Very Fast Metabolism, How to maintain proper calorie intake ?

Options
Hi I’m Vanessa. I’ve been lifting weight for a couple of years now.
- I’m at the gym between 3 to 5 times a week. - I do resistance training.
- I gain muscle easily and I have a very fast metabolism.
- My daily calorie intake is 2600 calories.
- My nutrition is composed of : 50%carbs, 20% of fat and 30 %of protein
- I’ve stopped eating meat for 7 months (fish and sea food were allowed) and I’ve decided recently to introduce meat again twice a week.

Because of a crazy schedule I had for years, I got used to skipping meals. Now even when my body is supposed to be hungry, it’s like I’m disconnected and sometimes I do not feel the hunger which makes it difficult to reach my 2600 calories by the end of the day. I’m usually stuck at 2000 calories.

If you have any tips to make it a bit easier for me to reach my calorie intake i would really appreciate ☺️.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    is your weight stable? is your goal to lose/maintain/gain?

here is a list if calorie densw foods. and plan ahead to have them as snacks and plan some meals.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My husband has similar issues. For one thing, he doesn't notice hunger while he is busy. He eats a good breakfast. This isn't even a question of hunger, but rather routine. He theb takes a large salad to work, which he may or may not eat before dinner time, and he absolutely needs starches in the evening to get enough calories in. Lately, that is usually a sweet potato because he is on an elimination diet. I can sometimes convince him to snack on nuts, as well.

He also doesn't worry so much about day to day calories and he definitely tops up on the weekends. Actually, even last Wednesday he had two dinners and last night he ate two servings of rice and three of meatballs.

It may help to up your fats. Sometimes you can add oil or avocado to an existing meal and not even notice the extra calories.
  • NessaKolinss
    NessaKolinss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    is your weight stable? is your goal to lose/maintain/gain?

here is a list if calorie densw foods. and plan ahead to have them as snacks and plan some meals.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

Thank for you taking the time to answer. I’d like to maintain at 70 kg. It’s been hard these last weeks with the heat to maintain my calorie intake so I almost lost 2 kilos 😩. I’ll check your link thank you
  • NessaKolinss
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Thank you, I’ll have a look. 🙏🏾
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Eat a box of Cheerios?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My husband has similar issues. For one thing, he doesn't notice hunger while he is busy. He eats a good breakfast. This isn't even a question of hunger, but rather routine. He theb takes a large salad to work, which he may or may not eat before dinner time, and he absolutely needs starches in the evening to get enough calories in. Lately, that is usually a sweet potato because he is on an elimination diet. I can sometimes convince him to snack on nuts, as well.

He also doesn't worry so much about day to day calories and he definitely tops up on the weekends. Actually, even last Wednesday he had two dinners and last night he ate two servings of rice and three of meatballs.

It may help to up your fats. Sometimes you can add oil or avocado to an existing meal and not even notice the extra calories.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to answer. The thing is I don’t want to add up fat. I’d like to keep fat at 20% of my nutrition goal. What I’d like to do is being able to reach 2600 calories without having to overload on fat.

Is there a reason you don't want to add fats? They are highly caloric and often very beneficial for health (i.e., Omega 3's or MUFA).

Adding things like oils, cheese (which also has high protein) or nuts/butter, is a great way to add calories without having negative impacts on health.
  • NessaKolinss
    Options
    I’m already having cheese and nuts. I would to keep my fat intake to a certain minimum as I only want to gain lean mass muscle. I know that polysaturated and saturated are the ones that should be avoided and I’m already benefiting from omega 3 with fish.

psuLemon wrote: »

Hi, thank you for taking the time to answer. The thing is I don’t want to add up fat. I’d like to keep fat at 20% of my nutrition goal. What I’d like to do is being able to reach 2600 calories without having to overload on fat.

Is there a reason you don't want to add fats? They are highly caloric and often very beneficial for health (i.e., Omega 3's or MUFA).

Adding things like oils, cheese (which also has high protein) or nuts/butter, is a great way to add calories without having negative impacts on health.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m Vanessa. I’ve been lifting weight for a couple of years now.
    - I’m at the gym between 3 to 5 times a week. - I do resistance training.
    - I gain muscle easily and I have a very fast metabolism.
    - My daily calorie intake is 2600 calories.
    - My nutrition is composed of : 50%carbs, 20% of fat and 30 %of protein
    - I’ve stopped eating meat for 7 months (fish and sea food were allowed) and I’ve decided recently to introduce meat again twice a week.

Because of a crazy schedule I had for years, I got used to skipping meals. Now even when my body is supposed to be hungry, it’s like I’m disconnected and sometimes I do not feel the hunger which makes it difficult to reach my 2600 calories by the end of the day. I’m usually stuck at 2000 calories.

If you have any tips to make it a bit easier for me to reach my calorie intake i would really appreciate ☺️.

Which macro are you falling short of?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I’m already having cheese and nuts. I would to keep my fat intake to a certain minimum as I only want to gain lean mass muscle. I know that polysaturated and saturated are the ones that should be avoided and I’m already benefiting from omega 3 with fish.

If you are eating your maintenance calories while working a progressive strength training program, how much fat you are eating won't cause you to store fat. Eating fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories from anything does.

And I think the Cheerios was a decent suggestion. If you want to continue eating lower fat, most people can only eat so much protein, so calorie dense carbs are your next easiest option, and it's pretty easy to snack through a box of cereal. But stuff like cereal, pasta, rice, oats, pretzels, etc can be a pretty easy way to get another 500 cals.

As @J72FIT asked, which macros are you falling short on when you only hit 2000 cals?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2019
    Options

Dietary fat doesn't make you add fat. Your fat to muscle ratio is based on your caloric surplus size and your training. The bigger the surplus and less optimal the training, the more fat you will gain.

Also, if you restrict fat, it should be transfats and there is some evidence that omega 6s should be avoided. Polyunsaturated is actually essential. And omega 3s are a type of PUFA. And saturated fats are more agnostic. Most of the current evidence doesn't show an adverse relationship between SFA and metabolic markers.
  • Neightyre29
    Neightyre29 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When they say you are what you eat I think you're maybe taking it a bit too literally. The fat you eat wont immediately sit on your body. Not to mention that excess weight isn't created JUST from fats its more complex than that. You can even eat mcdees and not worry about putting on fat - as mentioned before that'll only happen if you have excess calories.