Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    I read Taubes' Why we get Fat book first and found out about GCBC and I am workig my way through it. Definitely gives you research based ammunition!:bigsmile:

Yes! Knowledge>Ignorance
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, just checking in. I hope anyone who is in Irene's path is prepared and comes out safe and sound. Being in Louisiana I can honestly say I don't miss the worry. Hope everyone has a great Low Carb weekend. :)
  • Meganne1982
    Options
    If it weren't for this group, I would leave MFP. Seriously. I was about to just delete my whole account a few minutes ago, then realized that this is the only place to get real support online for Atkins. Plus, you guys are pretty cool =)

Yeah, without this and related threads on paleo and other related lifestyles and you wonderful people who GET IT, I couldn't handle this sight. So much ignorance and negativity.

Thank you all for helping me not feel alone :):)
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    After eating low-fat and SAD for so long, I sometimes need reassurance that my new low-carb eating is the healthy way. So, I saw a post on a thread by another low-carber (I think) that said that if you eat low carb for too long, it messes with your thyroid, and causes your metabolism to slow down. Since I've been in a plateau for about 2 weeks, I'm starting to wonder?
    Has anyone heard this before? Is it true? Comments? Thanks!

I've heard that it's a good idea to have a cheat day (high carb) every once in awhile (assuming you've been in ketosis the whole time) to keep your thyroid in check. Don't know if it's just bro science, or if there is legitimate science behind it.

I usually have a cheat day every couple of weeks. My wife can't go that long without carbs (she responds to them better than me). We're planning on having our cheat day tomorrow.

Maybe I should put a cheat day in, once a month or so....
    I usually have a cheat day every couple of weeks. My wife can't go that long without carbs (she responds to them better than me). We're planning on having our cheat day tomorrow.

I started out with a planned cheat day once a week and early on I did take it. These days I go several weeks before I even think about it. I think psychologically its a good thing to have a cheat day. Less guilt over doing it and you feel more in control. So yes on cheat days!!! The caveat is that when that days is over, its over. No ifs, ands, buts or maybes.

SO, that's 2 votes for the cheat day!
    After eating low-fat and SAD for so long, I sometimes need reassurance that my new low-carb eating is the healthy way. So, I saw a post on a thread by another low-carber (I think) that said that if you eat low carb for too long, it messes with your thyroid, and causes your metabolism to slow down. Since I've been in a plateau for about 2 weeks, I'm starting to wonder?
    Has anyone heard this before? Is it true? Comments? Thanks!

I look to my mother and her siblings for my real life proof that low-carbing is healthy and sustainable in the long term. In the mid90s... I think 1995... My mother and her sister were both diagnosed as T2 diabetics. My uncle was in a pre-diabetic state, he had been an all organic vegan for years, and was skinny as a rail, but really sick with totally messed up blood sugar. They all went on Atkins. Today they are all still veeerrrrryyy low-carb- my mother is hard core. She is no longer diabetic and is in ridiculous shape. She gets her blood work done every 6 months and her results are phenomenal. She is so healthy and fit it's crazy. My uncle is also in an amzing place. My aunt has had a tougher time- she is still diabetic, but isn't on any meds, she keeps herself in check with the low-carb diet, but she has never been able to be as strict as my mother. She always has eaten a lot of fruits, and"cheats" now and then. I think it was harder for her because her family did not embrace her changes, and actually really gave her a hard time, but recently her husband changed his tune and gave low carb a try- he has lost 30 pounds. My step-dad has lost 40 pounds since going low carb- he's 70 and barely looks or acts a day over 40.

To me my mother is proof that this lifestyle is healthy and is something that can be done for the long haul :)

That's very encouraging! I'm trying to convince my mother to get rid of all the low-fat garbage in her house, and start eating low-carb. I would love for her to get off her cholestrol meds, and eat more fats, so she can stop taking seizure meds. She's almost 70, so I don't know if she'll listen. It's frustrating...
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    reminds of a joke i heard (mind you, this is from the time when the atkins diet was the IN thing and everyone you spoke to was doing it)

"people on the atkins diet lose weight from all the energy they burn telling people that they are on the atkins diet"
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have read some articles supporting cheat days. I have read that cheat days can help prevent the metabolism slow down that can come with almost any diet. I say go for it.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    The weight that the Whoosh Fairy took yesterday is still off today. I'm thinking it is a legit weight loads now.

