Keto Beginner

Options
I wanted to start keto, but I'm not sure how? I was hoping to add some frienda who are familiar with keto or who are interested as well.

Replies

• Crazy_X
    Crazy_X Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I’m starting Keto tomorrow. I’m also a beginner and could do with some help ❤️
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Do your research. I was considering keto but after researching it, knew that it would never be a sustainable way of life for me.

Search keto here and you'll find groups and threads dedicated to it. Good luck!
  • ajoyner728
    ajoyner728 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been keto since Mar 2019, needing friends and support.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,081 Member
    Options
    I am a keto'er .....you are welcome to add me .....wishing you the very best on your journey :)
  • nashie78
    nashie78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can add me. I started keto a week ago. First time on keto diet. Down 8 pounds 😬
  • Crazy_X
    Crazy_X Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A week on Keto and down about 5,5 pounds! I am also Intermittent Fasting 😅
  • mtadc
    mtadc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started June 30. I’m down 9.8 pounds
  • debroh
    debroh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I been on it , 2 months and only down 5lbs .
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    6 months in, down 50 lb. You can do it.
  • Hates2run
    Hates2run Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Been on keto 2 months. Feel free to add me 😊
  • nikki29m
    nikki29m Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    About two weeks into Keto. No weight loss so far but also interested in connecting with folks on the Keto journey!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    nikki29m wrote: »
    About two weeks into Keto. No weight loss so far but also interested in connecting with folks on the Keto journey!

2 weeks is generally too soon to judge. I'd give it at least 4 weeks then take another look.

What calorie deficit are you hitting? Keto can be an effective way of eating for some people but it's not magic and you still need to eat fewer calories than you use for fat loss to occur.
  • stryker1222
    stryker1222 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1 week into keto for me 5 lbs lost but I also started hitting the gym and i know in the beginning water weight fluctuates a lot as well as me building muscle at the same time so i expect not to see as much of a weight loss because of those. i also do intermittent fasting
  • nikki29m
    nikki29m Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »

2 weeks is generally too soon to judge. I'd give it at least 4 weeks then take another look.

What calorie deficit are you hitting? Keto can be an effective way of eating for some people but it's not magic and you still need to eat fewer calories than you use for fat loss to occur.

Eating about 1000-1200 a day, burning between 1500-2100 depending on my workout. I’m 5 feet and looking to lose about 35-40 lbs. Have hit all my macros, averaging about 6-12 net carbs a day. I usually lift, though this has been thrown off a bit due to dizziness and overall weakness. I’m just coming off of my period (sorry if TMI)...not sure if that’s impacting the weight loss.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options

Eating about 1000-1200 a day, burning between 1500-2100 depending on my workout. I’m 5 feet and looking to lose about 35-40 lbs. Have hit all my macros, averaging about 6-12 net carbs a day. I usually lift, though this has been thrown off a bit due to dizziness and overall weakness. I’m just coming off of my period (sorry if TMI)...not sure if that’s impacting the weight loss.

I see, well, while I personally don't have the 'equipment' to provide first hand information, it's consistently confirmed by those on this forum that do that weight (due to water retention) tends to go up to some degree during their TOM. That water could easily be offsetting any fat loss so give it some time.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hello felllow Keto'ers - or Med style with low'ish levels of carbs :) I lost 40lbs in 3 months and it was/is sustainable. Things I would suggest for newbies include :

1. If you have been eating a high carb diet for some time and its more from added sugar rather than wholegrain carbs, then perhaps taper down your carbs over a number of weeks to avoid the shock / keto flu from going cold turkey overnight.
    2. You do not remove carbs from your diet ! You also do not have to reduce them to 20g Net or less - if you are doing quite a bit of cardio (and this includes walking) then not only do you need some carbs, but you will be burning through them as well and can still be in ketosis at higher levels of consumption. I walk a hilly six miles a day and I was consuming 100g of wholegrain / low carb veggie carbs a day and was in ketosis. We are all different - so find your own levels rather than borrow someone elses (including mine :) ). Added sugar is no use to you nutritionally as a carb or anything else.
    3. Drink a lot of water !
    4. Ketosis does not accelerate weight loss - you know you are in it when your appetite is supressed. Its the resulting seemingly easy and natural reduction in calories consumed that results in the weight loss. Not some awesome chemical reaction based weight loss magic.
    5. Still weigh your food and log/count your calories - this will support you in finding your optimum level of caloies and macros which are your choice because its your life / woe.
    6. For anyone who is PD or T2, this is a great way to still eat quite a bit without kicking your blood sugar levels around. You may want to check with your GP/MD before starting.
    7. Cauliflower really is your friend.

Good luck !
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options

If you are getting dizzy and feeling weak, I would really encourage you to bump up your wholegrain/veggie based carbs a little bit. You might also want to add some salt to your meals.

At 2 weeks and in my experience, your body is still sorting itself out wrt ketosis so I would either reduce the weight being lifted and/or up my carbs, salt and water.

I would also weigh and log all my food - because Ketosis encourages fat consumption (a reason I really like it) accuracy is essential. Those are calorie loaded grammes and can easily knock you above your calorie target.

Keto is a great but like all diets, CICO matters.

Hope you feel better soon !
  • sophie1705
    sophie1705 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi what do you all eat as a snack.... I’m new to this and I’m finding myself dying to grab a bag of crisps
  • bandaidson
    bandaidson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    On day two of keto...I am hopeful! I did whole 30 last summer and felt so.good after giving up sugar...looking forward to that again since sugar will be out. Good luck to all is beginners.