Using "big-picture" motivations to help with small daily actions

twentytwoa
twentytwoa Posts: 13 Member
edited July 2019 in Motivation and Support
Hi all,

I've been a longtime lurker on the forums and found them very helpful, so thank you for that, first of all!

I'm looking for some advice on leveraging my "big-picture" motivation into "small-picture" motivation to make better small choices on a day-to-day basis.

I've clearly thought through and documented my reasons for wanting to manage my weight - I have lists of things I want to achieve and things I'll feel more able to do when I get to my target. They're things I care deeply about.

These things all feel extremely motivating throughout the day - until a craving hits. Sugary treats are my bete noir in an otherwise reasonably sensible diet. When I feel the craving come on, I fall straight into "this one indulgence doesn't matter" thinking, and give in. This is a very consistent pattern, and it leads to feelings of shame and a lack of hope that I'll ever get where I want to be.

I know that success depends on consistent small actions every day. But I'm having a hard time using that knowledge to help me fend off cravings.

I'd really love some advice on this. I feel like I've got the big picture stuff in place, but I can't translate it into actual changes in my real daily habits.

Thanks so much!

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Start with logging. Log all the food even if over calories. To me creating the habit of logging your food first makes it easier to identify which small changes you are ready to make.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I think it's important to have a plan of what you can do right when a craving hits. Make a list of a few things you can do anywhere such as talk a short walk, read something short, surf the internet or whatever. Do one of those things first and tell yourself, "I'm choosing to not eat this right now." This way you're not totally denying yourself. You can have it later if you decide it's worth it. Inner dialogue doesn't work for everyone but it does for me, so just my $0.02.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    If you can, remove the sugary treats from your house until you feel you can moderate than. Have fruit for an alternative. I can't keep anything sweet in the house or I turn to it when stressed! I was having light ice cream but even that has to go for now.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    I had myself trained to go for the chocolate every time I hit the kitchen. Do you have triggers to avoid or reassign? Now I chug a small glass of water instead. It felt hard to ignore the cravings for a week but I got through it. My calorie limit allows some chocolate but I have to let that craving monster sleep.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    twentytwoa wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been a longtime lurker on the forums and found them very helpful, so thank you for that, first of all!

I'm looking for some advice on leveraging my "big-picture" motivation into "small-picture" motivation to make better small choices on a day-to-day basis.

I've clearly thought through and documented my reasons for wanting to manage my weight - I have lists of things I want to achieve and things I'll feel more able to do when I get to my target. They're things I care deeply about.

These things all feel extremely motivating throughout the day - until a craving hits. Sugary treats are my bete noir in an otherwise reasonably sensible diet. When I feel the craving come on, I fall straight into "this one indulgence doesn't matter" thinking, and give in. This is a very consistent pattern, and it leads to feelings of shame and a lack of hope that I'll ever get where I want to be.

I know that success depends on consistent small actions every day. But I'm having a hard time using that knowledge to help me fend off cravings.

I'd really love some advice on this. I feel like I've got the big picture stuff in place, but I can't translate it into actual changes in my real daily habits.

Thanks so much!

Can't you fit a treat into your day? I eat pretty healthfully, but I have some kind of treat most days and I treat myself to pizza most Friday evenings with my kids for movie night. This should not make one feel guilty or shame...there is nothing wrong with treats in the context of an otherwise healthy diet.

I think that thinking that ones diet has to be 100% on point "healthy" is the exact opposite of big picture thinking. It's an all or nothing mentality that I've rarely seen work because it isn't in anyway realistic long term.