Lunch!

Options
Hi all,

I’m just starting out and I’m struggling with lunches. I work a 9-5 desk job so I’ve started to take my lunch with me but I’ve got fed up my normal things; jacket potatoe and chilli/ soup (but soup doesn’t fill me up all afternoon), salad (again, doesn’t really fill me up)

Any suggestions welcome.

Replies

• mikesphoto
    mikesphoto Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've got the same. 9-5 desk. My lunch today was two hard-boiled eggs, a piece of cheese, and some crackers. Also water and a 5.5 oz can of low sodium V8. I've got some carrot sticks for a afternoon snack a couple hours later. This gives some protein for good energy and leaves a lot of room for dinner without leaving me drained. Some days I'll have a pb&j, carrots, and a V8. I have to plan for those though, the bread kills me. These are my most common work lunches but sometimes I'll bring left-overs from dinner the night before, then plan an appropriate dinner to follow.
  • shrinking_amazonian
    shrinking_amazonian Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have a similar schedule and I like to try and bring leftovers from dinner the night before. Make a little extra or use recipes with more servings and then it's a bit easier to have some variety in your lunches day to day. I find this also helps make sure I don't waste food because I have a plan for my dinner leftovers. For me it makes meal plan/shopping/cooking easier too because each meal isn't it's own time consuming, unique thing.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job with similar hours. I keep a few canned items at my desk; soup, beef stew, tuna. Mostly, I plan my week's lunches on Sunday (shopping day). This week for Mon & Tues, I brought a turkey and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread, bell pepper slices (my crunch instead of chips), and watermelon. Today I brought left over roasted chicken breast, bell pepper slices, and apple slices. Tomorrow will be another sandwich, peppers, and watermelon day. Friday's are half days for me so I eat lunch at home that day.
    For the filling you up part maybe you need some more protein/fat in your choices. If you are not a vegetarian maybe add some chicken to your salad, and some beef/turkey to your chili. I also keep some mixed nuts at my desk for a small snack, I say small because they are high in calories....
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Samantharavenclaw84 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite lunches when I work are (and most are easily googable or search pinterest)

Honey sriracha meatballs with either brown rice or cauli rice
    Taco salads/taco bowls
    tuna salad with celery and crackers to dip
    Bagel with cream cheese
    I like homemade snack plates too- crackers, cheese, pickles, olives and then either deli meat such as turkey or sliced salami.
    Salad kit with added chicken

and then most days I also bring carrots, a fruit, and yogurt.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I work 8 to 4:30. Lunch is usually a chicken thigh and 200 grams of either broccoli or green beans.

Broccoli fills me up quite a lot, as does chicken. So do apples, which is why I usually have slices around to munch on.

If I'm out of that stuff, chicken sandwiches with mustard, cucumbers and spinach. The buns I get are only 100 calories. I'm all about those carbs though, I can't feel full without them. That obviously won't be helpful if you're low carb.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Try making your soups and salads more substantial.
    I make my soups with pearl barley or lentils, need something more substantial. Try having it with oatcakes.

Salad - add quinoa, bulghar wheat, some seeds, falafel, chicken, salmon etc.

I often have a snack late afternoon. That way I'm good to go to the gym after work and am not to ravenous when I get to eat.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Same hours and I bring my lunch every day.. there are tons of ideas besides salad and potato.

sandwiches of all kinds (deli meat, BLT, chicken salad, pb&j, egg salad)
    wraps
    chicken fajitas (with or without the shell)
    meatballs with a side of roasted veggies (again, a million different types of meatballs you can make!)
    jazzed up salads - buffalo chicken, taco, steak, cobb
    lettuce wraps
    sausage and veggie bakes
    any kind of baked/grilled/roasted chicken and veggies
    stuffed peppers

Below is the link to my Pinterest page with tons of meal prepping-friendly lunch ideas.

https://www.pinterest.com/jennsc1122/lunch-ideas/
  • MWAgent
    MWAgent Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I typically do a lettuce wrapped turkey sandwich with cheese/mustard. For better or worse, I typically have a P3 protein pack as well.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've been trying the Daily Dozen app, which encourages you to count servings of fruits, veggies, and other high fiber / nutrition-packed items. I have been eating a lot of salads, and I think the key to making them filling is to include protein and a whole grain.

My salad today was a few cups of baby greens, a half cup of cooked wheat berries, 4 oz. turmeric baked tofu, a quarter cup of hummus, and some roasted broccoli and cauliflower. It was really tasty, very filling, and all plant-based!