How do people calculate calories for frozen food

Options
goatelope
goatelope Posts: 178 Member
I just wanted to check with people about a recipe which calls for frozen peas and broad beans.
I added 200g frozen broad beans
And 200g frozen peas
But a lot of the frozen weight would be water, right?

Replies

• DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Most frozen food is in really thin plastic (at least where I live) so what is the weight of the whole, unopened package, and how does that compare to nutrition panel on the back (serving size calories x number of servings in package, or similar if you are not in the US)? If they are basically the same, then just use the calorie information from the back of the package.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I just weigh it and log it. I never would have lasted here 4 years if I had worried about little stuff like this :wink: . There's differing amounts of water and fat that gets frozen in or melts off. Some apples are really sweet and juicy and others are bland or dry. Some cans of soup have more celery than others. One chicken thigh will have a bit more fat than the next. It all comes out in the wash. Be as accurate as you can with the tools and info available, but true accuracy is impossible. Just be consistent!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    1.)During June I had a mature blackberry bush that produced an abundance of blackberries. Most days in June, I picked a handful of ripe blackberries, weight 1 or 1/2 ounce for eating that day, and froze the remainder.
    The harvest is finished, so now I'm having 1 ounce of frozen blackberries. The n of frozen blackberries in an ounce is mostly equal to the n of fresh blackberries in an ounce. Enjoy your meal.

2.)No additional water is added to the vegetables during freezing, so any additional water weight would be the water vapor in the volume of atmosphere that was enclosed in the packaging when flash frozen. That tiny bit of ice would sublimate back to water vapor in the few seconds it takes to pour the frozen veg into your pot.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I just weigh it and log it. I never would have lasted here 4 years if I had worried about little stuff like this :wink: . There's differing amounts of water and fat that gets frozen in or melts off. Some apples are really sweet and juicy and others are bland or dry. Some cans of soup have more celery than others. One chicken thigh will have a bit more fat than the next. It all comes out in the wash. Be as accurate as you can with the tools and info available, but true accuracy is impossible. Just be consistent!

This is great logic to follow. ☺
  • goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. This really helps :-)