Hello from an excited middle aged newbie!

Options
Hi,

I am 51 and have been really battling my weight in the last decade. Since I have been in menopause I sleep very little and have a hard time losing weight. I actually started to use this a week ago under my daughter's screen name, so I already lost over 3 pounds. I actually find it hard to eat enough of the needed nutrients. Does anyone have any tips for women over 50 on this new adventure? I am really determined to keep on this journey. Thanks and best wishes to all of you. Mary:happy:

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm not 50 yet, but fast approaching at 47. My advice is to make yourself track every bite that goes into your mouth even if you don't feel like logging in every day. I've been doing this since the end of January, and I've been amazed lately that I'm finding it easier and easier to to stay away from unnecessary snacks. I guess what they say is true - if you stop doing a bad habit for around 21 days you can easily break it.

Good luck!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I am 47. I have to agree log everything you eat and exercise regularly.
  • shad1018
    shad1018 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Welcome - I agree with the other poster. Tracking your food daily is very important. Also, find sme kind of excercise and do it daily. When I started my committment was to stay under my daily calories, drink at least 8 glasses of water and excercise 45 minutes 6 days a week. Now, I am addicted to water (really) and look forward to excercise every day. The food journal helps me make better food choices.

Best of luck to you - 49 years young:smile:
  • Ritamas2
    Ritamas2 Posts: 319
    Options
    Hi and welcome,
    I am 53 and have had some of the same struggles in the past.
    I just find the healthiest foods possible and try real hard to stay within my
    daily goal and I do pretty well, I will agree with the others and tell you to be
    sure and log everything so that you can adjust foods as needed, this will
    become like second nature to you after a while I promise!

I wish you much success in reaching all of your goals, you have already
    accomplished alot by finding this amazing site, there are many motivational
    people waiting to cheer you on..Feel free to add me if you'd like!

Best wishes, and remember..A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step!
  • sp53
    sp53 Posts: 40
    Options
    I am 58 and agree that being post menopausal makes it harder to maintain a healthy weight. Whatever worked in the past doesn't necessarily work now. I find it helps to try new things, new activities you may not have considered before. Processed food is unhelpful--too much salt and sugar.