Protein Powders

Options
I have been dieting for years and have tried many different diets but I have never used protein powders. I don't know much about them but notice that they are very popular with people on MFP. Is it for people who exercise extremely and want to maintain or build muscle? What is the purpose or benefits of consuming protein powders and should I try it? I do cardio about 3-4 hours a week but do not do any weight resistance as of yet. Thanks everyone.

Replies

• lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My doc wants me to have 55-65 grams of protein a day so I usually have a milk+whey powder shake for breakfast. Gets me off to a good start no matter what else. It seems to stay with me for a long time too. I do have blood sugar swings if I do too many refined carbs so that lets out a lot of the usual breakfast stuff like cereal. I do exercise but am certainly not an athlete. Hope that helps.
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    depending on ur weight and goals... IMO u should have minimum of 100 a day... taken u weight around 100-120... for me as im trying to build muscle and i hit the weights 6 days a week im consuming 250-280g of protein and i weight around 180lbs... so thats about 1.5g per lbs of body weight...

as for you.. there is no reason for u to spend money on protein if you are not training, instead eat a little more cottage cheese, tuna, chicken breast, and meats.. all low cals but high protein.. and u will get ur proteins up at end of the day quick!
  • Dkenny74
    Dkenny74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been falling short on Protein lately even though I do not shy away from meat. I use it to supplement.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Protein powders like whey protein are mainly workout supplements, not really necessary for weight loss.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    It just depends on how you are on your protein goal each day. Are you over or under? If you are under by more than 12-15 g on protein each day, I would say protein powder is a good idea. Jillian Michaels has a whey protein powder that I like to mix with milk and it has 15 g of protein with 100 calories. If you need more protein than that, or if you start strength training (which is a great idea, even if only 1-2 times per week to start!), try another brand such as Body Fortress which has 26g of protein and 160 calories (Body Fortress chocolate is my favorite as far as taste and benefits go!)