and typically drank no other water or beverage at all. I think that was not a great thing and I needed more hydration and sometimes snacked or had lattes etc, because I was thirsty rather than hungry...just didn't realize it. Everyone's a little different with stuff like this, but that's my .02 on diet soda...I think it's fine, but am careful not to get in the habit of drinking it 24/7 instead of water.
  • hollieponine
    hollieponine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree this is a touchy subject on MFP for whatever reason. I usually get a ton of "woos" no matter what I say about it, which is kinda funny to me.

I like the taste & carbonation of diet soda especially with certain foods like homemade pizza. I always have some in the fridge. I'd say I go through a 12 pack in a month, usually. I am maintaining a loss of about 130 lb for years.

I also drink stuff like Bubly and La Croix, though less often...and honestly, I don't find those to be a good substitute for Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr. Pepper...to me they're totally different. Some really like that substitution though and find it satisfactory when trying to cut out specific sweeteners.

In the past (before using MFP), I drank almost exclusively diet soda. I would have a can with lunch and dinner, coffee with breakfast, and typically drank no other water or beverage at all. I think that was not a great thing and I needed more hydration and sometimes snacked or had lattes etc, because I was thirsty rather than hungry...just didn't realize it. Everyone's a little different with stuff like this, but that's my .02 on diet soda...I think it's fine, but am careful not to get in the habit of drinking it 24/7 instead of water.

It is touchy, yes.
    And I totally agree about not letting myself get in the habit of drinking it 24/7 instead of water.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I rarely drink soft drinks, but when I do I drink diet if my calories can't support regular; and regular if my calories can support it.

Edit: I never developed the "taste" for sodas, so when I say I rarely have one, I mean once every 3-4 months. I do like Topo Chico as a change from plain water and have one of those every few weeks.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I think if you’re asking the question, you know the answer.
    If it wasn’t bothering you in some way, why would you ask?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think if you’re asking the question, you know the answer.
    If it wasn’t bothering you in some way, why would you ask?

Maybe looking for points about it being really horrible/unhealthy that she hadn't heard? That is my guess.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation is fine IMO. Could it negative health consequences over years and years and years? Maybe. Does it effect different people differently? Probably.

I think it’s just like everything in the world. If you enjoy it enough just do it in moderation and be smart about it.

I drink diet soda on a daily basis. Don’t really notice any effects day to day. I do notice though that if I stop for a couple days for whatever reason, I do feel a slight reduction in water retention for me personally. I don’t drink insane amounts, maybe a cup or two a day.

If it’s causing you problems, or you’re concerned about it, then try stopping. I’d say for 95% of people it’s a habit and maybe a slight addiction, but once broken I don’t think it would really be missed much.
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet Coke and Pepsi Max every single day. I might have around 4x330ml cans and I’ll pour myself around 3 or 4 glasses from the bottle. It hasn’t stopped me losing any weight as I’ve lost 40lbs since February. Prior to losing weight, I would drink the same amount of full sugar soda but I’ve not had any for around 6 months now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that for some people, artificial sweeteners increase appetite. However, many users on MFP have said that this is not true for them.

I avoid artificial sweeteners because to me they taste nasty.

If you want to stop diet soda but not caffeine, alternatives are coffee, tea, or caffeine pills.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda anymore. I never really drank much but once I saw the complete lack of nutrition in it, I didn't feel it was worth it at all.