Army Standards (push ups, sit ups, 2 mile run)

As it stands, my plan is to teach one more academic year, then join the army. This means I have until the spring to lose 100 pounds, and pass the PT standards for the army. Given that I am 340 pounds, what are some routines I can implement to start training specifically to be better at doing push ups, sit ups, and running 2 miles in under 14:00? Any tips on one or all of these would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    I would guess it would be practising those things; push ups, sit ups and running. Use variations to work up to proper push ups and start the C25k for running. You mentioned in the other thread that you just read Goggins' book, sounds like you're in a similar situation as he was but you won't be doing SEAL training thankfully!
  • JordanS9592
    JordanS9592 Posts: 94 Member
    naomi8888 wrote: »
    I would guess it would be practising those things; push ups, sit ups and running. Use variations to work up to proper push ups and start the C25k for running. You mentioned in the other thread that you just read Goggins' book, sounds like you're in a similar situation as he was but you won't be doing SEAL training thankfully!

True, but I want to have the same toughness regardless.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    How long have you been on this journey? Remember Goggins is a freak - he's probably in the top 0.000001% of the population!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2019
    Go ahead and perfect your situp/pushup/run numbers/times for your age group. There are numerous APFT preparedness plans/routines/schedules just a Google away.

But you might want to pay attention to this and keep an eye on if it is on track to be implemented in 15 months as originally proposed: https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/07/09/a-new-army-pt-test-is-on-its-way-this-is-not-a-drill/

And: https://warontherocks.com/2018/10/dumb-and-dumber-the-armys-new-pt-test/

And so on.

I say to still plan for the old standard because, much like its uniforms, the Army has been mucking about and routinely stating it is going to change the APFT standards since at least 2005. As such you just never know which standard is going to be in place when you enlist or commission.
  • JordanS9592
    naomi8888 wrote: »
    How long have you been on this journey? Remember Goggins is a freak - he's probably in the top 0.000001% of the population!
    Trust me, I know I’m not at freak level, but I believe I have it in me deep down. I have been on this journey, and mostly failing, since January 2018. But now that I have a new goal to join the army, I’m determined to start a new lifestyle. Read my thread in the introductions section for the full frustrating story.
  • JordanS9592
    Go ahead and perfect your situp/pushup/run numbers/times for your age group. There are numerous APFT preparedness plans/routines/schedules just a Google away.

But you might want to pay attention to this and keep an eye on if it is on track to be implemented in 15 months as originally proposed: https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/07/09/a-new-army-pt-test-is-on-its-way-this-is-not-a-drill/

And: https://warontherocks.com/2018/10/dumb-and-dumber-the-armys-new-pt-test/

And so on.

I say to still plan for the old standard because, much like its uniforms, the Army has been mucking about and routinely stating it is going to change the APFT standards since at least 2005. As such you just never know which standard is going to be in place when you enlist or commission.

Pretty much everything I needed to know in one post. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Where's @OldAssDude? Tell this young man what he can expect when he joins the Army. :D

I suggest focusing on losing the weight right now. Walk/run a little (couch to 5k is a good starting program) and do some full body weight routines for a couple months.

I'm not sure what is like now but 30 years ago when I was in Basic Training we had a group that did not pass the PT test at the beginning and were put into a special program called "Fit Co". They got extra PT every day. I'm pretty sure I would NOT want to be in that group. :D It is good that you are working on this now.

Good luck.

Any idea what you want to do (MOS)?
  • JordanS9592
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Where's @OldAssDude? Tell this young man what he can expect when he joins the Army. :D

I suggest focusing on losing the weight right now. Walk/run a little (couch to 5k is a good starting program) and do some full body weight routines for a couple months.

I'm not sure what is like now but 30 years ago when I was in Basic Training we had a group that did not pass the PT test at the beginning and were put into a special program called "Fit Co". They got extra PT every day. I'm pretty sure I would NOT want to be in that group. :D It is good that you are working on this now.

Good luck.

Any idea what you want to do (MOS)?

