Wrist watch HR sensor v Chest strap

Options
I lost weight and became a runner a few years ago, then due to health issues gained it all back and returned to the couch. Now I am back in harness and have dug out my old kit. When I move I am using a garmin Forerunner 610 with a chest strap for HR.

Question 1, I see that the more modern watches can read heart rate directly through the skin on your wrist. I am wondering about upgrading. Are these new systems as accurate as a chest strap?

Question 2, When I was running last phone running apps were not that good losing signal etc. Now however I have tried and they seem to be much better and now it seems that you can get a chest strap for heart rate that connects to the phone app by bluetooth. Has anyone tried these and are they any good?

At the moment I am only walking short distances 2 - 3 miles but as the weight comes off I will be running. As I am over 70 I do need to watch heart rate. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    the wrist heart rate monitors are not as good as chest straps. The flex in the wrist can let light in so for certain exercises such as weight training they aren't as accurate. There are however some new straps you can wear on the upper forearm or bicep which are just as good as the best chest straps. Specifically the polar oh1 (the best) and schosche rhythm+
    For very rapid interval training a chest strap is probably slightly quicker at detecting heart rate dips and peaks due to it's location near the heart.
    For steady state training such as jogging the built in heart rate monitors on activity trackers will probably suffice, but they won't be quite as effective as the dedicated chest or arm HRM's.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    1 chest straps are still better.

2 a FR610 is better than anything you can put on a phone.

Maybe you want to upgrade to a newer watch for other reasons, but the only two major advancements since the 610 are hr that's don't work great and music onboard
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Good advice above, but I'd add that there's another option (if you want an all-day tracker for other reasons). You can get a wrist tracker that doesn't require your phone to be with you in order to collect data, and that connects to a chest strap when you need it for more accurate exercise tracking. (This is how my Garmin Vivoactive 3 works.)

I've found the wrist-based tracker reasonable for most other kinds of exercise, but it works poorly when I row on-water or machine (too much arm flexion; it loses contact). So, I use a chest belt that connects to the watch via Ant+ for rowing workouts, and let the wrist-based tracker do the work alone for other activities. (I don't run, so I don't have an opinion about how the wrist monitor works for running specifically.) I think it's helpful not to need the phone close while working out (because I don't usually take my phone on the water), but you may prefer to have your phone nearby anyway when running for other reasons, I don't know.

When the watch gets back within range of my phone, it connects to the phone via Bluetooth, and the phone app uploads the data to the cloud, so it's then accessible long term from any of my phone/computer devices (with the appropriate app) for various kinds of reporting and analysis, which is kind of fun.

I believe my device does more frequent HR sampling during exercise (it knows I'm exercising because I tell it what I'm doing in order to get it to track miscellaneous useful stats). I'm not sure whether that sampling rate difference is true without the chest belt because I pretty much always use the chest belt when doing intentional workouts.

Since you mention being 70 and monitoring heart rate, I'm inferring you may have some cardiac concerns. (I'm 63, BTW.) Some of these all-day devices - while they're not certified as medical devices - will try to look for heart rate irregularities and let you know (wrist vibrate/message) if it sees them.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    According to DCRainmaker Garmin has made significant strides in improving the accuracy of models reading heart-rate at your wrist but, as previously mentioned, the 610 is a great model and unless you had other reasons to change the cheapskate accountant in me says save your money.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Have a Fenix 3HR and will run short runs with it. If I'm going for a longer or, or a training specific run I put on the chest strap. It does give better HR numbers. I've seen my wrist one go to 185 when I know my HR isn't that high.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Or better yet. Ignore HR and just run. :)

FWIW - I almost never use my chest strap any more. My watch does track my HR but I couldn't tell you the last time I actually looked at it (during a run or even after).

Good luck.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Or better yet. Ignore HR and just run. :)

FWIW - I almost never use my chest strap any more. My watch does track my HR but I couldn't tell you the last time I actually looked at it (during a run or even after).

Good luck.

I'm working on picking up my cadence so my watch is helpful for that. But I do flip between screens on it.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    In addition to what other people have said, a good chunk of the accuracy issues people have with otherwise reliable wrist based HR monitores when running (as opposed to some other activities/sports) is due to user error. There's a good blog post on DCRainmaker about that here.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    My watch has a wrist HR sensor. Sometimes it's spot on, sometimes it's comically far off. It's useful for at rest heart rate of that's of interest to you. I don't trust it for exercise. My experiences when I've forgotten my chest strap bear my mistrust out.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,390 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to materials containing soft rubber/latex, especially when sweating. And have an odd chest shape. Thus chest straps are not an option for me. I found though that sensors that sit on the uppermost part of your lower arm aren't too bad overall. Putting them higher than the wrist means there's a bigger area for measurements without light bleeding under it (important for small women), and cold hands in winter and related reduced blood flow also play less of a role. I used to have a Scosche Rhythm + that died earlier this year and now use a Polar OH1+ and am happy with both. One thing though: Optical sensors only work properly if your skin is not too dark, too thick and does not contain too much hair. Do check out DC Rainmaker. He has lots of good reviews and comparisons with chest straps on his site.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    In addition to what other people have said, a good chunk of the accuracy issues people have with otherwise reliable wrist based HR monitores when running (as opposed to some other activities/sports) is due to user error. There's a good blog post on DCRainmaker about that here.

THIS ^^^^^^^^

While not all the issues are user related, once I learned the tricks of getting good readings, I get pretty solid readings while running now that actually make sense. The clothing I wore on colder runs affected it, the location on my wrist was too loose causing issues, etc.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your helpful comments, lots for me to think about.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Chest strap is still going to be more accurate. I can go for a ride and sometimes my average HR on my watch is pretty close to my bike computer that is reading my chest strap...other times it's ridiculously off. Awhile back I got into racing time trials...mostly 12Ks as hard as you can go and still finish. On one race my bike computer gave me an average HR of 155...my watch gave me an average of 105.
  • Carmen_TX
    Carmen_TX Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The HR from my Fitbit blaze watch is 100% wrong most of the time. I hear the same thing from my friends with the other brands etc. I stick with my chest strap.