water: tap vs filtered

Options
REB89
REB89 Posts: 493 Member
As far as i know, you shouldn't drink too much filtered water because it's very high in sodium so I tend to stick to tap water (plus i can't taste the difference!). Just wondering what other people thought?

Replies

• REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    As far as i know, you shouldn't drink too much filtered water because it's very high in sodium so I tend to stick to tap water (plus i can't taste the difference!). Just wondering what other people thought?
  • lcn42781
    lcn42781 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't think that filtered water is necessarily higher in sodium, but softened water is. That's what makes the water soft, the sodium replaces the minerals that WERE in the water before softening. Personally, I tend to lean towards bottled water or water run through reverse osmosis (getting a system in my house soon).
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I'm on well water and we use either salt or potassium chloride and with the salt there's a minimal increase in the amount of sodium in the water. We can really tell the difference between our well water and tap water in the city believe me!

Filters do not add sodium to your water they're very good at removing many chemicals including sodium. the problem with tap water is the city source and processing plant's safety features in keeping the water stable all the time.

If you're ever concerned about the water from your tap get a test kit and periodically check it for problems yourself rather than paying someone to do it for you.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The environmentalist (plastic bottles are evil) and the purist (tap water is chemical-ey) inside of me had a fight.

I compromised and rented a water cooler (just like in an office) and I LOVE it. I get filtered water delivered to my house, they reuse the bottles, and I have a bottle I refill. I drink WAY more water than I used to.

I hate tap water taste, and I do not work for a water cooler company.:tongue:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I live in Arizona and our tap water is the worst so unless you like to drink the swimming pool and the dirt from teh filter you need to filter it in someway. I buy the big jugs of water and use a reusable alluminum water bottle for my kids and me because in the long run, the alluminum water bottle can be recycled just like a soda can.

Haven't thought of a water softner because of a household flood we had with the filtered refrigerator but maybe in the future.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I love my well water, mostly room temp, straight from the tap, no ice and no flavorings. I drink one 16 oz glass with each main meal and two or 3 (or more) during exercise. I drink one cup of coffee in the morning: no sodas, no alcohol and no juice. I went on a road trip with hubby in November and bought bottled water from the store. It seemed as though the water tasted like nothing, it was unflavored, but it seemed as though I wasn't drinking anything and I drank them nostop for three days, coming home feeling dehydrated. After reading some of the posts here, I'll check to see what the water really was, filtered, or whatever.

By the way, I've had that RO water and I LOVE IT....
  • tjblack
    tjblack Posts: 122
    Options
    I just read an article in Reader's Digest Feb 08 issue. "How Safe is Your Bottled Water?" It's too long t type everything it said, but some of the major points were

1. 25% of bottled water comes from a public source. Bottlers are not required to list where the water comes from.
    2. Bottlers do not have to let the comsumer know if their water is contaminated. Fact, between 1990 and 2007 there was 100 different recalls on bottled water with contamination with mold, benzene, coliform, mirobes, even crickets.
    3. Plastic bottles. There is the issue about recycling. (we all do our best), but also the plastic that the bottles are made of can release leach chemicals into the water if the bottles become warm or hot.
    4. Water coolers. (which I have one) Make sure you clean often with mild bleach solution and then rinse. the cooler can contain all sorts of things. YUCK!
    5. If using well water, make sure you test it and then put it in a reusable stainless stel r lined drinking container. Never reuse plastic bottles for drinking.

Now let me say this. This is not my opinion. I only copied some of the facts from the article. I have a water softner in my home with well water. I have a water cooler that I clean every 2 to 3 fill ups (and it's time to do it again). Home Depot has a water bottle now that you put on top of your water cooler, you pour your tap water into it and it passes through 2 filters. (looking forward to getting it. the cost of water is killing me. We use 5 gals of water about every 2 days. 4 in the family plus my daycare kids). And that is not including the cases of bottled water that we buy. Hopefully that filter will take care of all of that.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Filtered water is not high in sodium - most filters, depending on the type, either remove the sodium or don't have any impact on it. Water softeners do add sodium to the water. I used to work in the water testing industry. If you have a good source of public water you can generally use it. If you call your public water utility company you can get a copy of the report they have to file annually with the federal government that will tell you everything you want to know about their water - and probably some things you didn't want to know!! Its called a Consumer Confidence Report. They are required by law to file it in June and are required by law to provide a copy to customers. They usually will just put a blurb on your bill that it is available - but no one usually sees it.

If you have well water, please get it tested for coliform bacteria (includes E. coli) and for nitrates at least.

If you drink R/O water - it takes EVERYTHING out of the water so make sure you take a supplement to
    replace the calcium and potassium and other minerals that you would normally ingest with the water. R/0 water will actually leach minerals out of your body if you don't maintain a balance of the minerals.
    Probably too much info - sorry! But there it is. :happy:
  • Erica92627
    Options
    you can buy your own water cooler, for 60-80 dollars. and then buy your choice of water. Or go to those water filter places and fill the 5 gallons for 1.00 -1.25.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Yummy, well water. I grew up in a small town and we drank well water. It tastes soooo much better than tap water.
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I use a PUR container you fill and put in the refridgertor. It has a dispenser so you don't have to remove it to use it. You replace the filter 2-3 months and it's about $20 for 2 filters so not too expensive. We get Lake Michigan water and sometimes it can taste a little funky, like chlorine. I also washed out my water bottles everyday and just refill them. Saves in the landfills and in your pocket.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Yeah - tap water can taste like chlorine sometimes because they chlorinate it to kill all the bacteria. A filter pitcher will remove the chlorine - PUR or Britta. Then you have the benefit of the bacteria being dead but not having to taste chlorine!! You can also fill a pitcher of water and leave the lid loose and put it in the fridge overnight and the chlorine will gas off then it won't bother you. :smile: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Happy drinking!!