Back here after gastric sleeve

Options
aranajt3
aranajt3 Posts: 14 Member
Hello, I just had gastric sleeve surgery on Monday after a long battle of feeling like I was cheating myself. I’ve been on MFP for a long time. I lost a lot of my support by choosing surgery. Looking for support and somebody to talk to.

Replies

• PatRN52
    PatRN52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm working toward having gastric sleeve surgery by the end of summer. Sorry to hear that you lost a lot of your support because you chose surgery. You can add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

Do a search for sleeve. Seems to me that I've seen a few threads about it.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Just want to encourage you. I don’t know anything about the sleeve. Never heard of it except on mfp. But you have to do what YOU think is right for you. Best of luck and good wishes!
  • Five0Six
    Five0Six Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I discourage anyone from having any surgeries to solve his/her problems. Everyone I know who has had this surgery has eventually regained all of the weight and more. No matter what you do, you will have to learn how to eat properly. Why don’t you just skip the surgery and learn how to eat.

Many people who have the surgery do so because the immediate health risks being morbidly obese are higher than the risk of surgery. And while everyone you know has regained, I know several who had the surgery and whom, years later, are still at healthy weights.

Anecdotal evidence can be useful to share, but it does not make something true or false.

OP, I'm sorry you've lost support. It shouldn't be that way. You will find plenty of people here who have also had the surgery and who can support you.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I think the commentor above didn't pay real close attention to your opening statement....

I usually caution anyone considering the surgery to really think things through and research the subject thoroughly before having it because you can't go back once its done and I don't like how surgery is being pushed as the obesity answer. HOWEVER, I do realize for some people, it can be a godsend. My brother and sister in law both had the full bariatric surgery and my cousin had the sleeve done, and their experiences vary wildly with it.

I don't know your circumstances that led you to make that decision, but I do support your efforts to get the weight off and the decision you made to use the surgery tool. I think you have shown you realize that the surgery isn't a magical quick fix - you came here, after all, for help, which says to me that you know you need to learn how to eat properly and aren't just depending on the surgery, so kudos to you! Losing weight is hard, and I know that from my cousin's experience, as you heal, the temptation to go back to eating like you did before will start to crop up, so you are right in looking for ways to learn to circumvent that temptation before it strikes, so you have my support!

I'm a member of a group that is fairly active called

350+ pounds Support for Men & Women

its filled with folks who understand what its like to face the need to drop a LOT of weight, and it has people who have done it in a variety of ways. I think there is at least a few that have had the surgery who can give you tips on how to avoid pitfalls, and as someone else has said, there are other groups on here that are also dedicated to those who have had it done. In any, best of luck to you!