started Keto a week ago

Options
Hi, i started a Ketogenic diet a week ago and it would be great to find some like minded friends for support and accountability. At the start of July when i started i am (5'11 height) (347 lbs) (48.8 bmi) (2931 bmr) (58" 1/4 waist) (19 neck) (47% fat mass) so far for the first week i have logged all my macros, and i have been walk/running incline 65 min at the gym on the first 4 days and then had an actual leg day on the 5th...

i could say i feel great but man it hurts DOMS set in and is kicking my butt..any recommendations? I've tried to stay active since, but I've been so sore. I've been forcing myself to walk and foam roll my muscle's but every time i sit it comes right back...however, even though it hurts i feel like I've earned this pain and i'm happy about it.

i can't wait to get back in the gym and get back to a real workout.

Replies

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hey there, the longer you stick with it, the less DOMS there will be, so keep it up!
  • stryker1222
    stryker1222 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    im hoping i just got back from a workout 1 hr cardio and arm day im still dieing lmao we'll see what happens tomarrow
  • giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Be sure to get enough rest and not to over-work any particular muscle group. I would also suggest you focus more on resistance training and do 30 mins cardio 2-3 times a week max.
  • Kokodaready2020
    Kokodaready2020 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yo can add me if you like I have been doing keto since the start of the year and I'm down 18 kg. resting heart rate down from 65 BPM to 54 BPM and BP from 190/80 down to 120/80.. Loving Keto. Remember not to over work yourself while you adjust to the new eating habits.
  • stryker1222
    stryker1222 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Be sure to get enough rest and not to over-work any particular muscle group. I would also suggest you focus more on resistance training and do 30 mins cardio 2-3 times a week max.

i feel great right now a little sore but we'll see what happens tomorrow..thanks i'll take a look at resistance training.
    Yo can add me if you like I have been doing keto since the start of the year and I'm down 18 kg. resting heart rate down from 65 BPM to 54 BPM and BP from 190/80 down to 120/80.. Loving Keto. Remember not to over work yourself while you adjust to the new eating habits.

added ty i could use the help...honestly so far i'm loving Keto myself i've tried my best to keep in the guide lines but i've had some tough day where i added a bit to much or a bit to little.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    @stryker1222 Did you join Keto group here on MFP ? It's a great group ! x
  • prowell57
    prowell57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    For sore muscles I like to soak in a tub of hot water with about 2 cups Epsom salts dissolved in it.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Agree epsom salt soaks, and sports cream/aspercream work well for sore muscles.

Agree with above commenters, about slow down to 30-35 min workouts 3-5 days a week giving a couple of days to let muscles rest and heal. It is recommended when starting keto to not start a workout program for a couple of months, but if done, to keep it light.

Better for the long run to increase duration and intensity of workouts as you lose weight and hit plateaus. Starting out at such long intense workouts might screw yourself later after a couple of plateaus, and having to increase, creating a workout that's not practical to keep up as a long term life change.

Good luck! I love eating keto! It is a great energy boost! And it is hard not to get so excited and over-do-it...I can understand!