Nighttime Snacking!

Options
I eat healthy most of the day and am usually on point (calories) until the kiddos go to bed. Regardless of the dinner I've eaten, I then get snack happy and blow it for the rest of the night. How do I avoid the nighttime binge?

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    There are several different ways to try to reign this in. I would suggest these:

1) Stop eating so "healthy" during the day. Eat more things you enjoy so you can include them in your plan instead of unchecked snacking at night.

2) Replace the higher calorie snacks with vegetables.

3) Set an eating curfew. If you are not ready to be the person that can eat 10 chips and leave it be you might need to absolutely avoid starting at all.

If you are new to this weight loss effort be kind to yourself. Many people (myself included) go through behavioral changes but it is REALLY hard to just decide to do them overnight. Mine came in small increments over time. If you cannot realistically stick to your present calorie goal you should change it and eat more for awhile until you feel more in control.

^^^This is spot on...
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I prelog my food a few days in advance and I almost always make sure I have something to go with my tea after the kids go to bed as long as it fits my calories. Sometimes it's greek yogurt with mango and honey, sometimes it's a serving of fudge stripe cookies. I make sure to weigh it.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    My nighttime snack happy time is usually combined with sitting down and watching a show so what's helped me is to do a chore at night once the kids are in bed to keep me busy for a bit. Last night it was to clean/scrub the shower and bath tub. Folding laundry which listening to music also keeps my hands busy and mind off of snacking. Or if you need to sit down and relax, try and read. And like others have said, be kind to yourself and give yourself a set amount of calories for nighttime snack and have items on hand that will be within that calorie range (I had to stop buying golden oreos cause I couldn't stop at just 2 or 3).
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    A hot cup of tea normally works for me.
  • jwisdom80
    jwisdom80 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A cup of coffee or tea with some honey or Agave works for me to stop my craving for something sweet.

Also, buy some healthy snacks already portioned or portion them yourself in advance. E.g. popcorn, flavored almonds, kale chips, etc. and eat slow, one at a time.

I agree with building it into your calorie plan to begin with so it's not unaccounted for.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy most of the day and am usually on point (calories) until the kiddos go to bed. Regardless of the dinner I've eaten, I then get snack happy and blow it for the rest of the night. How do I avoid the nighttime binge?

Often when I see statements like this it turns out the poster was under-eating during the day, and that's why they over-eat at night. How much weight do you want to lose and what is your weekly weight loss goal set to?

Also, what is your protein % set to and are you hitting it?

How many grams of fiber are you eating per day?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Four things that helped me with evening cravings (YMMV):

* Getting a solid breakfast with protein, and adequate protein throughout the day.
    * Eating more fruit though the day, to reduce cravings for less nutrient-dense sweets (like candy, baked goods)
    * Not setting an unrealistically low calorie goal in the first place.
    * Replacing a snacking habit with another habit (replacing is easier than eliminating). Particularly useful in this context is a new or revived hobby that either requires clean hands (sketching, needlework, playing a musical instrument, etc.) or creates dirty ones (painting, carpentry, collage, etc.).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I plan my evening snacks just as I plan the rest of my meals for the day. Knowing I will have snacks makes me not crave other foods.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I plan my evening snacks- first I prelog- dinner - then evening snack then I figure out breakfast and / orlunch- with calories left- Its just about which foods that you want to eat the most which for me- are dinner and evening snack-
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue and found two triggers that I’ve eliminated:

1) alcohol! It invariably leaves to munching on something, and it’s always in the chips/ salami/ cheesy poufs family.

2) Food Network! I can have a full meal, then I see something delicious being prepared and I swear I want to eat again. I cannot watch food shows after dinner!

I do agree with others suggestions to make sure you have enough calories during the day, plan your evening snack and have something to do with your hands. The above may help too!
  • StephanieBam
    StephanieBam Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Often when I see statements like this it turns out the poster was under-eating during the day, and that's why they over-eat at night. How much weight do you want to lose and what is your weekly weight loss goal set to?

Also, what is your protein % set to and are you hitting it?

How many grams of fiber are you eating per day?

Thanks Kshama. I'd like to lose about 40 lbs (I'm starting off at 186 lbs at 5'5").

I'm aiming for 1400 calories per day. I have no idea on protein or fiber levels. Breakfasts are usually slimfast, oatmeal, or eggs. Lunches are usually vegetarian (mixed pre-made salad bar options or leftovers from dinner) and often include beans. I try to have fruit for afternoon snacks... Sometimes I'm more successful than others. Dinner usually has meat, vegetable, and carb. Its always homemade but usually on the heavier side (my husband makes dinner every night, so he chooses the menu).
  • Neightyre29
    Neightyre29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This is why I love CICO (calories in, calories out - just tracking numbers). Today I had a hot chocolate. A few days ago I had creme eggs. If the craving persists for a few hours then I know it's genuine and will have a small sweet snack. I feel better immediately and they don't lead to binges as they did previously. Reducing carbs, sugar intake, upping nutrition, daily exercise and better sleep and lastly HYDRATION, have all led to having zero cravings. I've had cravings all my life so this is very strange for me. Even still, I am weakest around my period but it's nothing like it was before. I hope you find your answer. I agree in incorporating snacks earlier. Plan ahead what you will eat and include that chocolate at lunch!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I never eat anything solid after dinner. WAter, coffee, occasionally a small glass of juice. But never any solid food. Not a cough drop. If I get hungry, I go to bed and have a nice breakfast in the morning.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I cant go to bed hungry, either real or imagined.

If Im craving something I have about 25g of cheese or a hot chocolate depending on whether Ive got a fatty or sweet craving.

I also eat a big meal in the evenings so that Im full up and I also like to pretend that once Ive finalised my food diary for the day, I cant add anything else to it, so that means I cant eat anything as everything I eat has to be logged. (I know thats not true)
  • StephanieBam
    StephanieBam Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ok. Took a few months off but I'm going to try again. Wish me luck!!! Healthier living, here I come! ;-)