The scales

Options
:mad: I worked really hard this month and managed to lose 6 pounds but now i seem to have gained that back and then some:frown: . I've been eating really clean except for a couple of days.......when i jumped on the scales and saw i'd gained 10 pounds i was livid :explode: , i thought whats the point so i went tesco and filled up my basket with all kinds of junk and i had a real good time:embarassed: .
I enjoy eating healthy i feel so much better and have more energy, it jus gets me down to see i've put on weight.
Anyways my face looks slimmer and my thighs abit but it's hard to tell cause i got thunder thighs!

So my question to u all is how often do u weigh yourself and is there any1 who keeps away from the scales alltogether?

Replies

• SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    Oooo sorry to hear of your gain but hopefully they will go as quick as they were put on ! everyone faces a brick wall from time to time me included !

I have only started but I started on Monday and I weighed myself yesterday through anxiousness but then again today and logged my weight but I would usually weight myself on the Sunday....

xxx
  • CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It could be the scales... I am not making an excuse but this happened to me. I bought a digital scale that tells water weight, bone mass, body fat percentage, etc. Used it for 6 months then it started giving me crazy inconsistent readings. I would get on it and it would say 147. Step off. Reset it back to zero. Get on it again and it would say 139. That BIG difference made me mad. So I went back to my old regular scale. It is consistent and doesn't lie to me. Just something to think about if you use a digi scale.

If it's not the scale, it could be water weight from sodium, etc. Just try to get more water in. That seems to be the best pick me up on my weight loss.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Your suppose to weigh yourself once a week.
  • CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Also, I tried the whole "stay off the scale" thing... And for me, I just can't do it. Seeing the numbers go down is motivation to keep working out. Seeing the numbers go up is also motivation to get back in the game, double time. However, there is a girl on here who went from like 180 lbs to 110 and never stepped on a scale. She went by how she felt she looked, etc. And one day, when she felt really good jumped on the scale to see a 109.4! I thought that was amazing! But, it doesn't work for everyone.

Just don't weigh yourself daily. I recommend once a week or so.
  • rainbowcandy2004
    Options
    Are you exercising? Muscle weights more than fat so if you lost fat and gain some muscle you might be going in the opposite direction. But when starting weight loss you tend to lose more inches than lbs so you have noticed the differance in your face and thighs it lbs will come back off. Just don't give up. We are here to help and keep you motivated.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week, Friday @ 5pm

Stu
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    So my question to u all is how often do u weigh yourself and is there any1 who keeps away from the scales alltogether?
    Right girlie, first thing's first... how often do YOU weigh yourself?

Do you have your own scales? Are they digital or analogue? If they are analogue i.e. they have a dial with a pointer, they are less accurate and fluctuate as you lean over to read the dial. Digital scales record your weight and hold it in its memory for 30secs or so.

Do you weigh yourself all the time or once a week at the same time. (TIP: choose one morning a week, weight yourself naked - or in your jim-jams after your morning wee) You shouldn't weight yourself more often than that unless you are a Jockey or a championship Boxer preparing for a meet. Naturally, your weight will fluctuate throught the week - a lot of that can be water retention or just your body processing various things.
    :mad: I worked really hard this month and managed to lose 6 pounds but now i seem to have gained that back and then some:frown: . I've been eating really clean except for a couple of days.......when i jumped on the scales and saw i'd gained 10 pounds i was livid :explode: , i thought whats the point so i went tesco and filled up my basket with all kinds of junk and i had a real good time:embarassed: .
    OK, so you say you've been eating clean, i.e. keeping away from processed foods and preservatives. I presume you're keeping within your calorie limits? And what about the couple of days when you didn't? What were you eating then? Did you go over your cals or just enjoying a bit of convenience food?

The point is... you said...
    I enjoy eating healthy i feel so much better and have more energy,
    And that's what you have to keep focussed on and remember.

Going to tesco and pigging out on JUNK is not doing yourself any favours. We all have good days and bad days... and I' guessing that as a woman you'll naturally have more of these a month than I ever will, but if you are ready and committed to a healthier way of life then you need to persevere. I'm not gonna lie to you... it's a lifetime committment and yes there will be lots of times when you have to resist temptaions and occasions when you can kick back and enjoy a little blow out. That's life!

Ok, now put this all behind you, dust yourself down and get back on that horse. Come on you know you want to, you've seen the physical changes starting, so you know it's working. And your MFP pals are here to give you encouragement :flowerforyou:
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself 2 or 3 times a week but only record it once a week. Weighing in between my ofical weigh ins I find helps keep me on track. If I am up a bit I will try to add some exercise.
  • Louisemyers29
    Louisemyers29 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with not losing weight since I started P90X. I can see a physical difference in myself but the scales have stayed the same for almost a month.

Don't lose heart! If you are working out regularly then you are building muscle and your body shape will be changing entirely. I was a bit disappointed with not losing weight but I'm staying on track on and continuing with the good diet and exercise.

I suggest photos and measuring yourself as it's not all about the scales! Combine the results of all 3 and I'm sure you will track the real changes. :happy:
  • Amatullah1986
    Amatullah1986 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow i'm seriously overwhelmed by the replys and support here, you guys are sooooo supportive. Ok i don't know how to do that thing where u quote and answer so i'll reply to everyone all at once.

I've been weighing myself daily and up till this week it was going well.
    I've been weighing myself on my wii fit board at the same time everyday, i will now start weighing myself every friday.

I exercise daily, usually on my exercise bike or wii fit.

The day i went tesco i brought crisps and a chocolate cake.......:sad: I was jus so frustrated i ate and ate, the plan was to give some of the cake to the kids but that didn't happen:mad: .

And to the person who said this is a life committment....that really hit home, its so true i've rally got to change my whole way of thinking regarding food and weight loss.

Thank u all so much for your replies and your support.