Looking for nerdish friends - Aussie expat now living in the US

Options
Hi. Looking for people to add to my FL, but please read on for details.

I've been on MFP since Jan 2014. My wife's been on for longer. She and I are friends on here. I'm an Australian expat now living in the US. I don't really need "support" or accountability on here. Basically I'm just looking to expand my list with people who share the same interests, are on just for a chinwag, and nerd out to various things. I have my own fitness regime that I work on weekly (I'm a second-dan karate black belt and regularly take or run classes). I post my exercise when it happens and my weight gets autoposted from my connected scale. I "like" my FL's weight loss and exercise posts, but pretty much any other things I write (I'm an ultra-nerd) seem to go over most of my FL's heads. I'm almost 50 but I don't think this desycn with my current FL is a generation gap - it's a technology gap.

I'd like a few more friends that I can "sync" with, shoot the breeze, that are techheads - Garmin, computers, wrist HRMs, mechanical keyboards, med nerd stuff, music stuff, maybe a recipe or two, what's happening in your life both inside and outside of fitness and exercise, but no neuroses, no slagging off their partner behind their back, no "all men are *kitten*" *kitten*, no groundhog day posts. If it sounds more like FB than MFP, maybe it is, but I honestly am locked in with my own fitness stuff and show up here just to say hi and write the occasional geek post and have a laff. I often feel like I'm a voice in the wilderness and nobody gets a thing I'm saying. I'm also not everyone's cup of tea and prone to writing raw opinion at times. If you're looking for a different sort of friend, send a req on over. If you cry easily, skip me. My nickname truly sums me up - I'm pretty Spock-like and black-and-white most of the time.

Cap

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Just saying " hi " Cap 👋
  • CaptainLogic
    CaptainLogic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there! BTW - all men are "kitten kitten"? Wow.
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    Hi there! BTW - all men are "kitten kitten"? Wow.

swear words are changed to kitten around here. :D
  • CaptainLogic
    Options
    I gathered that. Whoever came up with that idea needs firing. b4st4rds is considered a swear word? Sheesh.
  • CaptainLogic
    Options
    Also you gotta explain how you got 214000 posts. I've literally never ever seen that many post from any individual ever on any forum in like the last two decades 😳
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    I gathered that. Whoever came up with that idea needs firing. b4st4rds is considered a swear word? Sheesh.

I think one April Fools they made it *asparagus* :D
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    *Jinglebells*
    I think that would be perfect for Christmas time!
    *Jinglebells* I burned the *jinglebells* cookies
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options

This is because you are an Aussie, and like us Brits know how to swear properly... :p

• Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    So many mundane words have become swear words just because they are solely (or at least for the most part) intended as insults.
    A child born out of wedlock; a female dog; a cigarette
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Also you gotta explain how you got 214000 posts. I've literally never ever seen that many post from any individual ever on any forum in like the last two decades 😳

I hear she's paid a full-time salary by Under Armour to chip in her two cents on every topic on the forum. Good gig.
    #rumor #isItTrue
  • ca1v1n
    ca1v1n Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we have a lot in common. Also almost 50, just got into Karate about 4 years ago as part of a lifestyle change. Testing for brown belt this fall. Big time PC gamer, 90's at-rock fan, and techie. Managed to lose 60lbs over a 2-3 year period but stopped tracking and using the app in the fall and I've gained back 15 lbs (too much beer and potato chips) so getting back into things now I hope.
  • bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options

This is because you are an Aussie, and like us Brits know how to swear properly... :p

I prefer the Irish swearing... That is, "Father Ted" style.... :D
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options

And what would you say to a cup of tea Father?

• bigbandjohn
    bigbandjohn Posts: 769 Member
    Options

And what would you say to a cup of tea Father?

I would give Father Jack's reply, but with my luck someone would report it for worse than it is, and I'd get in trouble.
  • slimgirljo15
    edited July 2019
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »

I hear she's paid a full-time salary by Under Armour to chip in her two cents on every topic on the forum. Good gig.
    #rumor #isItTrue

This guy is right :laugh:

A whole lot of insomnia and lots of yes and no answers in fun and games in the early years 🤣😂
    Ahh the early years when fun and games and chit chat were one.. those were the days 😁
  • CaptainLogic
    Options
    Just checking back on this thread after several months, totally forgot about it. Still looking to expand FL!