Bedtime hunger-what to eat?

Hi all,

I'm sometimes pretty hungry at bedtime, which makes it hard to sleep. I was wondering how others handle this.

Are there any low calorie but satisfying foods you've found that help you through this without blowing past your daily calories? Thanks for any suggestions!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Have you tried eating your dinner later?
    How many calories are you leaving yourself for a snack?

I typically grab the mustard and some lunch meat for 3-4 quick roll-ups. I have no idea if that would be satisfying to you.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I used to be the same. Even though my dinner is my smallest meal, I started eating it after 6, versus at 5. That one hour made a world of difference. I no longer feel the need to snack before bed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    I exercise more so I have more calories to play with and I budget calories for a bed-time snack. Currently having Triscuits with peanut butter and cheese.

I'd like to add how many calories that is, but that side of the site is not working for me in desktop ATM >.<
  • moss11
    moss11 Posts: 236 Member
    Could you try and leave some calories for evening. I find a carbohydrate snack before bed helps settle me better for sleeping.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    The best thing that I did for myself was to set a cut-off time for eating. Unless something unexpected comes up I try to stop eating by 7pm. This works for me about 90% of the time.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    The best thing that I did for myself was to set a cut-off time for eating. Unless something unexpected comes up I try to stop eating by 7pm. This works for me about 90% of the time.

This works for me, too. I got used to a little bit of hunger at bed time so it doesn't bother me anymore. It's the easiest time to resist hunger for me because I just go to bed. (Sleep is important, though, so if hunger is interfering with sleep, a better solution is warranted.) Plus, if I'm a little hungry at night, I know I will NOT be when I wake up. Conversely, when I eat right before bed or go to bed full, I'm hungry upon waking. It evidently disrupts my normal hunger signalling. Everyone is different, so experiment and stick with each experiment long enough to get valid results. Good luck, OP!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I usually eat dinner around 430-5. I need a snack around 730. I usually have cottage cheese and blueberries. I'm usually asleep by 930 and the snack/digestion doesn't interfere with my sleep.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member

^^^^ this

By changing this habit, along with eating dinner no earlier than 6 pm, I'm no longer interested in eating late. For me, it was a matter of breaking a life long pattern.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    AbbeyDove wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm sometimes pretty hungry at bedtime, which makes it hard to sleep. I was wondering how others handle this.

Are there any low calorie but satisfying foods you've found that help you through this without blowing past your daily calories? Thanks for any suggestions!

What time are you eating your dinner?
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,572 Member

I do this, though my eating runs a bit later (usu finish dinner by 7:30). I make sure to eat plenty of vegetables at dinner, and get a cup of hot tea if I need something later.
  • turnpike1920
    turnpike1920 Posts: 5 Member
    cottage cheese works for me too .
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,674 Member
    I eat dinner at 6, dessert at 7 and go to bed at 1:00 so this is also an issue with me. A slice of cheese, a glass of milk or a banana will usually fill the hole and allow me to sleep.
  • 92019start
    92019start Posts: 80 Member
    I save calories for a pre bedtime snack, and it’s usually a treat I’m looking forward to around 200 calories.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    What worked for me was 0 fat greek yogurt + small banana.
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    I always save 200ish calories for a bedtime snack. Favorites are chilly cow ince cream, strawberries with powdered sugar, or salted peanuts. We eat dinner at 5 because that's when the kids need it, so I have a snack between 8-9.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I like cup a soup, or if I am really hungry, oatmeal with a lot of water, so it is a soupy consistency.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Crystal farms low fat string cheese = 50 calories
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    AbbeyDove wrote: »
    Hi all,

A slice of toasted organic bread or sougdough, bit of jam and I'm set.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I are steal cut porridge to quell the pangs. Not high calorie and filling. I had them with water and a touch of maple syrup