Waitressing- calories burned?

I’m trying to be in a calorie deficit at the moment, but whenever I get home after waitressing I’m starving. I don’t want to overeat and be in a calorie surplus so I’m not sure what to do.

Is there any way I can track how many calories I’m burning? I’m not sure my fitbit inspire is accurate- any help?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    edited July 2019
    Just use your fitbit calories, eat a snack when you get home, log your food.

Your work calories are accounted for on myfitnesspal under your Goals/Activity level. Choose the most Active category, let the site work your numbers. It's not "exercise."

Use the fitbit numbers, log food for 4-6 weeks, adjust at that time if your results aren't what you would expect.

That hunger may be because you have set your Goals too aggressively.

How much weight do you need to lose to be in your healthy BMI? What rate of loss did you choose? ("Lose 2 pounds/1 pound/ 0.5 pound?")
  • anb3600
    anb3600 Posts: 46 Member

Your work calories are accounted for on myfitnesspal under your Goals/Activity level. Choose the most Active category, let the site work your numbers. It's not "exercise."

Use the fitbit numbers, log food for 4-6 weeks, adjust at that time if your results aren't what you would expect.

How much weight do you need to lose to be in your healthy BMI? What rate of loss did you choose? ("Lose 2 pounds/1 pound/ 0.5 pound?")

But my Fitbit calories only show how much I’ve burnt the next day (e.g. it says i burnt 1900 yesterday, but I was more active today so I won’t know how many more calories I need to eat today, until tomorrow)
  • cmriverside
    Well I lost all my weight without a fitbit or any other body-tracking device. It doesn't matter which way you do it, it's still an experiment you'll have to run. If you set your Goal on this site to Active, "Lose one pound," and do that for a while you'll know (if you track all your food accurately.)

There is a fitbit group at the top of Groups for info about synching etc.

How much weight do you need to lose to be in a healthy BMI?

You can set your Goals on this site and track food and weigh yourself and come up with a very close number in a 4-6 week trial period.
  • Five0Six
    Five0Six Posts: 112 Member
    I have no practical advice, but I wanted to say as a waitress, you're definitely burning a lot of calories.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    It might take a bit of experimentation and adjustment to hone in on the right number.

Set your activity level to 'Active' and see how you're gong after about 4 weeks. If you find you're not losing weight or losing at a rate lower than expected then drop your activity level to 'Lightly Active'. If you're losing weight too quickly or you're hungry all the time or you're struggling then you can change to 'Very Active'.

Keep checking and making adjustments as needed but just make sure you're giving each adjustment a chance to work so, at least 4 weeks or so at least.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    anb3600 wrote: »
    I’m trying to be in a calorie deficit at the moment, but whenever I get home after waitressing I’m starving. I don’t want to overeat and be in a calorie surplus so I’m not sure what to do.

Is there any way I can track how many calories I’m burning? I’m not sure my fitbit inspire is accurate- any help?

My wife waitresses, used a pedometer one shift and it estimated she had covered 14km.

If your restaurant is anything like as busy as hers Id suggest you are burning quite a few calories in your working day.

Also, given the shift pattern, I find she finds it difficult to eat meals regularly/appropriately. It could be an issue for you? Perhaps making sure you get a meal in before your shift could help?
  • hollieponine
    hollieponine Posts: 14 Member
    I’m a hostess and I buss tables as well.
    I’m working two positions at once.
    I totally understand!
    Keep moving.
    Yet make sure you’re eating enough. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Sure, I was always hungry after work when I waitressed. I was too busy to eat on the job.

I hope you get your FitBit issues sorted. It is supposed to help you same day. But if not, set your activity level to Active or Very Active and see how that goes, as Dan described above.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

But my Fitbit calories only show how much I’ve burnt the next day (e.g. it says i burnt 1900 yesterday, but I was more active today so I won’t know how many more calories I need to eat today, until tomorrow)

What are you syncing your device with - your smart-phone or your computer via bluetooth dongle?

If computer, sync before dinner so you know what you have to work with.

Also - shouldn't take too many days to have a general idea of how much extra you need to eat to keep your diet reasonable and sustainable.

May have a touch extra at dinner to adjust, but if 1900 was a lot day, plan on that every work day and then eat more when you do more.

Also - what fitbit device?
    Most you can look at - look at total burned as the day goes on - subtract 500 - there's your eating goal at that point, knowing how big you want to make your dinner. Don't eat into that if you like a big one.
  • anb3600
    Maxematics wrote: »

Do you not use the Fitbit app or Dashboard on the website? It projects how many calories you can eat without having to wait until the next day. Also, if you have your Fitbit linked to MFP, it will do the same thing.

zglw8zyl2bfa.jpg

9q3hz1ce7cbr.png

For some reason it doesn’t say how many calories I have left

• cmriverside
    edited July 2019
    Yes it does, 1535 calories [in] is your base Goal, 744 left is your current day's activity adjustment for a total of 1828.

Bottom right of the first screenshot.
  • anb3600
    Yes it does, 1535 calories [in] is your base Goal, 744 left is your current day's activity adjustment for a total of 1828.

That wasn’t my screenshot, mine was the second screenshot
  • cmriverside
    edited July 2019

That wasn’t my screenshot, mine was the second screenshot

What happens when you click that "+" sign?

I don't have a fitbit. Would that "+" sign expand the view? Or what about clicking in the 1040 calories eaten box?
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member

Do you not use the Fitbit app or Dashboard on the website? It projects how many calories you can eat without having to wait until the next day. Also, if you have your Fitbit linked to MFP, it will do the same thing.

zglw8zyl2bfa.jpg

9q3hz1ce7cbr.png

Did you set up an eating plan on Fitbit? If not, do so and it should show up!

Select your tile that says 1084 calories eaten and you should be taken to a screen with a bar graph of your calories in vs out. On that screen, tap the top right corner (three vertical dots) and there should be a selection "Edit Food Plan". Tap on that and you should be able to set up a food plan based on your current weight and goal weight. Use the same deficit you chose on MFP and it should get you in the ballpark of where you want to be. When I was losing weight, the suggested calories on MFP and Fitbit were fairly close. This should give you a more solid idea of your calorie allotment for the day without worrying about the adjustments made to your MFP calorie goal.
  • anb3600
    siyclbtm4h16.png

zglw8zyl2bfa.jpg

9q3hz1ce7cbr.png

Select your tile that says 1084 calories eaten and you should be taken to a screen with a bar graph of your calories in vs out. On that screen, tap the top right corner (three vertical dots) and there should be a selection "Edit Food Plan". Tap on that and you should be able to set up a food plan based on your current weight and goal weight. Use the same deficit you chose on MFP and it should get you in the ballpark of where you want to be. When I was losing weight, the suggested calories on MFP and Fitbit were fairly close. This should give you a more solid idea of your calorie allotment for the day without worrying about the adjustments made to your MFP calorie goal.

I can’t find the three vertical dots?

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited July 2019
    siyclbtm4h16.png

zglw8zyl2bfa.jpg

9q3hz1ce7cbr.png

I can’t find the three vertical dots?

Okay, we have different versions. Did you try the plus sign in the top right corner?

Mine looks like this:
    5vwema9idb4b.jpg

• nkolpean
    nkolpean Posts: 94 Member
    @anb3600 Click on your Fitbit account. Then click into Nutrition & Body. Click on the food button and click on help me set a goal. It will set it up so that you can see how many calories you have left for the day. I have the same version as you.