Difference between hydrogenated and non-hydrogenated fat?

Options
Are they equally bad?

I'm reading the back of this chocolate bar that I bought for myself and I wanted to know more about "non-hydrogenated vegetable fat". I believe it has something to do with palm oils?

Also the difference between hydrogenated and NON-hydrogenated fats?

Thank you!

Replies

• beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Bummer. I was hoping for pics of fatty acid chains and carbon atoms, done on someone’s keyboard.
  • diogomello12
    diogomello12 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey Lynn, thank you very much for your answer! I'm clarified now.

Have a nice day!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    So after reading this I had to run around the house looking at ingredients in all the chocolate. I have no bars, but I do have three kinds of chocolate chips, Ghirardelli squares, mint M&Ms, chocolate bark, and Hershey's Kisses, and none of them list "vegetable fat" or "palm oil".

Now I'm wondering when chocolate is defatted, what happens to the fat?
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So after reading this I had to run around the house looking at ingredients in all the chocolate. I have no bars, but I do have three kinds of chocolate chips, Ghirardelli squares, mint M&Ms, chocolate bark, and Hershey's Kisses, and none of them list "vegetable fat" or "palm oil".

Cocoa butter lotions and cremes for the skin .... good stuff!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves/Biological_Chemistry/Supplemental_Modules_(Biological_Chemistry)/Lipids/Fatty_Acids/Hydrogenation_of_Unsaturated_Fats_and_Trans_Fat

Trans fats are getting harder to find. They’ve been about eliminated, other than small amounts that occur naturally in foods.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Cocoa butter lotions and cremes for the skin .... good stuff!

And also white chocolate, which only uses the fat from cocoa, not the cocoa solids.