On a side note, my neighborhood is under a mandatory evacuation because of Irene. Boo! We have till 5pm to get out :(
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The weight that the Whoosh Fairy took yesterday is still off today. I'm thinking it is a legit weight loads now.

On a side note, my neighborhood is under a mandatory evacuation because of Irene. Boo! We have till 5pm to get out :(

Congrats on the WF visit. I'm waiting for it to come see me again, too!

Please evac. Don't try to brave it out. Having been through Bertha, Fran, Josephine, Rita and Katrina, I can tell you that when they say go, you should definitely go. Be safe, most importantly.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Lockef- thanks for the link that fat whoosh makes sense and gives me hope wish my would whoosh more often.:grumble: I lose like 10 in 2 weeks then stop for 2 months but lose inches.

Susan- I have my diary set to 10% carbs but don't reach them most days, 40% protein and 50% fat. I eat lots of fat, and try to get a lot of protein in. I use coconut oil, butter, and of course bacon grease and some olive oil but after reading up now prefer coconut to olive. I am hoping my plateaus are from this whoosh thing and I will whoosh soon!:laugh:

A lady on another thread used slices of eggplant for pizza crust I know it is a little higher in carb than zucchini but would give you a larger base if you used the fat end or even cut it lengthwise. I would probably brown both sides firstthen bake with toppings and cheese.

If you are having trouble losing weight, you may want to try eating less protein, closer to 25% and at least 60% fat. This is Atkins guidelines, not my opinion. You may want to try it for a week and see how it goes. A lot of folks have success with this formula.
  • ani622
    ani622 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started Atkins at the end of July and have lost around 15 lbs this month! Amazing!!!!
    I decided I needed to carb up yesterday but did not enjoy being "sick" to my stomach all day.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Thanks Susan I will try that, heck I'll try anything I just want the Whoosh Fairy to visit me again I seem to "whoosh" about every 2 months but only 10 pounds at a time. At almost 300 pounds my doctor and everyone else keeps telling me that I should be losing more consistently and not plateauing as long so maybe lowering protein and upping fat will help.

As I read Taubes Good Calories, Bad Calories I am getting angrier as I read all the research and hypotheses that were just thrown aside due to the overwhelming drive for efficacy behind thermodynamics (calories in calories out) and them letting that belief outweigh the proof that another possibility existed and still exists - it boggles my mind. These are educated medical professionals top of their field and scientists. I thought proof was what they sought and that they harp on not being able to deny evidence well they totally denied evidence that hormones(insulin in particular) drive fat storage and usage and decided that if you were obese it just HAD to be a character defect. This really angers me. I have been obese my whole life and always heard from doctors that I needed to eat less and exercise more and I stuck to their crappy low calorie, low fat, high carb diets and starved myself my whole life and when I would go back and didn't get the results they thought I should have they blamed me and said it was not possible to eat their diet and not lose weight well HELLO must be possible it happened I even gained on as little as 800-1000 calories so of course they said I cheated I ate way more than they told me too, I was lying about what I ate,etc. This went on my whole life until their crappy wisdom or lack of wisdom I should say got me to 535 pounds and according to their own rules I would have had to be eating 6000+ calories a day to maintain that weight when I was actually eating 800-2000 a day depending on the day with the majority at about 1200-1300 cals. Not only did I not lose weight but they ingrained in me since I was a small child that I was a glutton with no self control and that everything I did was wrong and I just wasn't capable of controlling myself. Do they not know what that does to a child? And my mom believed them thought I had to be sneaking food, even though she was close to 350 herself and knew she didn't eat the amounts they were saying I had to be eating. And now I read there is undeniable evidence that obese people and animals can gain weight when fed too few calories of the wrong fuels and essentially are malnourished and experience cellular level hunger when not fed sufficient proteins and fats or are fed them along with too many carbohydrates. Why was this body of work from many different researchers across the world, throughout several centuries just ignored and pushed aside? Is the grain subsidy in this country really worth more than the health of its people? Okay off my soap box and going back to finish the book I am in the last chapter or so.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Thanks Susan I will try that, heck I'll try anything I just want the Whoosh Fairy to visit me again I seem to "whoosh" about every 2 months but only 10 pounds at a time. At almost 300 pounds my doctor and everyone else keeps telling me that I should be losing more consistently and not plateauing as long so maybe lowering protein and upping fat will help.

