Trying Orange Theory for the first time

Options
Trying Orange Theory for the first time this Saturday. What I’m hoping to get out of it is confidence with weight training. ( i love cardio/treadmill, but machines and weights are foreign to me and so am afraid of not doing it right).

What should my expectations be? Since it’s a group class, will the coaching be personalized enough? Is it a good place for intro to strength training? Any OT devotees please let me know.

Replies

• Mavenly
    Mavenly Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    OT devotee here, you'll be fine. :) The class is a guided-circuit, so everything is completely adaptable to wherever your fitness journey is right now. The coach will clearly demonstrate every weight floor movement, and should give modifications as part of the demonstration if your body is still learning the full movement. Never be afraid to ask for more assistance or a direct demo if you're uncertain. If you're truly nervous, go 10-15min early and tell the front desk.
  • Kita1818
    Kita1818 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Mavenly !
  • OTFOMOgirl
    OTFOMOgirl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love otf! Go at your own pace and remember to breathe.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Mavenly wrote: »
    OT devotee here, you'll be fine. :) The class is a guided-circuit, so everything is completely adaptable to wherever your fitness journey is right now. The coach will clearly demonstrate every weight floor movement, and should give modifications as part of the demonstration if your body is still learning the full movement. Never be afraid to ask for more assistance or a direct demo if you're uncertain. If you're truly nervous, go 10-15min early and tell the front desk.

This bolded part. I went to one class. The instructor has way much more than they can handle at once, mostly related to weight lifting form. Get there early and scout out a spot that's near the screen that demonstrates the form. Start really light with your weights and don't be afraid to ask questions related to form. I saw some dangerous things going on in the one class I attended. Was fun but not for me.

• fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    OTF is awesome, and the best part is that it’s for everyone. Start at the level that works for you and you will keep seeing improvements in your cardio fitness and strength if you keep going consistently.

And yes, it will help you learn some weight lifting basics if you’re unfamiliar. The coach will do a demo of each exercise & instruct on the proper form. They also walk around to check on everyone, although the 3G (3-group) classes can get a bit hectic and you may need to call them over if you have a question. You can also check out what others are doing if you’re not sure about the form.
  • theresa961
    theresa961 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    orangetheory has been a game changer for me...I have never in my life been excited to exercise. I have been going for 3 years and it is the first thing I do! I am actually excited to say I get to work out today! I have lost and maintained 75 pound weight loss in past 3 years and feel orangetheory is vital to this success. I travel a lot around the country and always book a hotel close to an orangetheory studio so I never miss a workout