Options
mzmikly
mzmikly Posts: 10 Member
What are your opinions on diet pops?

Replies

• bear2303
    bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    i have one when i'm craving something other than water. I can't stand bubbly waters so i go for a diet coke as a treat every once in a while. Doesn't seem to make me crave more sugar but I also don't go crazy, maybe only 3 cans a week?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Are you allergic, or does fake sugar trigger headaches? Unless you feel diet soda contributes to over eating (it doesn't for me)....it's fine in moderation. My 2 cents.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,029 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that it is a good option for those who want a no calorie drink and sometimes want something other than water.
    Or want to cut calories by switching from regular to diet versions.
    Or want a no calorie mixer for alcoholic drinks

Myself - all of the above.

If you dont like them or have adverse effects -dont drink them.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I don’t like the taste of it, so I don’t drink it.

If you enjoy the taste and don’t have any allergies or sensitivities to any of the ingredients, then it’s fine to drink it.
  • o0kody0o
    o0kody0o Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy drinking Diet Coke and Pepsi Max. I used to drink litres of the full sugar stuff then switched to sugar free. I’ve lost 41 pounds since February so I wouldn’t say it’s affected my weight loss. If I enjoy a certain food or drink, I have it.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    If you like it, drink it.
    I’ve been drinking Diet Pepsi for decades and have no medical issues, nor am I on any prescription medications. My drink of choice is mainly water now, but I always have Diet Pepsi in the house now and enjoy it once or twice a week.
    I always wonder why people ask about diet pop, but not about the other no/low calorie beverages on the market, using the same sweeteners.
  • Neightyre29
    Neightyre29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It gives me really bad stomach aches but when I'm really craving that bubbly I'll usually go for a can of full fat coke. One isn't gonna hurt. In fact, I used to eat 3x the amount of calories in "health coleslaw". Put that way, I wasn't so afraid of having the one can. I like cans because you can regulate better. I'd finish the whole bottle. I will have diet or coke zero as well although I prefer full fat.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    A long time ago, I drank way too much regular coke. The dietician suggested I switch to diet or unsweetened tea to save calories. I tried both, switched to tea. Now I will have a diet drink occasionally, but prefer tea.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I dont drink diet pop because I dont really drink pop.

However I cannot abide the taste of most 'diet' drinks so the odd occasion when I will have some soft drinks its normally a normal coke. I cant drink lemonade as that also has sweetners in it, even if its not the diet version which annoys me. At home I have fizzy water with lime juice squeezed into it, very refreshing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

http://www.sweetpoison.com/articles/0914/study_shows_aspartame_cau.html

This doctor has a ton of research links, studies, and results conveniently located in one page.

I'm not trying to be preachy. People on here are grown adults, so I don't care if you love and consume diet sodas, regular sodas, or a pack of Marlboros a day. Just trying to inform others of the truth and the corruption of US food industry.

Documentaries like Food.inc try and expose the corruptions and how much poison we're putting into our bodies.

Yes, they have been in our sodas and chewing gums for 40 years. For 40 years, I've watched society have increases in cancers, diabetes, obesity, and mental and behavioral disturbances. Like people now sitting at green lights (not on phone, just sitting there), a 20- 40 year old who can't remember why they got up to go to the kitchen. A society where everyone has health issues and pains like never seen before.

40 years ago, I knew no one with cancer, diabetes, fibromyalgia, IBS/IBD, allergies, asthma, etc., and seeing someone obese was a rare thing, especially in elementary-high school children.

So, if I can inspire even one person to give up consuming lab-made chemicals and start feeling great, I'll keep posting unpopular views that get negative reactions by most.

I've said for years, in today's society, if consuming readily available and inexpensive foods available on American shelves (processed, modified, chemically enhanced) it's not a matter of if I get cancer, it's a matter of when.

Have you googled your source? First link that comes up is how she has a fake doctorate.

Likely not...
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    mzmikly wrote: »
    What are your opinions on diet pops?

You're from the Midwest or Canada right? I grew up in Michigan where we called it "pop". Moved to California and learned they call it "soda". Funny. I do love Fresca, but the fake sugar does concern me, so I limit myself to only the occasional can.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a British term, people in the north or older people call soft drinks 'pop'.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Diet soda/pop is neutral. It adds no nutritional benefit and adds hydration but it does no harm for most people. Drink it if you like it, avoid it if you don't.

I grew up drinking pop but moved 80 miles east to Milwaukee and started drinking soda. Wisconsin is a weird state. Old time Door County (the little thumb that sticks out into Lake Michigan) residents call all soft drinks coke.