Pointers for the Perpetually Tired

Hi all! I have all the best intentions of eating right and working out, but due to constant sleep issues, I never keep the motivation. I'm always tired, so I always want carbs and sugar and don't want to work out. Does anyone have tips on how to get over that hump and stick to a healthy lifestyle? I give in way too easily! Thank you all in advance!

Replies

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,482 Member
    I'd focus on getting enough sleep, make it a priority and see a doctor about it if you need to. One thing that helps me sleep better has been cardio every day. I lift weights too, just find cardio helps me sleep better. For diet I have my slip-ups but have found not having temptations in the house keeps me eating healthier. I still have cravings but can fight them better that way or find an acceptable alternative.
  • JordanS9592
    JordanS9592 Posts: 94 Member
    As a person with sleep apnea, I have the same problem. This video changed my thinking in a lot of ways. I realized that ultimately, I was using tiredness as an excuse to not exercise, when in reality I am capable of exercising even when I’m tired. I’ve never seen someone fall asleep while going for a walk, so I figured if I’m disciplined enough to not let my emotions dictate my behavior, I can achieve success. https://youtu.be/eBmVv2P-v2s
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    I’ve never seen someone fall asleep while going for a walk...

I have. It's called fainting, and it's why for those of us with medical issues causing fatigue, exercise can be dangerous. I understand that's not the case for everyone but I'm sick of seeing exhaustion passed off as an irrelevant thing to ignore.

@annabelleMN, the key is small changes slowly over time. My guess is you're sitting there thinking, MUST exercise, MUST cut carbs/sugar, MUST eat healthy... and you try all of them and can't sustain it.

So for starters, forget all that stuff. You can lose weight without so much as a minute of exercise. Put your stats in MFP and get your calorie goal for maintenance, and spend a couple weeks just diligently tracking everything you eat and staying within your limit. Never mind if some of its carbs or sugar. Carbs are not bad, sugar is not evil. Food doesn't have any morality.

Then when you've got the hang of that, change your goal to losing 1 lb per week and stay in that goal.

Then when you've got your eating sorted out, try exercise once per week and only go more often when you're comfortable.

It's ok to go slow. Better to go slow and make sustainable, lifelong changes than rush things and quit after a while.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 347 Member
    I have a disorder that causes chronic fatigue. If you have had your doctor rule out low thyroid then focusing on getting good sleep is key. For me there are several things that help with having more energy.

I went through several brands of mattresses before I found one that was good for my needs. I often change my mattress topper or rotate it for optimal benefits. I sleep better nwhen I am more comfortable.

I use a sleep aid. There are a few OTC on the market. Try out a few and see what works for you.

Try CBD oil for energy. The people whom I have asked about their usage of CBD oil have had two different effects. For some it actually makes them more relaxed and feel a bit sleepy, but for me it eases cognitive fatigue so I am more alert during the day.

If you are having difficulty with fatigue and sleep a lot, definitely see a doctor to have your hormone levels checked.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    See a doctor. We have lots of good ones here. If you're ok medically, then maybe it is time to change how you see yourself? Stop 'trying' to be healthier and 'be' a healthier person. When you identify yourself that way you'll naturally follow it. Also, not all the things claimed are necessary. Pick a thing, do it until you're comfortable with it as part of your life and you will most likely have found your next step on the way.