new to this and dont know if this is normal

Options
so I am used to eating 1-2 big meals daily and the past 3 days I have cut down to 1200 calories through out the day. I know its normal to be hungry but I am getting light headed and afraid that I may be doing more harm than good for my body. I feel very tired and I know this may be a little personal but my pee is BRIGHT yellow... is that normal? I just dont want to go into starvation mode or anything. Oh and I currently weigh 142 and am 5'3. I am also working out 20 min a day 2 times daily.

Replies

• ljunior
    Options
    so I am used to eating 1-2 big meals daily and the past 3 days I have cut down to 1200 calories through out the day. I know its normal to be hungry but I am getting light headed and afraid that I may be doing more harm than good for my body. I feel very tired and I know this may be a little personal but my pee is BRIGHT yellow... is that normal? I just dont want to go into starvation mode or anything. Oh and I currently weigh 142 and am 5'3. I am also working out 20 min a day 2 times daily.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising on top of cutting cals, you need to eat more than 1200. The 1200 is already a deficit to help you lose x pounds/week. If you are exercising & burning (for example) 300 cals, you need to eat 1500 cals (1200 + 300 = 1500). Your body needs at LEAST 1200 to function properly. Does that make sense? It can be tricky to explain.

IMO, if you are hungry...EAT something! Make it healthy, but put some fuel in that body! Grab an apple, carrot sticks, a banana, etc... but if you feel lightheaded, that is NOT a good thing.

HTH! :flowerforyou:
  • marisa0918
    Options
    ok 2 questions....

Did you start taking a multi vitamin? That causes pee to be bright yellow

Are you eating your exercise calories?
  • ljunior
    Options
    I did start taking a multivitamin. I was thinking that had something to do with it but I wasnt sure... I dont understand how I will lose weight if I burn the calories and then just eat them after I burn them... can u explain lol I have never been on a diet before lol
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am also eating the 1200 calories, however I break it up into 200-400 meals several times a day...it helps and I am always full....granted the first couple days was an adjustment but now its easy (sometimes I have to force myself to reach the 1200 cal.!!
  • ljunior
    Options
    I thought that bananas have lots of calories... I just dont get all this stuff UGH Its so complicated :(
  • ljunior
    Options
    I thought that bananas have lots of calories... I just dont get all this stuff UGH Its so complicated :(
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    I did start taking a multivitamin. I was thinking that had something to do with it but I wasnt sure... I dont understand how I will lose weight if I burn the calories and then just eat them after I burn them... can u explain lol I have never been on a diet before lol

The 1200 cals is what MFP gives you thinking that you will NOT be exercising. If you sit on your *kitten* all day long, you will still lose weight eating 1200 cals/day.

When you exercise & burn more cals, you need to eat them to keep your body functioning b/c then you are giving it TOO BIG of a deficit & it won't function properly.

Let me see if I can find the post about it that explains it a bit better.
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    One medium banana has about 105 cals. Not all that shocking.
  • ljunior
    Options
    thanks for your help! I will take all the advice I can get.... mean while Im going to eat a banana! LoL
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    thanks for your help! I will take all the advice I can get.... mean while Im going to eat a banana! LoL

HA! :laugh:

That link I posted above is the one that should put everything into perspective about exercise calories.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

A number of us on here break up our meals into 5-6 mini meals spread throughout the day, just breaking up your total cals into the mini meals. That can help with the hunger, plus it keeps your blood sugars more regulated (which when not done it can be the cause of hunger and headaches) plus bonus is your metabolism keeps boosted throughout the day spreading your meals out.

FC:heart:
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options

Hi, the multivitamin can definitely turn your urine yellow - I believe it is the B vitamins..

The post for exercise calories can explain this better than I ever could..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

janie
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I had this trouble in the beginning also, I learned to space my 1200 cals into 5-6 meals a day, my dinner being the most as I eat dinner with my honey everynite. But some eat that at lunch. I workout about 45 mins a day and burn anywhere from 400-700 cals a day and rarely eat more then 100 of my exercise cals as I found no losses when eating them, this goes against the norm here, but we all have to find what works for us. I would say just be sure to eat something providing you energy before your workout, I usually have something with protien in it and then I have something soon after my workout to replenish my body...You may need to up your 1200 cals as some have said above, but be aware that your normal BMR without doing any exercise will be a small deficit in cals, so working out is important....and drink alot of water.............

My 2 cents.

:flowerforyou:

56259.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • amycakes812
    Options
    Once you get into the swing of things you will be surprised at just how much food you can fit into 1200 calories a day! Working out is a great incentive to get extra calories to eat. Just try to fill those cals with healthy whole foods. Take a look at the food database to get an idea of the nutritional value of foods you normally eat. This will help you plan things out a little better. I know some people here plan out their meals ahead of time to keep on track. Also, try switching from 1-2 big meals to 3 meals and 2 snacks to help spread out your calories throughout the day. Not only will this keep you from getting hungry between meals, it will keep your metabolism going all day! Finally, check out the recipes section on the message boards for some great ideas on how to get all those calories in! This is a great site and the process really works! Try reading through the posts in the general message boards that are tacked at the top of the page. It will help you to undestand the why's of a lot of this. Good luck and don't give up! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: