Anyone on prednisone?

Options
I recently got diagnosed with something called DM. On all this medication including prednisone...and if you know anything about that then you know that it makes you gain a *kitten* ton of weight!!!! Terrible. I am 5'6 and I was around 125 pounds. Just where I wanted to be. Now I am 144. Anyone else dealing with trying to lose weight on this medication??

Replies

• Tanith1992
    Tanith1992 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I’m also on prednisolone after a kidney transplant. I was on really high doses and gained a ton of weight. Now it’s lower but I still find it hard! You just feel starving all the time - I understand the steroid weight loss pain!
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    A few months back I was put on super high-dose prednisone due to an injury. My weight spiked roughly 10 pounds in one week. And physically, it made me feel awful. As soon as I came off of it though, so did the weight, back to baseline within roughly the same amount of time.
  • Juliettemarie11
    Juliettemarie11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! Exactly. When I was in the hospital i gained 15 pounds or so in only a couple weeks or less.. that's insane. In places where i never had fat before. It is such a life changing experience. I was on a very high dose before and now I'm finally down to 10mg. And my doctor is slowly lowering it . Hopeing maybe it starts to get easier at 5mg and I start shedding the weight.
  • Juliettemarie11
    Options
    And tanith, are you also on cellcept? Because I am and that's normally for after operations
  • sippsmom1
    sippsmom1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on 5 mg for years for RA and recently had shingles and bumped to 20 mg a day. Yes the weight has come on and was just in the hospital and trying to get back down to 5 mg a day but the pain is awful! Trying Nurontin to see if I can get back to 5 mg and this new diet plan my great nurse shared with me I’m hoping the weight will come off!
  • C_Erased
    C_Erased Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been on prednisone for 20 years and it sucks (much worse side effects than just weight gain) but it and methotrexate are the only two meds that work on my lupus. I've been on 10mg forever and yes it is possible to lose weight on that amount.
  • Juliettemarie11
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments!