Breastfeeding moms; how did you lose weight?

Options
spts2016
spts2016 Posts: 11 Member
edited July 2019 in Motivation and Support
Breastfeeding means you cannot compromise babies ' nutrition with excessive diet or exercise. How did you manage to lose weight? When did you go back to your original weight? How much time to get there?I'm exhausted at the end of the day and just do not have time for myself.

Replies

• spts2016
    Options
    I gained 18kg and only lost 3kg after 5 months. :( and 6kg more in next 3. Still struggling with that 9kg of excess weight. Dresses are two sizes up and foot one size up. So depressing.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Try not to get discouraged, it sounds like the weight is coming off, even though it is slow, better than not at all! Focus on getting adequate nutrition, fluids and rest (if you can!). Walking and exercise with/next to baby too.
  • spts2016
    Options
    Try not to get discouraged, it sounds like the weight is coming off, even though it is slow, better than not at all! Focus on getting adequate nutrition, fluids and rest (if you can!). Walking and exercise with/next to baby too.

Yes there's some progress but I cannot be jealous enough of moms who lose weight in few weeks.๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜ˆ I have to try my best to reduce some weight ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • cjingles
    cjingles Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting โค๏ธ congrats on what youโ€™ve lost so far!

Im overweight and was so glad to not gain much during pregnancy. But when breastfeeding I became so hungry and I got used to eating more. My son is 1 and starting to nurse less, but Iโ€™ve still been eating lots and I now weigh more than I did 9 months pregnant. I felt so lost and discouraged until I read this post, so thank you. I donโ€™t feel alone now. Time to focus on eating well, being honest about calories and (whether Iโ€™m actually hungry or not), and taking it one day at a time. Good luck to you! Youโ€™ve got this ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
  • spts2016
    Options

Yes there's some progress but I cannot be jealous enough of moms who lose weight in few weeks.๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜ˆ I have to try my best to reduce some weight ๐Ÿ˜Š

Comparison is the thief of joy.

Haha!๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ so true. Should arrest & imprison the thief.
  • spts2016
    Options
    Thank you for posting โค๏ธ congrats on what youโ€™ve lost so far!

Im overweight and was so glad to not gain much during pregnancy. But when breastfeeding I became so hungry and I got used to eating more. My son is 1 and starting to nurse less, but Iโ€™ve still been eating lots and I now weigh more than I did 9 months pregnant. I felt so lost and discouraged until I read this post, so thank you. I donโ€™t feel alone now. Time to focus on eating well, being honest about calories and (whether Iโ€™m actually hungry or not), and taking it one day at a time. Good luck to you! Youโ€™ve got this ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

I also regained some weight during first few months, thats why only 3kg lost in 6 months. I was overeating during breastfeeding. I couldn't help it because I was sooo hungry. Now I try to control it by about 6 mini meals per day. It has some progress but slow results. Please post if something you try is actually working. Even slow results are better than none. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Iโ€™m a birthworker, and mom of 9 (I breastfed them all and still breastfeeding my 2 year old).

If your breastfed baby is a year or more, your body will still produce the milk for baby first.

If you are below 1800 calories (the amount required to establish and sustain a supply), your body will take from you first before it takes from baby/lower your supply.

I have been around 1250-1400 calories for the past couple months and have not seen any decrease in my milk supply at all. My baby girl (2yo) eats solid food as well. However, sheโ€™s on the nipple, as if she doesnโ€™t eat 3 meals a day and snacks. I have lost 11 pounds since starting my caloric deficit plan. I burn about 500 calories daily with exercising. No decrease in my milk supply.

Kellymom has some helpful information as well.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    • How did you manage to lose weight? Stopped breastfeeding and calorie counting. I was so hungry while breastfeeding that I actually regained a few of the pounds that were lost during and the first few weeks after birth. Within a week of stopping (at 5 months), my hunger returned to normal and I was finally able to stay within a calorie goal. Unfortunately I got off track for a while for other reasons but have been back at it for a little less than one year. I'm not suggesting you stop breastfeeding, just telling you my experience.
    • When did you go back to your original weight? Still up 20lbs and kid turns 2 next week
    • How much time to get there? Apparently more than 2 years for me
  • jperdomo79
    jperdomo79 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by slightly restricting my calories (1800) and light exercise (walking daily) . It didnt affect my milk supply at all. I focused on eating whole foods only and nothing processed. Losycthe weight in about 6-7 months. I breastfed my 3rd son for 20 months and my 4th son for 18 months. Give it time it will come off.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My babies are now 14, 12 and 10. I have to say the only time in my life I was "lucky" wrt weight was when I was breastfeeding.
    198lbs got pregnant - up to 250, breastfed, didn't count calories and went down to 165 (my lowest since teens).
    165 got pregnant - up to 200, breastfed, didn't count calories and went down to 150 (OMG breastfeeding was amazing!)
    150 got pregnant - up to 180, breastfed, didn't count calories........ went down to 165, and steadily over the years up to 216......what the heck?

Good luck everybody and enjoy those times with your baby (I truly miss them).

• emalademfp
    emalademfp Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do you have any local baby friendly exercise classes? Not as helpful as diet to actually lose but can help feel less alone and more motivated?
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Oh and I should add, now 166 :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I only lost weight once I started counting my calories. I'm not one of those people who just lost all their baby weight right away from breastfeeding. I set my goal on MFP to "maintain current weight" and just ate that. Breastfeeding burns a lot of calories, so that allowed me to lose weight. I was about 30 lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight after giving birth and I didn't lose all of my weight until 18 months pp but.. I didn't try very hard. I would go on spurts of losing weight, and then maintain that for a while, then lose weight, then maintain for a while etc.
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I was so hungry with breast feeding twins (craved chocolate milkshakes in the morning!) so did not try to lose weight while breastfeeding (way too tired to even think about exercising!). I managed to lose about 22 pounds during the first two years (pregnancy weight was 167 while starting weight was 125) without any exercise/calorie restriction. One weaned around 1 year, but the other wanted to nurse (more for comfort) first thing in the morning & sometimes at bedtime. I needed to go on high blood pressure medicine around 2 years after they were born (I had pre-eclampsia with pregnancy so needed to get this under control) so weaned the other. After weaning I started to exercise more (elliptical + free weights at home) and got back to just below pre-pregnancy weight of 123 within a year (so 3 years post-birth); I did not count calories, but might have tried to reduce carbs. I kept weight off for three years, but then changes with position at work resulted in more stress/time demands at work and home and I did not make time for exercise so gradually gained weight back until I was above pregnancy weight :-( 177). Started serious exercise regime this February (joined a gym and workout 5-7 days a week with cardio and weight training) and worked with a nutritionist to work out "diet" that I'll be able to maintain after reaching goal. Working on getting back to pre-pregnancy weight (13 pounds away!) and to ultimate goal of 110.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose since 2 weeks post partum. Pre pregnancy was 68kg got to 95kg at end of pregnancy. My baby is 3months I'm down to 74kg. I rode my oversupply for first 8 weeks and pumped a extra litre per day. The pumping was tiresome and restricted my ability to go out (imagine full leaky boobs after a few hours). I let my supply settle to just pumping an extra 200-300ml in the morning. The other week I tried setting mfp to a 500cal deficit and my milk supply dropped after a few days of it so I had a panic binge lol. I'm trying 250cal deficit at the moment.
    All in all I think everyone is different so find your happy number which keeps you and your baby happy.
  • spts2016
    Options
    Iโ€™m a birthworker, and mom of 9 (I breastfed them all and still breastfeeding my 2 year old).

If your breastfed baby is a year or more, your body will still produce the milk for baby first.

If you are below 1800 calories (the amount required to establish and sustain a supply), your body will take from you first before it takes from baby/lower your supply.

I have been around 1250-1400 calories for the past couple months and have not seen any decrease in my milk supply at all. My baby girl (2yo) eats solid food as well. However, sheโ€™s on the nipple, as if she doesnโ€™t eat 3 meals a day and snacks. I have lost 11 pounds since starting my caloric deficit plan. I burn about 500 calories daily with exercising. No decrease in my milk supply.

Kellymom has some helpful information as well.

This is helpful specifically as I am worried about reduced milk levels. Thank you ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I took my prepregnancy weight's maintenance calories added 500 calories for breastfeeding...then lowered to 300 extra per day after the 6 month mark. I started light exercise around the 8 week mark and gradually increased.

I lost the baby weight (37lbs) plus another 7lbs by the time I weaned my first at 13 months. He was a chunk. With my 2nd, I did the same and lost the babyweight (35lbs) by 8 months. I weaned the 2nd at 14 months...but increased calories by 400 instead of 300...b/c I didn't need to lose that extra weight.