Help please..... What to do

Options
siv1979
siv1979 Posts: 32 Member
edited July 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
After 3 or 4 months of lifting my lifts have stalled

I am 6 foot 5 and weigh 92 kilos around 200lbs

I eat 2500 calories a day and believe I'm around 15 to 16 percent body fat

I wanted to cut down to around 12 percent before bulking but feel I'm not getting anywhere. Have stopped losing weight and not gain muscle

Should I do maybe a small bulk? , I have very little muscle mass, and have never really bulked

I would want to keep it very clean within a few hundred cals of maintenance

How much should I eat 3000, 3500????.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thx

Replies

• siv1979
    Options
    Trying to insert photo.... Not much luck!! :s
  • siv1979
    Options
    Ok... Side and front.... Thx à lot for any advice
  • waterhg
    waterhg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We'll need a bit more info to really help.

What's your current lifting routine and do you include cardio?

Do you know your maintenance calories and what has been happening with your weight over the last 3-4 months eating at 2500?

What's your macro breakdown?

What are your goals, strength, muscle mass, weight loss?

You're around 24 BMI so you could go either way really. Personally I would slow bulk to around 25 BMI over a few months, but that's just me. It depends on your end goals really.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,632 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    siv1979 wrote: »

If you haven't lost or gained weight and you want to keep it very clean and within a few hundred cals of maintenance then you should add no more than that many Cals to what you're currently eating and then proceed to re-evaluate based on your results over several weeks.

So if you've been eating 2500, it is unlikely that a very clean bulk would exceed 3000. In fact it might be lower than that since a 500Cal a day overage would be targeting 1lb a week which is closer to a dirty than a clean bulk!

Add a couple of hundred Cal to what you've been doing and re-evaluate in a few weeks based on your weight trend and performance.
  • lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    Options

After 3 or 4 months of lifting my lifts have stalled

I am 6 foot 5 and weigh 92 kilos around 200lbs

I eat 2500 calories a day and believe I'm around 15 to 16 percent body fat

I wanted to cut down to around 12 percent before bulking but feel I'm not getting anywhere. Have stopped losing weight and not gain muscle
    Should I do maybe a small bulk? , I have very little muscle mass, and have never really bulked

How much should I eat 3000, 3500????.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thx

Ok. Let's break this down as simple as possible.

What kind of training are you doing? Sets and Rep ranges? What kind of training?

You're new to lifting, so you'll gain strength/muscle even in a deficit.
    Personally, i would always cut down to below 12% body fat. That will put you in a good position to bulk.
    The lower your body fat the easier it is to gain muscle and to see that muscle develop.

If you are not losing fat then your calories are too high.
    From your stats i am guessing your eating around maintenance.
    I'd drop a 100 calories a week until you start to see a drop on the scales.
    Ideally you want to lose 1 lbs a week.
    Weigh yourself, same time, same place every week to keep it accurate.
    Once you start to lose that 1 lbs keep that calorie goal going until you can't drop anymore weight.
    Make sure you are accurate with logging your food.

• siv1979
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

If you haven't lost or gained weight and you want to keep it very clean and within a few hundred cals of maintenance then you should add no more than that many Cals to what you're currently eating and then proceed to re-evaluate based on your results over several weeks.

So if you've been eating 2500, it is unlikely that a very clean bulk would exceed 3000. In fact it might be lower than that since a 500Cal a day overage would be targeting 1lb a week which is closer to a dirty than a clean bulk!

Add a couple of hundred Cal to what you've been doing and re-evaluate in a few weeks based on your weight trend and performance.

Thx..... Gonna follow this advice, bump up cals by a couple of hundred, see what happens!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you use the Stronglifts app? It tells you when and how to deload. You can find the app at stronglifts.com.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Looking at your programming may be a great idea too!

Reviewing deload recommendations and progression, making sure you're following a well designed program -- see list of programs in most helpful posts in fitness forum section, maybe @quiksylver296 can link @psuLemon 's thread on programs..)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Reviewing deload recommendations and progression, making sure you're following a well designed program -- see list of programs in most helpful posts in fitness forum section, maybe @quiksylver296 can link @psuLemon 's thread on programs..)

Since @PAV8888 asked so nicely... ;)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Are you lifting now @pav888? Lol @quiksilver296 is a beastie! Whatever you do, train for hypertrophy usless you want to power lift.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    No @psychod787 I, unfortunately, remain a bit of a wimp! And yes, both you and quicksilver kick kittens!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    No @psychod787 I, unfortunately, remain a bit of a wimp! And yes, both you and quicksilver kick kittens!

Boy that's an unfortunate use of the filter lol
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So far I agree with the others, you need a well-designed weight lifting program for guys, some progressions up to heavier lifting with lower reps, along with some deloading, etc. Most likely your nutrition is fine if you are staying at low body fat like that, and getting enough protein. Follow the advice of some of the guys there. Lift heavy, rest, lift heavy, rest, get enough protein and sleep and water! Boom! You got this!