Tired of salad and need variety

Options
I am totally over salad.. and getting frustrated. Help this non-veggie eater out with some suggestions, please?!?! I do not like most cooked veggies either because of their taste, smell or texture, so I'm a bit limited.. but I've had a salad a day, ( sometimes two) since I started and I'm over the rabbit food!!! Any suggestions or recipes would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• jsstein19
    jsstein19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like to break it up by using what I would have on a salad as a sandwich. Toasted two slices of Arnold NuttyHealth 10 grain bread. One side got a wedge of Laughing Cow Fresco with Chipotle cheese, the other got a 100 calorie pack of Wholly Guacamole. In between lettuce, spinach, sliced tomato, cucumber. De-licsh!
  • jkcools
    jkcools Posts: 66
    Options
    Healthy Choice, Smart Ones, Weight Watchers, Lean Pockets, the list goes on, and all should be in your local grocer freezer section.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like to "hide" the veggies in stuff. I'll add frozen spinach to the ricotta in lasagna or to the filling for enchiladas. Sometimes I'll add peas to macaroni and cheese (whole wheat, and yes, I know that peas aren't really a veggie!). Put carrots in tomato sauce-- even though they're a starchy veg, when you blend the sauce, you can't really tell. You can also add frozen spinach to meat loaf or meatballs. Since Fall is beginning soon, you can make veggie soups that have lots of protein and beans, and even whole wheat noodles, which will dilute the veggies in every bite. Hope this helps!
  • dashbeaujippers
    dashbeaujippers Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about fresh fruit? Apples, pineapple, melon, nectarines, peaches, strawberries, mango, kiwi, etc.... Eat them with cottage cheese or yogurt, to get some protein.... I also enjoy eggs, (75 cals a piece) cous cous, (less than 200 cals for a cup w/o added oil) Whole wheat bread, (roughly 100 cals per slice) and turkey and american cheese are relatively low cal. I eat a lot of these things, but I also eat light mint chocolate chip ice cream sometimes, but am sure to watch my portions. (140 cals for 1/2 cup)
    I hope this helps. You should not feel like u are being punished! If u don't like salads, or need a break, have some sweet, fresh fruit! Pineapple seems to be really good this year...
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have found a 60 calorie Flax and Oatmeal pita pocket at Walmart. I put some sliced deli turkey (about 20 calories a slice) in the pita pocket, Sometimes I eat it plain like that,sometimes with a squirt of Ranch dressing or low fat mayo, then fill it with veggies, like onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, cole slaw mix, anything I want. The pita and turkey keep me filling full longer; I get my veggies; and it fills me up.

I, also, eat a lot of brown rice. I make a big skillet full on Sunday.....cut up onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic and cook with it. When it's done, add a can of tomatoes (and a can of tomato sauce depending upon how much I make and how tomatoey you like it). I take a cup of that to work with me...heat it up...eat with some crackers and veggies. If you don't like veggies in it, just make it plain and keep it around for when you need something to eat....add some soy sauce or a dab of Ranch dressing or mustard...you can eat anything on top of rice. Oh, and I loveeeeeee to put blackeyed peas on it!! Peas and rice and a salad..been one of my staples!!

I love cottage cheese.....especially with fruit...canned peaches, strawberies, canteloupe.....whatever fruit is around!!! Or, chopped up onion and pepper.......some people put tuna on top of it..but I've not tried it.

I, also, don't make salad with lettuce. I can eat lettuce but it's not my preference. I cut up cucumber, radishes, onions (gotta have my onions) and tomatoes....eat with Ranch dressing (yes, it's one of the few food luxuries I allow myself because I can't handle the fat free stuff) and eat with some crackers...great salad without lettuce of any kind!!! Or just a cut up cucumer with Ranch along with your meal.

I used to love steamed vegetables...but right now I'm on the raw kick (maybe it's the fresh garden stuff).....