As I read Taubes Good Calories, Bad Calories I am getting angrier as I read all the research and hypotheses that were just thrown aside due to the overwhelming drive for efficacy behind thermodynamics (calories in calories out) and them letting that belief outweigh the proof that another possibility existed and still exists - it boggles my mind. These are educated medical professionals top of their field and scientists. I thought proof was what they sought and that they harp on not being able to deny evidence well they totally denied evidence that hormones(insulin in particular) drive fat storage and usage and decided that if you were obese it just HAD to be a character defect. This really angers me. I have been obese my whole life and always heard from doctors that I needed to eat less and exercise more and I stuck to their crappy low calorie, low fat, high carb diets and starved myself my whole life and when I would go back and didn't get the results they thought I should have they blamed me and said it was not possible to eat their diet and not lose weight well HELLO must be possible it happened I even gained on as little as 800-1000 calories so of course they said I cheated I ate way more than they told me too, I was lying about what I ate,etc. This went on my whole life until their crappy wisdom or lack of wisdom I should say got me to 535 pounds and according to their own rules I would have had to be eating 6000+ calories a day to maintain that weight when I was actually eating 800-2000 a day depending on the day with the majority at about 1200-1300 cals. Not only did I not lose weight but they ingrained in me since I was a small child that I was a glutton with no self control and that everything I did was wrong and I just wasn't capable of controlling myself. Do they not know what that does to a child? And my mom believed them thought I had to be sneaking food, even though she was close to 350 herself and knew she didn't eat the amounts they were saying I had to be eating. And now I read there is undeniable evidence that obese people and animals can gain weight when fed too few calories of the wrong fuels and essentially are malnourished and experience cellular level hunger when not fed sufficient proteins and fats or are fed them along with too many carbohydrates. Why was this body of work from many different researchers across the world, throughout several centuries just ignored and pushed aside? Is the grain subsidy in this country really worth more than the health of its people? Okay off my soap box and going back to finish the book I am in the last chapter or so.

I'm as angry as you! I felt that after watching Fathead, the movie. How could they do that to a whole nation, world of people. I feel like we are all guinea pigs in an experiment gone awry! So, what changed your mind? I mean, did a doctor finally recommend Atkins or low-carb, or did you exhaust all your options? Great job on your amazing weight loss!

