New runner - pain - recovery period

Options
leebirm
leebirm Posts: 95 Member
I started running just 6 weeks ago, in that time I've gone from not being able to run 2k without stopping to running 5k in 37 minutes, I usually run 4k four times a week.

Since I ran 5k last Friday I've been getting a little bit of pain deep in my groin, it's nothing bad, I've been to the gym and ran twice since then.

It is bothering me though because it's a pain I wasn't getting before, should i just keep going as I am or should I rest up until the pain has completely gone?

For the record I'm 6ft and 20st so there is a fair old amount of pressure on my poor old joints.

Are there any specific stretches that anyone could recommend to focus solely on the groin before I start which might make it easier?

Cheers people

Replies

• MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    leebirm wrote: »
    I started running just 6 weeks ago, in that time I've gone from not being able to run 2k without stopping to running 5k in 37 minutes, I usually run 4k four times a week.

Since I ran 5k last Friday I've been getting a little bit of pain deep in my groin, it's nothing bad, I've been to the gym and ran twice since then.

It is bothering me though because it's a pain I wasn't getting before, should i just keep going as I am or should I rest up until the pain has completely gone?

For the record I'm 6ft and 20st so there is a fair old amount of pressure on my poor old joints.

Are there any specific stretches that anyone could recommend to focus solely on the groin before I start which might make it easier?

Cheers people

Foam rolling each day has shown tremendous benefits.

Are you following a program that combines strength training and running?

Are you doing it on your own?
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've just been doing it on my own, I've tried and failed with C25K in the past and have found it a lot easier motivating myself and I've seen great returns so far.

I only use the treadmill and don't do anything else at the moment, I have been thinking about using the bikes on the days I'm feeling particularly sore.
  • chrishelms31
    chrishelms31 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recommend a days rest after each run, strength training core, evaluate form and cadence, and sub in eliptical, swimming, biking on days when feeling more than just tired sore. Baby steps.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Four days a week may be too much at this point. Try 3, with a rest day between each run. Work on your hip flexibility - leg lifts that stretch the adductors, donkey kicks, clamshells, etc.

I had something similar, but after I had been running for a while. It was probably caused by increasing my mileage too quickly. Advil helped reduce the inflammation and the pain, but the main relief came from cutting back and gradually increasing the load instead of jumping into HM training.
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I second the hip stretches! Also, just stretching in general....... I had this issue going on too, mainly from previous groin strain or injury from riding but it surfaced when I started running more.

I know that the Running Room here in Canada does a great learn to run that is a bit different from the C25K program where you build up each week by adding 1 min to your run portion to 10 min run 1 min walk 10 min run 1 min walk that will get you to 5km..... and rest days can alternate to a different cardio like elliptical or bike or just plain walking......

Good luck and get better :)

S
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Stretching an injured muscle? Not good. It is already injured. Why do more damage?

Too much too soon is my guess. The thing with running injuries is they sneak up on you. One day you feel fine and then suddenly you don't. The reason it is a good idea to follow a structured plan like Couch to 5K is it keeps you from your biggest enemy. You. :smile:

I suggest resting it for a few days and see how it responds.

Good luck.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Agreed that running four times a week is a lot for a newbie. Take a few days off, start slow when you run again, see a doctor if that doesn’t help.