59 years old and starting at gym in 2 days...please read and any advice

Options
ccmerm
ccmerm Posts: 1 Member
I used MFP about 8 years ago with a starting weight of 185lbs and lost 45 lbs...yay to me :) I deleted my account thinking I had all under control ...sadly I have put 30lbs back on again and age has got in the way and doctor has told me I have osteoporosis.

So back on the whole thing of eating better but now the added thing of starting at the gym to try some weights and resistance training. I have induction on 24th...am so dreading it. I havent been in a gym for about 30 years:(

I have seen the younger people in there when I went to join and they all seem so fit and muscly can anyone give me some advice...I really am so dreading going to the gym..I used to be a gym bunny when I was much younger and I know I cant keep up with others now...my flexibility is rubbish ;p

Replies

• kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    They will not be looking at you so go and get-r-done.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Don’t worry about it, you will do fine. The majority of peope won’t even look at you. Everyone is worried about their own routines!
  • slimtastesbetter
    slimtastesbetter Posts: 7,974 Member
    Options
    You don't have to "keep up with others." As others have said, no one's going to be paying attention to you. They're doing their thing, you do your thing. There is a wide variety of fitness levels, body types, at the gym. They are not ALL "so fit and muscly." I agree with Cowboy, if anyone who is "fit and muscly" happens to notice you they're not judging you, they are thinking how cool it is you're working on getting in shape!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,047 Member
    Options
    Probably not looking at you at all, as other say . . . but if they are, IME, likely to be thinking: "I hope I have the gumption and strength of character she has when I'm her age" or "I wish I could get my aunt/mom/granny to get in here and get it done like that!".

P.S. I'm 63. Got routinely active in mid-40s, after cancer treatment. At your/our age, we have all kinds of self-insights and character strengths going that will serve us very well in being consistent/persistent about achieving committed self-improvement goals. If you get in there and do it, it won't be long until you're surprising kids who wish they could keep up with you. If you hang around the right spots in MFP, you'll see various fun stories about mature women outlifting young men who patronized them - heh. I have a 72-year-old female friend - looks all sweet and matronly - who gets to do that sometimes with weights workouts. So fun!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I am 59 too. Ditto what all the other posters have said. My advice is to take it slow! Weight and resistance training are definitely what you need to keep the osteoporosis in check, but don’t add too much weight too soon. Even if it feels okay in the gym you may discover the next day that you strained something. I know this from first-hand experience. On the other hand, increase weight by a small amount at regular intervals so you keep challenging yourself. Once you have gained so e strength and confidence you can increase.
  • nanheye
    nanheye Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ccmerm wrote: »
    I used MFP about 8 years ago with a starting weight of 185lbs and lost 45 lbs...yay to me :) I deleted my account thinking I had all under control ...sadly I have put 30lbs back on again and age has got in the way and doctor has told me I have osteoporosis.

So back on the whole thing of eating better but now the added thing of starting at the gym to try some weights and resistance training. I have induction on 24th...am so dreading it. I havent been in a gym for about 30 years:(

I have seen the younger people in there when I went to join and they all seem so fit and muscly can anyone give me some advice...I really am so dreading going to the gym..I used to be a gym bunny when I was much younger and I know I cant keep up with others now...my flexibility is rubbish ;p

Please consider finding an activity that you enjoy. I, too, am 59 and have realized I am only punishing myself if I try to force an activity I don't enjoy. Comparing yourself to younger gym rats will only lead to frustration, disappointment and eventually quitting your activity program. You are you... You are not them. And that's ok. That's perfectly ok. Celebrate yourself and your next day on Earth by doing something physical that you enjoy. Best to you for your courage to regain your health.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,832 Member
    Options

Just as the above posts have stated, try to pick and activity YOU will enjoying! The pool is a fantastic way of low impact exercising. The Stationary Bike while you read a book or resistance bands while watching your favorite show. Believe me like everyone have said others are too busy doing their own thing. You can do this!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Yep, generally speaking people in the gym are WAY to focused on themselves to bother paying attention to anyone else. 90% of the people there won't give you a second glance.

And the other 10%? Well, 9% will be impressed and supportive that you're getting in there and not sitting on your couch and the other 1% are utter jerks and who aren't worth a ounce of your attention anyway.
  • phred_52
    phred_52 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I'm 57 and just returned recently. As you stated above, You left out us older folk :) , but as others have said, not all are "fit and muscly". Just do Your thing. Everyone has their own pace etc. Get setup with a routine, and charge forward :) .

I too was way overweight 4 or so yrs ago. Hit 200, next day gym membership, lost 40 lbs, now i've gained it back after gym closed. I've gone from 205 to 180 so far, 20 more to go. I mostly am into cardio, 2hrs daily, and resistance machines.

You can do it again. I'm rooting for Ya.

• NewBetterBest18
    NewBetterBest18 Posts: 165 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I started back at the gym at 58 years old myself. I was almost 240 lbs when I started. You can just imaging what I looked like doing zumba. I stuck it out and before I knew it, it was being asked, no told, that I needed to be right up in front along side of our zumba instructor. I was more or less the inspiration story given my age and the fact that I had lost 60 lbs! I was extremely honored. I had gained back about 15 lbs after a diagnosis of bilateral knee and lower back arthritis recently. I'm back in the habit of eating well and doing my best to at least get 8,000+ steps a day. FYI, I never stopped logging in my meals. I started on March 17, 2017!!! I'm already starting to see a change. You can do it!
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I'm 51, literally just rejoined the gym a couple days ago, and went for the first time in 4, maybe 5, years tonight.

I live in a small town, where I own a business, and so I kinda feel a little more seen than I consider ideal. :) But I live in a place with bitterly cold winters, and so I know I have to get used to the gym now. There was one guy there, about my age, a little better shape than I am, but neither fit nor muscle-y.

Honestly, good for him, and good for me ... and good for you!

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Start slow and don’t use a trainer! Just walk a little on the treadmill. If you do too much you might hurt yourself. I’m 67 and can do 30 on the treadmill but I had to work up to it. Keep the resistance machines at 10 pounds to start. You will do great!
  • LouVee186000
    LouVee186000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's a great goal to hit the gym. I'm 52 and have been going two or three times a week for just over 3 months now. Like pretty much every other health/fitness-related goal, it takes time. After three months of slow progress I love what I can do now that I couldn't do when I started. Don't be hard on yourself -- just go and consider showing up at all a huge win, because it is. Good luck!