Can you increase skeletal muscle ?

Options
I use these Bluetooth scales and everything is in the right zones apart from skeletal muscle which is apparently low... don't know how accurate these things are mind!

I'm just trying to eat lots of protein, running, cycling and ddp yoga! Should I change anything or will continuing to do that help ?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Pick up heavy things and put them down again - a.k.a. weight training.
    Preferably in a well designed program but anything will help, especially the big compound lifts.
  • whenifeellikeit
    whenifeellikeit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Running, cycling, and yoga are not going to increase your muscle mass, at least not by much. You need to be doing actual resistance training if increasing lean mass is your goal.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Yep, resistance training and adequate protein intake :)
  • chrisredmayne
    chrisredmayne Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Is ddp yoga not resistance training ? You're doing dynamic resistance throughout the work out. The hardest one is just over an hour long and has tons of slow push ups etc in it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Is ddp yoga not resistance training ? You're doing dynamic resistance throughout the work out. The hardest one is just over an hour long and has tons of slow push ups etc in it.
    More isometrically training which enhances strength more. For muscle hypertrophy geared towards adding more muscle to the frame, you do progressive overload training with a good volume of sets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • chrisredmayne
    chrisredmayne Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    More isometrically training which enhances strength more. For muscle hypertrophy geared towards adding more muscle to the frame, you do progressive overload training with a good volume of sets.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Would kettle bells be a better training? I used to do the extreme kettle bell workout that joe Rogan goes on about, but again even with that I feel really sore the next day, not as much as free weights tho
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Would kettle bells be a better training? I used to do the extreme kettle bell workout that joe Rogan goes on about, but again even with that I feel really sore the next day, not as much as free weights tho

Kettlebells are resistsnce training. The body doesn't know if a kettlebell, barbell, suspension sysrem, etc is providing the resistance.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Soreness tends to follow any exercise that you only do once in a while - when it becomes a regular part of your routine you shouldn't have that issue except after really extreme sessions (and the majority of your training shouldn't be extreme....).