Potato calories

Options
Okay so when I google calories in potatos most sites say a small potato contains about 100 calories. But when I weigh my medium size potatoes they weigh about 60 grams, and 100g of boiled potato contains about 85 calories according to what I find, which would make them half the calories. Am I missing something, or do people just eat really large potatoes? I'm low key freaking out and I don't understand

Replies

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    that's one reason I don't use entries for "1 small" or "1 medium" anything. I find a reliable entry for 100g of the food in question, weight the item, and log it precisely. I mean, what is a "small" anything? It's all relative.
  • sarajohanssoon
    sarajohanssoon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's what I do too, but it just seems really strange that it differs so much. What I would say is a medium potato weighs 60 grams. Is it possible I'm missing something crucial?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    This is where the USDA website comes in quite handy https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

The potatoes I buy are usually closer to 180g (Rooster Baking Potatoes) for a Medium-Sized one, larger ones can be as much as 300g
    This is the entry for white potatoes, raw with skin
    f2lgudfwf14t.png

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    A 60 gram potato would be a ridiculously small potato, in my opinion. We all have our own idea of what constitutes small, medium, or large items, which is why using weight is so much more accurate. To me, a medium potato would be about 150 grams, which is more than 100 calories. :)
  • sarajohanssoon
    Options
    9wxp44m6ipr4.jpeg
    6kz8yxwoc09p.jpeg

Here's reference images. This one weighs 65 grams according to my scale. Do you think it's broken? I tried weighing 100ml of water, which weighs 100g as it should
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    No that's just a teeny tiny potato, your scale is most likely fine.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

This! Veeeery small, adorable potato. :D
  • sytchequeen
    Options
    also, there are hundreds of varieties of potato, which vary in size, texture, and colour. Depending on what you want to make can determine the best potato for the job. The one pictured looks like it needs a friend on your plate, too lonely! :D
  • sarajohanssoon
    Options

[quote="This! Veeeery small, adorable potato. :D [/quote]

Oh is it really? I'd call it medium, it's about the size of an egg (which of course can also be different sizes). Maybe it's different here in Sweden than other countries. Anyways, thanks for the answer. I feel a bit calmer haha
  • sytchequeen
    Options
    Maybe it's different here in Sweden than other countries.

very likely - it will depend on what potato varieties are normally grown and sold there. Here in the UK we get new potatoes much smaller than that one, several served on the plate. We also get massive ones sold as Baking Potatoes which are cooked for quite a long time and served in their skin. Some of the ones I've had were so big they could easily be cut in two and serve both me and the husband.

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to account for the factr that you may be eating your potatoes peeled. :D My usualy potato serving is 140-150 grams raw weight (I don't peel or fry mine)
  • Lark13
    Lark13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try using “fingerling potato” - you are likely to find that label more accurately reflects your potatoes of choice.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

Oh is it really? I'd call it medium, it's about the size of an egg (which of course can also be different sizes). Maybe it's different here in Sweden than other countries. Anyways, thanks for the answer. I feel a bit calmer haha

I live in Ireland and am from the UK, we do have smaller potatoes but they would be "New" or "Baby" potatoes (around 20-60g), when I say potato, I am normally talking about the kinds used for chips, roasting or baking which are the larger kinds.

New Potatoes
    vjjspaugf9eu.png

Normal Potatoes
    u9vz7x6bnv7a.png
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I can't even read this stuff above. My head would explode. Get a scale for crying our loud. They cost $15.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    weigh raw and use an entry for raw weight calories

Now cook however and it doesn't matter how the water weight changes.

If only eating a portion of the finished dish - weigh when finished for total weight (which has no bearing on the entry used) and then weigh your portion.
    Now you have % eaten.

Apply that to the # of servings you are using for the raw weight entry.
  • sarajohanssoon
    Options
    I can't even read this stuff above. My head would explode. Get a scale for crying our loud. They cost $15.

I do have a scale? I was just thinking it might not be accurate
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Maybe it's different here in Sweden than other countries.

very likely - it will depend on what potato varieties are normally grown and sold there. Here in the UK we get new potatoes much smaller than that one, several served on the plate. We also get massive ones sold as Baking Potatoes which are cooked for quite a long time and served in their skin. Some of the ones I've had were so big they could easily be cut in two and serve both me and the husband.

Yeah -- when people talk about "medium potato," I tend to assume they mean something like a Yukon Gold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukon_Gold_potato

Those are common here and I'd normally chop up (with skin on), roast, and then eat, but I'd eat just one potato.

The one pictured is a smaller variety, which are common here too (there are so many different kinds of potatoes of various sizes), but I don't think they are what is meant since more than one are typically eaten, at least here.

Estimates for "medium" for a food that comes in so many different sizes are useless.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

[quote="This! Veeeery small, adorable potato. :D

[/quote]

Also in Europe and for me that would seem roughly "medium" too. I don't take a baking potato as the standard potato size.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Do you all not have larger non baking potatoes too?

I think medium refers to a non baking potato, but something like the Yukon Gold I mentioned above.