Which ones should I record?

My treadmill says 300calories and 550 burnt calories while my watch says 750 active calories. How should I be recording this?
And what are the difference on the type of calories?

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    My TM is way off in the calories it gives me. I think it assumes I weigh 200 lbs. I use MFP's calculator and that seems to work for me. Walking and running calories are pretty easy to calculate weight x distance x .3 for walking and .6 for running. You may burn a bit more if you are running at an incline, but I look at those as bonus burn.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    I think weight x distance x .3 is a low estimate for walking. MapMyWalk (a MFP sister product) awards me weight x distance x .55 and most other walking apps/tools are around .4. Which doesn't sound like a big difference from .3 but is 33 % more calories. Walking is a key part of my routine and with lots of my own data available to analyze, I think .45 would be the most accurate estimate.

A bit less for treadmill, unless using incline.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    If I am using a treadmill, I always ask Wolfram Alpha. That's a website which has language processed scientific articles. Give it your details (as much as you want) and it will provide an answer based on Center for Disease Control experiments. Write things like:
    Male running 8km/hr, 75 kg, 30 minutes
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Rrubio7 wrote: »
    My treadmill says 300calories and 550 burnt calories while my watch says 750 active calories. How should I be recording this?
    And what are the difference on the type of calories?

I think you will find that the treadmill calories are 300 extra calories (just exercise calories) and the watches 750 are total calories (exercise plus normal BMR calories) burned in that time.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    "Active" calories are all movement related calories for the day. When I am doing a planned exercise, I log it as such via the watch either with the AW option or with a third party app I have, and then figure the "burn" is somewhat over-inflated.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    lgfrie wrote: »
    I think weight x distance x .3 is a low estimate for walking. MapMyWalk (a MFP sister product) awards me weight x distance x .55 and most other walking apps/tools are around .4. Which doesn't sound like a big difference from .3 but is 33 % more calories. Walking is a key part of my routine and with lots of my own data available to analyze, I think .45 would be the most accurate estimate.

A bit less for treadmill, unless using incline.

The 0.3 multiplier for walking always seemed a bit low for me, especially since the same formula uses 0.6 for running. I don't think I burn 4 times as many calories per hour running 6 miles an hour as I do walking 3.