Quick snack ideas for on the go

Options
mlgilleo99
mlgilleo99 Posts: 2 Member
We live a “high octane” life often on the go for sports or family events. This isn’t always conducive to the healthy life style; the urge to grab fast food “just this once” is overwhelming!
What are some quick snack ideas that someone who ALMOST has orthorexia (note I say almost, because when I’m overwhelmed I shut down and eat anything... ironically) can feel good about eating?

Replies

• ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How about rice cakes and peanut butter? I often have this for a snack between meals.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Snack packs of dried fruit,seeds or nuts
    Nut butter squuze packs
    Boiled eggs
    Cereal bars, I love the Aldi 68 calorie chocolate benefit bar

I always have these available in my car and laptop bag for anytime I feel peckish. No temptation to grab a sausage roll or something then
  • stefaniec09
    stefaniec09 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm currently addicted to the Blue Diamond Wasabi & Soy Sauce Almonds. My 2nd addiction is the Salt & Vinegar ones. I carry some snack bags with 1oz of them in my purse. I also have some of the Blueberry RxBars (the ones Ice T advertises that say NO B.S. on the bottom of them) They are a good snack too and can be thrown in my purse..actually I may have one in there now....hum
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If you have time, it pays off to prep a lunch or picnic dinner and snacks to take with you ahead of time. Sandwiches, baked cold chicken (make ahead, freeze, and pull out of the freezer a day or two ahead), fruit, nuts, hard-boiled eggs, protein bars, hummus or peanut butter and carrot or celery sticks, even a salad made ahead with the dressing carried separately. Also foil packets of tuna or chicken. I sometimes just take a piece or two of bread and spread with a Bumblebee Snack on the Run (can of chicken or tuna salad in different flavors) if refrigeration is an issue and I don’t want to lug a cooler bag.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    String cheese and handheld fruit (apples, nectarines, oranges, etc.)
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I make my own beef jerky in a smoker. It is a great on the go snack.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I like string cheese wrapped in a thin slice of prosciutto. Either that or a cheddar stick with a schmear of horseradish wrapped in thin slices roast beef.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Brazil nuts. Great for on the go. Also filberts (hazelnuts) Any kind of fruit. Love kiwis.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Nuts, almonds.
    Wasa crackers with laughing cow cheese and a few slices of deli turkey. Sometimes I add cucumber or peppers.
    Popcorn
    I like some of the RX bars.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Today I brought snacks with me:
    hard-boiled egg
    10g walnuts
    2 apricots

Other snacks I usually have with me:
    various protein bars - usually whatever's on offer
    string cheese, though they can get a bit sad/slimy if it's too hot out. Or babybel light.
    apples
    other nuts or the graze snack mixes (UK)
    almond butter and banana sammie on sunflower rye bread
    overnight oats with protein powder (don't forget a spoon!)

If I'm out and I'm really stuck I'll usually get a latte or something as it has enough milk to fill me up until I get home.

I almost always have snacks because I get HANGRY really easily.
  • ekboh
    ekboh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I keep some healthier snacks in the car, stuff that wouldn't need a cooler. Helps prevent that gas station or drive-through stop. Right now I have beef jerky, individual bags of smart pop popcorn, freeze dried fruit, and sugar free gum. Having individual size bags is really helpful for me too... otherwise I can't stop!!
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt drinks
    Dates
    Bananas
    Prickly pears
    My frequent snacks
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    skinnyPOP popcorn, measured and weighed in a baggie to-go
    green grapes, measured and weighed in a baggie to-go
    individually wrapped rectangles of cheese
    a bag of almonds
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Celery with peanut butter and raisins a/k/a ants on a log.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    When my daughter was younger and we were on the go, I would pre make up an organic version of lunchables. In little air tight containers, put squared deli cheese, squared deli turkey slices, and some 365 organic round crackers, with a little portable mayo or mustard.

For snacky snacks, plantain chips, quinoa chips, Trader Joe's has lots of healthier snacks, premade wraps and salads. If a Trader Joe's is accessible...

If we have to opt for eating out, we hit fast foods that offer healthier choices, specifically, organic or non gmo salad options like Chipotle bowls and salads, Panera salads and soups, Whole Foods hot bar and salad bar, etc.
  • spence13e
    spence13e Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My common in between foods, whether at home or on the road, typically include
    Fruit: apples and bananas, oranges, when I'm at home and have them, grapes
    Jack Links sells beef jerky singles that are 50 calories, just enough protein to knock that edge off, a box of six isn't too much of a hit on the wallet
    I also will take protein shakes with me periodically. 160 cal, 30 g protein. They're not the tastiest, but they're filling until I get home from work
    Outside of fruit, I'm avoiding much in the way of carbs, typically. Anything low calorie with peanut butter is good, or other nuts. I have to avoid much PB or nuts at home, at least for now, because I have a hard time stopping. It wouldn't be so bad to take them along with me in pre measured quantities.
  • Naturally_Monica
    Naturally_Monica Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit. Apple slices with peanut butter. Even celery and peanut butter. I love fresh fruit like watermelon, raspberries and strawberries. (I just noticed I’ve mentioned a lot of fruit). You could try string cheese. I actually really like those “balanced breaks” by Sargento. They come with nuts, cheese, and a dried fruit all under 200 calories and I find it’s a nice snack. I love pretzels. Carrots and hummus.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Protein bars or shakes.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Apple with peanut butter. Apple with babybel cheese. Veggies and hummus or guac (Costco sells little tubs of hummus or guacamole already portioned). Bag of pre-popped popcorn. Slices of ham/turkey rolled up with cheese slices and mustard. Tortilla chips and salsa. Cucumber slices and yogurt dip.

Biggest help for me is to prep/cut up the veggies at the beginning of the weeks so that they are just as easy to grab as a bag of chips - less tempting to grab a less healthy option then.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Could be these cheese and cracker packs I like, sometimes it's a snack/muesli bar, other times it might be a handful of skittles or M&M's or even a flavoured milk sometimes.

So yeah. Pretty much anything I feel like eating at the time that I can fit in my calorie goal.