Thanks brother. I would like to go in as an officer, go through law school, then enter the JAGS program.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    You might consider reaching out to a podcaster Mike Daggett (Fatdag). His weight loss journey was prompted by issues with the Air Force PT test which almost got him kicked out. He is very encouraging and down to earth. My gut says if you email him he’d likely respond. I had the pleasure of meeting him when he was here for an event. He is very passionate about the impact of weight struggles for the military.
  • JordanS9592
    You might consider reaching out to a podcaster Mike Daggett (Fatdag). His weight loss journey was prompted by issues with the Air Force PT test which almost got him kicked out. He is very encouraging and down to earth. My gut says if you email him he’d likely respond. I had the pleasure of meeting him when he was here for an event. He is very passionate about the impact of weight struggles for the military.

Thanks for the reference
  • tmac68w
    tmac68w Posts: 19 Member
    The Army is changing its course in regards to Physical Training(PT) and thus the APFT has already begun its transformation i to the ACFT. I recommend you look into ACFT.com and pull routines geared specifically towars YOUR goal of being physically fit for the Army. Oct of last year the Army trialed this versin of the PT test with 62 Battalions across the Army. This Oct they will make changes and push it out again for another year. Then in Oct 2020 the Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT) will be the test of record.with all of this being said, the initial entry test you take next year willnot be the same as it is currently. Again, ACFT.com, look into that site because it is better than the actual ACFT handbook routines. Hope you succeed in meeting your goal.
  • JordanS9592
    tmac68w wrote: »
    The Army is changing its course in regards to Physical Training(PT) and thus the APFT has already begun its transformation i to the ACFT. I recommend you look into ACFT.com and pull routines geared specifically towars YOUR goal of being physically fit for the Army. Oct of last year the Army trialed this versin of the PT test with 62 Battalions across the Army. This Oct they will make changes and push it out again for another year. Then in Oct 2020 the Army Combat Fitness Test (ACFT) will be the test of record.with all of this being said, the initial entry test you take next year willnot be the same as it is currently. Again, ACFT.com, look into that site because it is better than the actual ACFT handbook routines. Hope you succeed in meeting your goal.

Thanks for the tip.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    As someone who served in the military and now trains tactical athletes, I will tell you that it's best for you to drop the extra weight first and keep it off.

The military has a way of turning it's head and only looking at your weight regardless of your physical capabilities.

I wouldn't look at training specifically to pass your physical fitness tests until you're closer to joining, perhaps 6 months.

Since you're at least 1 year out, train your general fitness qualities. That will help you to stay injury free along your journey and be prepared for more than just a fitness test.

Bootcamp and OCS have a lot more physical things going on than just a single fitness test and remember as a member of the military, you're expected to be ready for anything even if your mos doesn't say that's your job.

Grip strength and core strength and endurance will be vital to you.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Lots of good suggestions. I would speak to your recruiter. The are in the business of being able to get people ready to qualify for service. He/she will have programs and the latest on any possible changes to the testing routine.

Thank you for your willingness to serve.
  • JordanS9592
    MT1134 wrote: »
    As someone who served in the military and now trains tactical athletes, I will tell you that it's best for you to drop the extra weight first and keep it off.

The military has a way of turning it's head and only looking at your weight regardless of your physical capabilities.

I wouldn't look at training specifically to pass your physical fitness tests until you're closer to joining, perhaps 6 months.

Since you're at least 1 year out, train your general fitness qualities. That will help you to stay injury free along your journey and be prepared for more than just a fitness test.

Bootcamp and OCS have a lot more physical things going on than just a single fitness test and remember as a member of the military, you're expected to be ready for anything even if your mos doesn't say that's your job.

Grip strength and core strength and endurance will be vital to you.

Thanks for the tips. That is helpful. I’m doing a lot of swimming while it’s warm outside. That’s been helping.
  • JordanS9592
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Lots of good suggestions. I would speak to your recruiter. The are in the business of being able to get people ready to qualify for service. He/she will have programs and the latest on any possible changes to the testing routine.

Thank you for your willingness to serve.

Thank you for your service. My local recruiter told me to get down to 22% body fat before he will talk to me.