As far as my and your plateau's, I've decided that when I have cheated (once, 2 weeks ago to eat cake and stuff at a wedding), I didn't feel all that great. So, if I have a cheat day, it probably won't be carb-laden foods, maybe I'll just allow myself more of the low-carb stuff that I like! A girl at my workout this morning, says don't give up, the plateau could be my bodies way of protecting itself--after being a certain weight for so long, it's got to put up a little fight! Still, waiting for the Whoosh Fairy....
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    martinah- I was actually part of the studies conducted in the late 70's by NIH in Bethesda,MD I was the only child participant(I turned 5 in the study) It was inpatient they fed me and made me exercise, etc and weighed, measured, and did bloodwork to determine the effects of several diets. I weighed 150 at the time and was the height of an average 9yr old. The first put me on a 350 calories balanced diet and I gained weight, then they put me on Ornish (low fat high carb) and I gained more so my mom threatened to take me out of the study. The last diet they tried was Atkins induction but a low fat version because they thought they would kill me if they fed me "all that fat", after 2 weeks I had dropped 18 pounds and sent me home and told mom to feed me extremely lean meats like chicken breast and salads with no dressing, dill pickles, all the things I had come to hate in the hospital and Mom said when I left the hospital I was lifeless, no shine in my eyes or my hair I was like a limp dishrag! So she didn't think it was healthy and started feeding me like she had always fed me. She told me about the study when I was in my late teens and about 450 pounds or so, and I tried low carbing unsuccessfully for years because I was so addicted to carbs. I had gastric bypass 10 yrs ago come December and lost a good amount but felt like craps still. Then I was tested for food allergies (after I moved to Las Vegas) and found out I am allergic to wheat, soy and many other foods two years ago. My allergist told me to go off wheat and soy completely for 8 weeks and come back. I did it but kept eating rice, corn, and other grains. But my cravings for the carby foods diminished and by the end of the 8 weeks I didn't want the other carbs either. My whole addiction to carbs was due to my wheat allergies. The body will often become addicted to the very foods we are allergic to strangely enough. So then I started the Primal Blueprint and reread all the low carb books I got the new Atkins book, too. At first I was losing fine on 80-100gm a day (Primal) in mostly veggies and fruit then I had to eliminate fruits almost completely and then had to eventually lower my veggies and now I am at a ketotic level almost daily and I just won't whoosh.:laugh: But as for doctors suggesting Atkins, or a low carb diet that didn't happen until I moved to Las Vegas. There are a lot of newer doctors here and they have all read the Duke and Stanford studies and believe that low carb is the way to go to lose weight for their obese patients. Their minds are open and they realize that low fat, high carb never worked. So I have had a lot more support here for it. In Virginia my doctors still harped on the balanced FDA pyramid and discouraged me from trying "fad diets" like Atkins and I listened even though my body kept telling me it was what was best for me. I guess our heads and the things our heads learn from the world and supposed experts around us sometimes win out over our body's instincts and I had been taught all my life not to trust my own body.
  • martinah4
    Options
    martinah- I was actually part of the studies conducted in the late 70's by NIH in Bethesda,MD I was the only child participant(I turned 5 in the study) It was inpatient they fed me and made me exercise, etc and weighed, measured, and did bloodwork to determine the effects of several diets. I weighed 150 at the time and was the height of an average 9yr old. The first put me on a 350 calories balanced diet and I gained weight, then they put me on Ornish (low fat high carb) and I gained more so my mom threatened to take me out of the study. The last diet they tried was Atkins induction but a low fat version because they thought they would kill me if they fed me "all that fat", after 2 weeks I had dropped 18 pounds and sent me home and told mom to feed me extremely lean meats like chicken breast and salads with no dressing, dill pickles, all the things I had come to hate in the hospital and Mom said when I left the hospital I was lifeless, no shine in my eyes or my hair I was like a limp dishrag! So she didn't think it was healthy and started feeding me like she had always fed me. She told me about the study when I was in my late teens and about 450 pounds or so, and I tried low carbing unsuccessfully for years because I was so addicted to carbs. I had gastric bypass 10 yrs ago come December and lost a good amount but felt like craps still. Then I was tested for food allergies (after I moved to Las Vegas) and found out I am allergic to wheat, soy and many other foods two years ago. My allergist told me to go off wheat and soy completely for 8 weeks and come back. I did it but kept eating rice, corn, and other grains. But my cravings for the carby foods diminished and by the end of the 8 weeks I didn't want the other carbs either. My whole addiction to carbs was due to my wheat allergies. The body will often become addicted to the very foods we are allergic to strangely enough. So then I started the Primal Blueprint and reread all the low carb books I got the new Atkins book, too. At first I was losing fine on 80-100gm a day (Primal) in mostly veggies and fruit then I had to eliminate fruits almost completely and then had to eventually lower my veggies and now I am at a ketotic level almost daily and I just won't whoosh.:laugh: But as for doctors suggesting Atkins, or a low carb diet that didn't happen until I moved to Las Vegas. There are a lot of newer doctors here and they have all read the Duke and Stanford studies and believe that low carb is the way to go to lose weight for their obese patients. Their minds are open and they realize that low fat, high carb never worked. So I have had a lot more support here for it. In Virginia my doctors still harped on the balanced FDA pyramid and discouraged me from trying "fad diets" like Atkins and I listened even though my body kept telling me it was what was best for me. I guess our heads and the things our heads learn from the world and supposed experts around us sometimes win out over our body's instincts and I had been taught all my life not to trust my own body.

