Droid App for MyFitnessPal

Options
I recently bought a new phone, the Motorola Droid 3. I really like the phone and was going to download the My Fitness Pal app, but before one can download it, there are 5 areas that you have to agree to accept, which are extremely intrusive. I did not have to agree to these terms when I had downloaded this site on my I-Touch, so am not only surprised by this, but disappointed and concerned. Have any other members downloaded this site on their Droid, and what are your thoughts about these conditions?

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Ive used the App for over 180 days without any issues. I love my App!
  • mandygal13
    mandygal13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have an android phone and don't recall having to accept anything....it's been a few months now, but it's been working fine, and hasn't asked me to agre to anything else. ???
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I remember having to agree to some things but I just did it. I've not had any problems--in fact I've lost some weight. :heart:
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I use an HTC Thunderbolt which is Android based. I don't remember having to agree to anything but I may have. I use the app every day and love it.
  • foxxxiblonde
    Options
    Mine works great!
  • SetecAstronomy
    SetecAstronomy Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a new phone, the Motorola Droid 3. I really like the phone and was going to download the My Fitness Pal app, but before one can download it, there are 5 areas that you have to agree to accept, which are extremely intrusive. I did not have to agree to these terms when I had downloaded this site on my I-Touch, so am not only surprised by this, but disappointed and concerned. Have any other members downloaded this site on their Droid, and what are your thoughts about these conditions?
    The permissions it asks for are:

*Take pictures and videos. So far I have seen this used in conjunction with the barcode scanner, and there are no problems.

*Full internet access. This is used to synchronize your data on your Android device with the main site and vice-versa.

*Read sensitive log data. Not sure how/what this is used for.

*Read phone state and identity. Not sure WHY this is used, but I'm guessing to see if the phone is active so that it can connect to the internet.

*Change wi-fi state, Prevent Device from Sleeping, and Change Network Connectivity. I'm guessing this is for when you switch to a Wi-Fi connection, the app will still work.

All in all, I've not found the app to be intrusive, but ultimately the decision to install is yours. You are of course always entitled to uninstall it if you don't want it.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I use the app on my original Motorola Droid religiously (thinking about getting the Droid Bionic when it arrives, but we'll see). When I installed it, I agreed to all it asked. I reason that part of being connected and functional is to let certain applications control aspects of the operating system. Each application I have on my phone, I definitely want and use, so to me it's just part of the user experience. I am definitely concerned about viruses and malware in applications though, so I use the free Lookout security application to scan everything, and I am very judicious about the apps I do have on the phone. The MFP app is one of the few I absolutely need, and I absolutely love it, and Lookout has scanned it and judged it clean. Good luck and good health to ya no matter what you decide!
  • EvaJanes
    EvaJanes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Any way you could post the TOS here so we can see what you find invasive? and is it MFP TOS or android tos?
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Those TOS are pretty standard, the bottom line is that if you want to use apps it's something you have to put up with.

Yes they have access to some person information, but no more than other apps and nothing financial. Frankly, while I value my privacy, I don't consider myself interesting enough to be worried.
  • ChickadeeHawk
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it very much.