Do you eat the skin?

2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    aidydh wrote: »
    Growing up my family always ate the skin of baked potatoes. I can't think of a time when we ate sweet potatoes except for the sweet potato and marshmallow bake for Thanksgiving. We certainly didn't eat plain roasted sweet potatoes.

I was preparing some sweet potatoes to bake in the oven tonight, felt like I couldn't get them clean enough, and later would be munching on a bit of dirt if I ate the skins.

So do you consume the skin on your roasted sweet potatoes?

Yes. It's good for you and peeling is boring.

I don't on baked potatoes, although I do on all other potatoes except for occasional mashed. But I also almost never eat baked potatoes, I prefer potatoes with thinner skin that I roast (skin on).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I don't think twice, I eat the skin of all potatoes, pumpkins, zuchinni etc.
    I thought this was going to be a thread about eating the skin of weird fruit, such as a kiwi fruit.. yuck!
    Are there people who eat kiwi skins??

I eat the kiwi skin!!

Me too. I thought everyone did.
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    edited July 2019
    Are there people who eat kiwi skins??[/quote]

There are, I saw a girl eating one like an apple recently.. that's probably why it was in my head!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,448 Member
    I love the skins, I brush them with a vegetable brush.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,948 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be a thread about eating the skin of weird fruit, such as a kiwi fruit.. yuck!

I eat the kiwi skin!!
    whitpauly wrote: »

I eat the kiwi skin!!

How?!?

When I could handle more fiber than I can now, I ate kiwis with the skin on too! I'd usually cut the kiwi into quarters, pull of the little stemmy piece, put it in my mouth and chew it up. Much quicker than trying to peel it while the fruit just turns to mush.

I don't peel them and I don't eat the skins. Usually I cut them in half lengthwise and scoop the pulp out with a spoon. It's very quick and easy. Sometimes I just cut them and eat them like would unpeeled citrus fruit wedges -- just bite/gnaw out the fruit, inverting the skin as I go, and then just discard the skins.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    When baked potatoes are correctly cooked the skin is crisp, salted, and the potato next to the skin is well done. A caramel color. It is the best part of the potato. I could take you all to Peter Lugar Steakhouse, but this link will have to suffice.

https://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/oven-baked-potatoes/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,819 Member
    When baked potatoes are correctly cooked the skin is crisp, salted, and the potato next to the skin is well done. A caramel color. It is the best part of the potato. I could take you all to Peter Lugar Steakhouse, but this link will have to suffice.

https://www.tastesoflizzyt.com/oven-baked-potatoes/

I love baked potato skins!

My ex's mother used to cook potatoes in the microwave and call this baked, but it is not even close as far as I'm concerned.

My mother never peeled, but at my OH's insistence I have started to peel potatoes for mashed or potato salad.

I never liked sweet potato skin when boiled, but do like them when baked.

It was so liberating when I realized the skin on ginger was entirely edible and that there is no need to peel this.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I rarely eat sweet potatoes, but I love a good baked russet potato and eat the skin. I slather it in oil and salt it with large grained kosher salt.

When I eat sweet potatoes it is typically in a stew or during the holidays when my mom makes her baked sweet potato chipotle casserole...which I assume to be similar to this marshmallow concoction I hear about, but hers is just the sweet potatoes and chipotle and the sweet and spice are awesome. I've never done the marshmallow thing...it sounds kind of weird.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I rarely eat sweet potatoes, but I love a good baked russet potato and eat the skin. I slather it in oil and salt it with large grained kosher salt.

When I eat sweet potatoes it is typically in a stew or during the holidays when my mom makes her baked sweet potato chipotle casserole...which I assume to be similar to this marshmallow concoction I hear about, but hers is just the sweet potatoes and chipotle and the sweet and spice are awesome. I've never done the marshmallow thing...it sounds kind of weird.

I do live a brown potato with a roasted skin, oiled and salty.

The combination your mother makes for sweet potatoes sounds really good.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    Love! Not live
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    I eat the skin on pretty much every potato and most fruits. Not bananas and avocados, haha.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    I eat the skin on all potatoes including sweet potatoes. I love eating Kiwi with the skin on. My wife and kids were disgusted when they first saw it and now we all eat them with the skin on. There are lots of nutrients in the skin of most fruits and vegetables. The outer most layer of onions has the most nutrients in it as well. Only peel just the very outer layer of skin off onions. Anyone else eat rhubarb like celery? We have a small farm and my kids will go just cut off a stick off the rhubarb or a handful of sugar snap peas and munch on them while doing chores.
  • Neightyre29
    Neightyre29 Posts: 47 Member
    I always eat the skins, even of kiwi. I can't eat banana skin though. Watermelon is ok but a bit tough. All potatoes are fine though. I particularly love a crunchy baked potato! It's the best part!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,430 Member
    Yep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    I'll eat skins in general; they're supposed to contain a lot of nutrients, and I do like them. My Spanish father, on the other hand, would eat no skins of anything if he could help it: potatoes, apples, tomatoes ... if he could peel it, he would.
  • loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    I eat Kumara skin - which I think is called a sweet potato in the US - I get a bit confused by what Americans call yams, vs sweet potatoes etc. But I eat the skin of all of them, and I eat Kumara almost every day. Not Kiwi fruit though, they are a bit fuzzy and being a New Zealander I don't think the best ones are available here, they are all exported.
    I even leave the skins on potatoes that I'm mashing, but that is more laziness than anything else.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited July 2019
    I usually remove the skin of sweet potatoes. I don't like the texture of it.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    I do enjoy the skins on regular potatoes, but have never liked the skins on sweet potatoes. The texture just isn’t right for me. It’s fine to eat them if you like them though.