I have tried all those Lean Cuisine and WW and diet frozen dinners....and I have yet to find one that I thought was edible. Ughhh....I have a few in my freezer so if I"m in a real bind but ...they've been there a long time now!!! :(

Good luck finding something that works for you and you an enjoy!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Dashb...where do you find the cous cous? I've been looking at Walmart but can't findit.....I looked in the rice area and in the oats area......any thoughts if Walmart carries it? and how do you cook with it?
  • curvyniki
    curvyniki Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your ideas!! I've been doing the lean cuisine thing.. but I need to have more veggies and fruits. I love fruit, and also the idea of hiding the veggies is great!! Thank you all so much!! Keep it coming!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Frozen ready meals - no.

But I am amazed at people who say they are tired of salad - there's an endless variety of stuff that could be called salad! I have one almost every day, and it's never the same twice.

Today I had:
    2 large spears of asparagus (the type that comes in a jar)
    the remains of a ball of mozarella
    a few thin slices of chicken
    some cherry tomatoes
    some black olives
    some capers
    a tablespoon of marinated mushrooms (again, from a jar)

I dont really like leafy green lettuce type stuff.

Have a google for bento boxes for some real inspiration!
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    How about hummus with some carrot sticks or crackers? I'm not a big fan of the original hummus that I've tried, but I love Sabre's spicy flavored hummus to use either as a dip or spread on Arnold whole wheat sandwich thins.

Definitely don't feel like you're restricted with salads. Branch out, or look up healthy salad recipes online. I love cooking chicken in different spices to add flavor to my salads (ancho chili powder+cumin+garlic salt is DIVINE) or trying different healthy dressings or fruits on top. Experiment a little!
  • curvyniki
    Options
    aside from the asparagus and the mushrooms, that sounds fab ( i'm very allergic to mushrooms) Thanks for the suggestion!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My diary is open and you are welcome to check it out. I almost never eat salad, but I do love most veggies. When you cook veggies how do you normally cook them? If you don't like them steamed, try sauteing or roasting them. Try different spices and mix them with other ingredients. There are really too many vegetables and ways to cook them for anyone to dislike them all. Just get creative. Or, if all else fails, put cheese on them!
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not too big on salad either, but I still manage to have vegetarian days. Here's what I ate today, Hope you'll find something you like.

Breakfast:
    Steel cut oatmeal with brown sugar and milk

Snack:
    Greek Yogurt with Frozen peaches

Lunch:
    WHole wheat toast with cilantro guacamole
    Tomato omlette

Snack:
    Watermelon
    Roasted seaweed

Dinner:
    Butternut squash soup
    Tomato, mushroom, and mozzarella on garlic toast

Dessert:
    Strawberry-peach smoothie
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Try cooking the veggies with a very flavorful cheese. Though eating lots of cheese isn't too good for you some (feta, goat cheese, parmesan) pack such a large punch that you need very little to mask the flavor of any veggies you don't like. Usually you can do one serving of cheese for every two servings of vegetables, but it tastes so good, you don't realize that it is also really good for you.
  • curvyniki
    Options
    My diary is open and you are welcome to check it out. I almost never eat salad, but I do love most veggies. When you cook veggies how do you normally cook them? If you don't like them steamed, try sauteing or roasting them. Try different spices and mix them with other ingredients. There are really too many vegetables and ways to cook them for anyone to dislike them all. Just get creative. Or, if all else fails, put cheese on them!

I am pro cheese on just about anything. I have tried sauteed, broiled, steamed, boiled, you name it... I will eat most any veggie raw ( I just can't do broc and cauliflower, YUCK) But thanks for the suggestions!
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I like chunks of raw veggies more than actual salad. Mushroom slices, broccoli or cauliflower florets, carrots, celery, raw green beans, pea pods, jicama sticks, green or red peppers, etc. Eat them with a little salt, with lemon pepper, with some balsamic vinegar or lime juice, or with chili and garlic.