Binge Eating

Jonib98
Jonib98 Posts: 2 Member
Hi guys. I lost about 14 pounds but due to restrictions I started to over eat then that led to binge eating. Does anyone have any tips or ideas to help get out of that mind set?? I’ve lost some of my progress and it’s just puts me back more mentally. It’s a draining cycle I wanna break. I was only eating 1,300 calories while doing heavy strength training and cardio. I’ve bumped them up to 1,630 now and still going to the gym. That number satisfies me but I always end up craving something then eating anything I see...

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    What they said.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Go slower and make room for treats in your plan. Some people are happy having a small treat each day and some people, like me, bank calories during the week to have a really big treat on the weekend.

Be kind to yourself. I was harsh and strict with myself and it led to a large binge-like overfeed each time. Now I manage myself more carefully and I deal with my cravings instead of expecting some force of willpower to keep them in line (it never worked for long).

Don't let perfection get in the way of good enough. If you go over your calorie goal on occasion just accept that life is messy and move on. If you need to take a day off occasionally and eat your maintenance calories just remind yourself that you don't have to lose weight everyday just most days.

I also make sure that I never believe that anything if off limits. The moment I think something is restricted I somehow want it more and more. I tell myself I can have anything I want to eat if I have a plan.

Second this. Bit of a paradox, but when you find balance and are less rigid, results follow.

Also, a question I like to ask myself with how I approach diet/fitness is: “are you having fun?”

Sounds silly, but it helps.

Not silly. I don't ask that but I do make it a goal to be happy-ish each day. I focus on that and let weight loss be a bonus prize when it decides to show up on the scale. I have lost a LARGE amount of weight by trying not to think about weight loss anymore than needed.
  • umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    Jonib98 wrote: »
    Hi guys. I lost about 14 pounds but due to restrictions I started to over eat then that led to binge eating. Does anyone have any tips or ideas to help get out of that mind set?? I’ve lost some of my progress and it’s just puts me back more mentally. It’s a draining cycle I wanna break. I was only eating 1,300 calories while doing heavy strength training and cardio. I’ve bumped them up to 1,630 now and still going to the gym. That number satisfies me but I always end up craving something then eating anything I see...

How far away from your goal are you? What's your height and weight? Also, how long did it take you to lose the weight?
  • maureenseel1984
    maureenseel1984 Posts: 397 Member
    Is that you in your profile picture? Doesn't look like you have much to lose...
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    My binges stopped when I started eating at least 1800 a day (if I stuck to that daily I would lose). I usually range between 2000 to 2500 (maintenance). You probably still aren't eating enough.
  • Jonib98
    Jonib98 Posts: 2 Member

Is that you in your profile picture? Doesn't look like you have much to lose...

Yes that’s me. I’m 5’ 5” and started at 143 pounds and got down to 127. Then my binge eating kind of took control, now I’m in the mid 130’s. I’m truly not looking for a certain number. I like lifting, so I’m trying to lower my body fat percentage. I’m not focusing on the number on the scale. I just track my body fat % change.