How to not give in to cravings?

Options
Anyone have any advice on how to not give into your cravings? I have these ice cream bars in the fridge I have a very hard time resisting. If this was my house, I'd get rid of them, but my mom buys them EVERY TIME she goes to the store even when I tell her not to. They're only 150 calories but I feel guilty every time I eat one since they're still unhealthy. Any tips on how I can stop myself from going into the freezer and indulging in that ice cream?

Replies

• peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    Drink a big glass of water.
  • 1smemae94
    1smemae94 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Do something else. Go for a walk. Read a book. Chew some gum. Drink water. Do anything to get your mind off the tempter.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I keep sugar-free jello in my fridge at all times. My roommates keep ice cream and candy bars and stuff like that in the house. Any time I feel tempted I resort to my sugar free jello. Calms my sweet tooth. One serving is 5 calories...and if i want to be naughty and eat the whole box, its only 20 calories!
  • DaniellePF
    DaniellePF Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Distract yourself somehow. I tend to crave snacks and sweets if I am watching TV--so I busy my hands by folding laundry, or even doing some bicep curls with handweights.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Chew Minty gum, the ice cream wont taste as good ;)
  • sheryl3424
    sheryl3424 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ask her to put them in the back of the freezer and stack stuff in front! She could put them in an opaque freezer bag labelled 'LIVER'!
    LOL

I have the same issues but the other direction. It is my daughter that brings in treats and I am not very good at saying no either.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Spray windex on them, and throw them in the trash. Just tell your mom they got windex on them and are poison.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    hmm... does anyone else eat them? if not, i would throw them away.

if you can't, gum, water... carrots? sometimes, if i want something sweet, i just "splurge" and drink a can of diet pop or vitamin water.
  • Murphk323
    Murphk323 Posts: 184
    Options
    think of your current weight and count down to your goal weight....it kind of motivates me cause i know im getting there and giving into cravings wont help me reach that number.
  • SupremeBrain
    Options
    Drink a big glass of water.

I drink a glass of water too!
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Spray windex on them, and throw them in the trash. Just tell your mom they got windex on them and are poison.

totally have done this more than once! haha
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Have a small piece.
    I was craving a snickers really bad, so I got a fun sized one instead of the large huge ones.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    take one lick then drop it on the bathroom floor. Bet you don't eat it.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth! That helps me fight off all cravings. Nothing tastes good after brushing your teeth.
  • ashleymflores2010
    ashleymflores2010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Self control. I live in a house with 5 other grown adults and one toddler my house will never be sweet free, we all shop together and they like high calorie ice cream. I have yet to break I just keep telling myself I don't need it. Also I have on hand low calorie ice cream so when I do what something sweet I can eat and not feel guilty afterwards. I don't feel it's fair to tell the rest of the household to keep things out of the house all because I'm changing my lifestyle and trying to lose weight. My household and I didn't gain the weight together and they didn't help contribute towards my weight gain so it's not fair to ask them to do something just for me.
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    a glass of water (cold!) helps me too, but i also try to keep a little something for me to splurge on. i enjoy the weight watchers 80 calorie dark chocolate raspberry ice cream bars. they arent "healthy", but they keep me from feeling deprived of ice cream... and help curb the cravings when i see the pint of ben and jerrys chubby hubby in the freezer! :)
  • CassandraD82
    CassandraD82 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth immediately after dinner. It works.

Or only allow yourself to eat a 150 cal icecream bar on the days that you have already racked up 150 points from exercise.

Or... what is you absolute favourite treat? Chocolate, icecream, cheese? Pick your favourite and when you reach for the icecream bar eat a tiny serve of your favourite treat instead and savour it.
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    If you and your mom live together, try to get her to understand that at least for now, it's hard for you to resist them and to please not buy them.

If they are in the house and you can''t resist the temptation, take two or three bites and put the rest in the garbage disposal and immediately run it. The 2-3 bites will probably satisfy your craving and by destroying the rest of that bar, you'll be eliminating the temptation. Or plan that one bar will equal three indulgences, and put the uneaten portion in a ziplock freezer bag.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I log it and see what it does to my numbers for the day!!!! This usually cures me of the craving!!!
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself some skinny cows or pre make some healthier treats and have those when you're craving.