That's an incredible story! Were you that heavy as a child because of diabetes? Or the wheat allergy? Or you just had insulin resistance as a child? Wow! I'm so glad you are on the right path and losing weight (you look great, by the way!). I'll bet you want to get to your goal weight, and go to your old doctors and say "neener, neener, neener..."!
  • martinah4
    Options

That's an incredible story! Were you that heavy as a child because of diabetes? Or the wheat allergy? Or you just had insulin resistance as a child? Wow! I'm so glad you are on the right path and losing weight (you look great, by the way!). I'll bet you want to get to your goal weight, and go to your old doctors and say "neener, neener, neener..."!

On a different topic, I saw a video of a Today show about a new book coming out for kids, Maggie Goes on a Diet. A lot of controversy, but basicly, Maggie is 14 years old and obese, and all the kids poke fun at her. She puts herself on a diet, excercises, gets skinny, becomes popular and is the star of her soccer team.

The diet, of course, is one high in grains and low-fat, etc. The author is probably pushing close to 300 lbs, and obviously, this low-fat/high-carb diet hasn't worked for him (yet?). So, I have my opinions. What are yours, my Atkins friends?
  • AmyNVegas
    Options
    Martinah- I was never diabetic I was hyperinsulinemic, just produce way too much insulin when I eat carbs so I store everythign as fat and never get around to burning it, my whole family does. My mom told me the doctors said I had a problem processing carbohydrates and that I was hyperinsulinemic they found this by doing blood tests on me before and after meals while I was on Ornish and then again on Atkins and they found that the hyperinsulinemia corrected itself when I was on Atkins. I think if they had done it right with fat mom would have kept me on it. Atkins was just starting to take off then so mom didn't know the diet well enough to know they did it wrong, extremely low fat.

As for the book I think it is ridiculous that they are teaching kids that if they would just look good enough they would be popular. Why did she have to get skinny to make friends and be popular? I think we need more books about loving yourself just the way you are no matter how different you are. And you are right is he living vicariously through the girl in the book and strange he made it a girl not a boy character. But we know boys don't get teased as much for weight as girls especially in high school they are the linebackers, not saying that none of them get fun of but I think it is harder for females in general when it comes to overweight.
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I find that book troubling. What I find even more troubling is the fact that it is even necessary to have a book about an overweight child having to lose weight. That says something about our society as a whole. We are a society of fat, unhealthy people.
    It makes me sad :(
  • pork_belly
    pork_belly Posts: 144
    Options
    martinah- I was actually part of the studies conducted in the late 70's by NIH in Bethesda,MD I was the only child participant(I turned 5 in the study)

Wow!!! This makes the book even more authoritative in my eyes. It does make one angry even more so to see that the same people are still insisting the same thing in this day and age.
  • martinah4
    Options
    So, I think the Whoosh Fairy visited last night. I was down 2.5 lbs! But, like an earlier poster, I'm going to see if it sticks tomorrow morning on the scale....don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    So, I think the Whoosh Fairy visited last night. I was down 2.5 lbs! But, like an earlier poster, I'm going to see if it sticks tomorrow morning on the scale....don't want to count my chickens before they hatch.

Yeah I told the WF that if she didn't go to your house, that she would have to watch her back!!! lol Congrats!

So I am back from my sister in laws house due to my emergency evacuation. It was a blast being around the family, but I did slip up a bit. I had one Milano Melt cookie, two teaspoons of sugar in my coffee, an english muffin, and a few bites of mangu (typical Dominican brekkie dish made with plantains.) I made sure to drink tons of water though and when I got back today and jumped on the scale, I lost another half pound. WHEW! The WF loss was the real thing, plus my slip ups don't seem to have an effect on me. Not yet at least. Not going to risk it again though. Not for now.