Please help

Ok I’m 411 91 pounds 43 years old I was eating 1180 calories a day and was losing .5 pounds a week I upped that to 1200 calories and was losing .5 pound every couple weeks I’ve upped my calories to 1300 and have gained 2 pounds in a month ? I’m at a loss and I’m set to sedentary can someone shed some light please

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Your weight is never stable, it fluctuates up and down all the time. One scale reading doesn't tell you anything, you need to look at the trend over time.

I can't link on my phone, hopefully someone else will provide one of the links about weight fluctuations.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Take measurements and lots of photos so you can see progress without having to rely 100% of the scale.
    Also, see this about weight fluctuations.
    I hope that this helps: http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • cnjg6677
    cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
    Thank you both so much but my trend is going up over the last 4 months when I just want to maintain but don’t wanna stay at 1200 calories
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,710 Member
    I hate to tell you this but I'm 5'1" and "lightly active" and my maintenance calories are only 1330. I choose to do quite a lot of exercise to increase my calorie allowance but it's not easy.

Also, at 91 lbs you are at the very low end of the "healthy BMI" scale - perhaps you could re-assess your goal?

I'm sorry not to have more encouraging suggestions.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,581 Member
    edited July 2019
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    OP, I am 5'0 and moderately active ... without taking into consideration that you are at the smallest end on the BMI and may have to take a look at that, I'd have to tell you that petite women have much smaller calorie needs than others, and a lot of exercise is needed for me to be able to eat more than 1300-1400. I am able to get to 1500-1800 with 5 workouts a week, including Pilates, weights, and cardio. My BMR is a mere 1200. I would suggest that some of the advice above is good, but also suggest that you look at joining the Petites in Maintenance group on here.

You're 100% correct about everything except, I dare say, about the mere 1200 aspect of your BMR.

As a 5ft 7.5", 155lb, early/mid 50s male my BMR is ~1500. A mere 300 Cal above yours.

Broad worldwide level average female / male Calories per nutrition labels are 2000/2500.

300 Cal * 1.66 (just above MFP active) is equal to the 500 Cal difference between 2k and 2.5K

Not surprisingly, both you and I require an activity factor of about 1.66 to hit the broad average level of 2000/2500.

I maintain at about 2930 and do not exercise (the way most people understand the word) other than occasionally :) (but I do walk whenever I can!)

NEAT improvement strategies are your friend!

And 1200 is not exceptionally low for BMR!
  • Clairin
    Clairin Posts: 95 Member
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    OP, I am 5'0 and moderately active ... without taking into consideration that you are at the smallest end on the BMI and may have to take a look at that, I'd have to tell you that petite women have much smaller calorie needs than others, and a lot of exercise is needed for me to be able to eat more than 1300-1400. I am able to get to 1500-1800 with 5 workouts a week, including Pilates, weights, and cardio. My BMR is a mere 1200. I would suggest that some of the advice above is good, but also suggest that you look at joining the Petites in Maintenance group on here.

I'm the same or very similar to you. Petite & have to BMR is 1200. Maintenance calories is around 1400 for me. I will join that petite group seems like the group for me.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,784 Member
    Hi CNJ, may I suggest changing up what you eat? I am petite and on the lower end of BMI at well. Also old. dammit. I set MFP to 1K base but I do eat at a steady TDEE state of around 1850 to maintain vs the #s MFP and Fitbit calculate which are about 200-300 cals too high. I am very active tho - running a few miles per day and avg just over 20K steps per day as well. I am not suggesting that it makes a difference as far as types of foods to CICO but if you are eating the same chips and nutri bars and such every day it could be that the cal estimate on those is off. Maybe just for a few weeks eat at 1200 and instead of those packaged items do veggies and fruits and other "natural" type foods? Just an idea....And more variety in your intake might also be more fun too?