HELP...Advice??

Options
Hi all,

Here’s some backstory:

I lost about 100 lbs right after high school - I’m 31 now. In the past couple years I have gained back about 15 lbs - and they keep coming.

The only difference is my Zumba studio has closed - BUT I am still active -working out at home etc. I get about 15,000 steps per day at work.

I have gone to my doc about the weight gain. I thought thyroid (family history) or other GI problems - had bloodwork and all the tests done and everything came back clean.

I gain weight consistently on the new WW program (WW is how i lost in the first place) and I don’t know what to make of it.

Please, someone or anyone - tell me this isn’t just “me getting older” as my doctor said - has anyone experienced this and what did you do to combat it?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Your body still operates the same way as it did when you were younger. The only real difference between ages is how much we move from one age to another. Not just exercise but non exercise activity. Some people move more as they get older so this is not a rule it is just a possibility.

If you are gaining weight consistently (over 2 months) you are eating in a calorie surplus (eating too much). In order to lose weight you need to be eating in a calorie deficit. I would go through the MFP guided set-up and put in your stats and select to lose .5 pound per week. Try logging what you are eating for several days and see if you are able to stay within your calorie goal.

Your doctor is wrong. Doctors generally have little training in nutrition. If you want a better medical opinion have your doctor refer you to a registered dietitian.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I think "age" only matters in the context of muscle mass (which is related to activity in a way). When you were in high school, you likely had more muscle mass naturally than you do as a 31 year old. This means you burn less calories just sitting around than you did back then. But it's not a huge amount. It might equate to 50-100 calories per day but couple that with portion creep and "free foods" at WW and this might be your issues right there.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    yeah, Weight Watchers is just a more confusing way to attempt to track food and I agree that, "free foods," are never really free and portion sizes matter.

I say set your goal on Myfitnesspal for, "Lose 1/2 pound per week," log food and exercise here and eat a little more on exercise days like the site will tell you to do.

^^Seconded.