How Important are Macros?

Options
lkn569
lkn569 Posts: 2 Member
Hi,

My recommended calorie intake is 1320. I've been sticking to this everyday and have only gone over once this week. However, I've noticed my nutritional values do not meet the recommendations set by MFP.

It recommends that I consume 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. I'm an egg-loving vegetarian, and most days, my fat equals 50%, carbs equals 35%, and protein equals 15%, roughly. It varies.

I do a lot of cooking with healthy oils, eggs, curd, and a mixture of fungi and vegetables, without paying ANY mind to meeting my macros. Is this bad? Can I still expect to lose weight if I am eating the correct calories every day without correct macros?

Thank you! :)

Replies

• MindfulDecision
    MindfulDecision Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't track macros. I just make sure I eat a good amount of protein, and vegetables all within calorie limits.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is only calories in vs calories out. 1320 calories is 1320 calories, regardless of how it is distributed.

However, there is a big "but" to this, which is the type of weight you lose is affected by your macros, mainly protein. When you lose weight, your body loses a combination of fat (what you want to lose), water (a normal part of the process), and lean muscle mass (what you don't want to lose). Ideally you want your fat to muscle loss ratio to be as high as possible. Increased protein intake can help minimize fat loss. On a low protein intake diet, which yours is, you may lose more muscle mass than desired, especially if you have an aggressive deficit. Vegetarians sometimes have additional protein needs, because not all vegetarian proteins are complete proteins, and less effective at muscle maintenance. Egg protein is good though.

I would try to aim for closer to 25% of your calories from protein, and then allow the rest to fall where they may. Beans, tofu, and many plant based meat replacements are high in protein.