how to make brown rice more tasty ??

Options
hi, so i followed this video to make brown rice in 15-20 mins with pressure cooker method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC4uAfkHH4I

Now it was made,but my god was it bland and i could not eat it with no freaking taste. can anyone plz help :)

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I used to eat brown rice... until I realized I didn't need to. I much prefer white rice and they are similar nutritionally. You can always flavor rice with saffron to make yellow rice and make it tastier. But white rice works well with a lot of different foods. Just not strictly on its own. I have rice most days (I live in Latin America, we like our rice), and it can fit in both a weight loss diet and a tasty diet.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    For 1 cup of uncooked rice, I add in half tsp kosher salt, garlic powder, quarter tsp coarse ground black pepper, 1 tblsp parsley, dried minced onion. Sometimes I toss in some nutritional yeast as well.

I sometimes make with chicken broth instead of water.

You can still add seasoning after its cooked.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Brown or white rice doesn't have taste, you have to add things to it or put stuff on top of it.

Cook it in broth.
    Season it with salt, pepper, herbs, spices.
    Mix in stir fried veggies, canned beans in sauce, sauteed shrimp.
    Put stew or chili on top of it.
    Mix in some soy or teriyaki sauce.
    Put it in a burrito with shredded chicken and fixins.

You can also use jasmine, or other fancier rices, that do have some taste on their own. You'll still want to season it liberally.

I actually like pretty much plain brown or white rice, but I still need it well seasoned with salt & pepper and a quick shake of olive oil.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy eating white rice? If so, season the brown rice the same way you would the white rice. If not, what are you hoping to gain from eating the brown rice?

If you don't normally eat rice at all (white or brown), and you find it bland and unappealing, for most people (without special medical conditions) there's no reason to eat it at all. Eat something else you find more rewarding: The nutrients in the rice, as you'll see above, are fairly modest (though there are some additional micronutrients not listed), and those nutrients are easily gotten from other food sources, so it shouldn't be hard to find some tastier way to consume them.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    For all rice, if you toast it in butter/or oil before adding the liquid (water or broth) it adds a lot of flavor. I bought Lundberg California white basmati rice last time. It’s really fragrant and tasty. I think they have a brown one as well.
  • FriendlyNeighborhoodEngineer
    Options
    So you may think I'm crazy, but I typically will season it with a little garlic powder or garlic salt and then some soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce. You can mix and match those four things anyway you want depending on how much sodium you're looking to intake, but it usually helps me make my brown rice much more palatable.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I make it part of a dish, rather than eating it on its own. Top it with stir fry, or beans, mix in browned ground turkey or lean beef and some tomato sauce - you can get creative with it.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    You can add a wide variety of seasonings to make rice more tasty, starting w/salt.

I like to add salt and sliced green onions to white rice (I seldom cook brown).

There's also Japanese furikake (a blend of different seasoning) available in a wide variety of flavors which is used as a rice seasoning. You can find it at Asian mkts or online.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I add butter, lemon juice and soy sauce, but I'm weird like that.

Rice is extremely unappetizing without some kind of topping. That's why it's so good in stir fry, with the sauce on it.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,313 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I add butter, lemon juice and soy sauce, but I'm weird like that.

Rice is extremely unappetizing without some kind of topping. That's why it's so good in stir fry, with the sauce on it.

I do the same.. minus the butter . And I'm Asian.. rice is pretty much staple food..😆
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,990 Member
    Options
    The reason I prefer brown rice to white rice, when I have the time or it's available somewhere I'm eating out, is that at least it's not as bland as white rice.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I never eat rice unless I’m already eating something delicious and saucy, and I need to add a little something to my meal to bulk it up. For example, if I made a curry for the week but it’s not exactly the right caloric amount for my lunch (normally 500-600 calories), I will cook up some rice and add it. But I’ll never eat it plain; too boring

I do love rice in sushi, though.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I make my rice this way now.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe-1944197

A pat of butter and a pinch of salt.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Because of all of you *points at everyone in thread* I couldn't stop thinking about how much I love rice and went online and ordered Sprouted Brown Rice and Organic Wild Black Rice. Can't wait to make them!!! ☺

Same. I made a pot of four servings of brown rice and immediately ate two portions of it along with a chicken thigh. How "diet-y" can I get? :)

On the rice, a sprinkle of powdered chicken bouillon, some fresh cracked pepper and a bit of unrefined coconut oil, in keeping with the "how to make brown rice more tasty," thread theme.