Strange holiday weight gain

Options
So I’ve just come back from my one week holiday in Turkey. I really enjoyed it and we walked ALOT, infact I was on my feet from 10am till midnight. I also ate good food but didn’t go crazy. My body looks the same but I stepped on the scales and I’ve gained 8lbs. How on earth did I gain 8lbs? Is it all water weight. At most I gained half a pound of fat so could the rest be water. I really don’t understand the scale sometimes. I expected to gain 2/3 lbs but not 8 lbs...

Replies

• elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    who is to say? time will tell
  • lukejoycePT
    lukejoycePT Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Relax. You went on holiday. You are going to put weight on, if you don't then you haven't enjoyed yourself in my opinion.

You wouldn't have put on 8lbs of fat in a week, that would be insane. A lot of it will be water and i am assuming you went on a plane? Flying is really tough on the body, you'll retain more water from that and also some inflammation. It all adds weight.

Just eat in a calorie deficit for a few weeks and you'll be back to your original weight i'm sure.
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    So I’ve just come back from my one week holiday in Turkey. I really enjoyed it and we walked ALOT, infact I was on my feet from 10am till midnight. I also ate good food but didn’t go crazy. My body looks the same but I stepped on the scales and I’ve gained 8lbs. How on earth did I gain 8lbs? Is it all water weight. At most I gained half a pound of fat so could the rest be water. I really don’t understand the scale sometimes. I expected to gain 2/3 lbs but not 8 lbs...

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,908 Member
    Options
    I just spent a month in Ukraine and Republic of Georgia on a culture/food trip. I let myself go, so I could try wonderful foods that were completely new to me. (Who knew nettles were delicious, but only edible one week of the year?!) Easily 4,000+ calories per day.

I was up six pounds when I got back, and it came off in a couple of weeks.

Then I did a one week wagon train, with lovely campfire cooking (and absolutely no healthy alternatives out there unless I wanted to walk thirty miles to the closest town) followed by a lake visit with friends in MInneapolis, who lived near some place called Culver’s. Frozen custard...... my new favorite thing. Heaven help me if they come down south. Yup. More 4000+ days.

I came home ten pounds up as of last Wednesday. It’s already all gone except a pound.

It’ll come off amazingly fast if you throw yourself back into your routine and don’t use it as a springboard to continuing bad behavior.

Our bodies are wonderful machines, and want to cooperate with us.

And it was wonderfully easy to get back into the routine. Sometimes it felt like a chore eating all that good food, ( Except the custard and the katchapuri bread and the baklavas and all those glorious homemade cheeses.....)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am up nearly 7 pounds today and I know for a fact it is all water weight. I know this because I have logged all my food and I have maintained my deficit. I have eaten a lot of restaurant food for the last few days and the sodium levels are making me retain additional water. It will mostly be gone by Thurs. I know because this because I have seen it happen many many times.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Vacation food is often salty = water retention. (my guess anyway)! Also, perhaps you were a bit dehydrated for your previous weigh in???
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs in the week after I got back from a long vacation abroad... a measure, I think, of how much water retention there was from my trip. As everyone else has said, between the salty food and the actual stress of traveling (lack of sleep in planes/airports for me, for example) with resulting increases in cortisol... there are all sorts of reasons why you may be carrying around a lot of water.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Hmmm some really interesting points here: I travelled on 4 planes, ate plenty of carbs and salty food and maybe I was dehydrated? I also didn’t sleep much.