Earl Peak (pics)

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
Last weekend, a friend and I made plans to finally do Navajo Peak. It's been on everybody's list for years, because it's a very long day. We expected crowds but were the only car at the trailhead when we arrived and when we left.

The approach was long, but lovely. There were open stately woods, meadows, wildflowers, etc. The Teanaway watershed is a special place, it's a real treat to be there.

Lot of creeks to cross down in the valley, then no water at all until we found a few small snow patches just below the summit. I thought I was clever to put my hydration bladder in the freezer overnight, until I ran out of liquid water. Carried a few pounds of ice up and down the mountain. The drive took 3 hours, we were out and about for a full day, I'm amazed it didn't all melt. Lesson learned.

We got up to the ridge, had a look around, and my friend said "*kitten* Navajo, Earl looks like so much fun!" I'd already done Earl, but from the other direction, and Jack hadn't been on that summit yet. Most trails in the Teanaway connect, I was pretty sure we'd be able to come down a different aspect, take the Bean Creek trail for a while, and get back on the trail that would take us to the car. So I agreed.

As soon as we left the trail, it was immense fun. Not too difficult, occasional exposure where a fall would have consequences, but all class 3. We had to find our own way up a ridge of broken rock, there was a small knife edge section we chose to sit and scoot across. 🙂

It's disturbing how little snow there is on Stuart and the Enchantment Range.

All told it was about 12 miles and 4,300' of vert. 9 hours car to car, we stopped for many photos and to enjoy our prize. In reality it was probably in the ballpark of 2k delicious calories, we got home late and I enjoyed a pint of Haagan Dazs.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3819612526

48270100867_a6acb371d1_o_d.jpg

48270100567_6e6b1fc070_o_d.jpg

48270028021_a4f3bf9c65_o_d.jpg

Can you tell I like blue?

48270100397_bfccbe7777_o_d.jpg

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    That looks incredible. Looks like you had great weather for it as well.

I recently challenged myself to hike up Snowdon. Lovely day at the base but halfway up and clouds, wind and cold hit us. Typical British weather. We had the gear and it is a popular trail so not dangerous just made it so much harder and less enjoyable. We made it to the top and back down. Took us 8 hours and I thought I would never walk again. I underestimated the difficulty level to be honest. But proud I have done it and at least I didn't have to be helicoptered off the summit.

This is the view we should have had from the summit but could hardly see 5 feet in front of us with the mist. Oh well maybe another time.

As you can see there is a train that goes up and down but that is for wimps. :):):)

ajuz2gxa6p7q.png
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Kind of surprised the ice didn’t melt in the bladder. I put ice in mine all the time but it’s been hot here so it melts. 4300’ of vertical! Wow, enjoy the Haagen Dazs you earned it!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    That looks incredible. Looks like you had great weather for it as well.

I recently challenged myself to hike up Snowdon. Lovely day at the base but halfway up and clouds, wind and cold hit us. Typical British weather. We had the gear and it is a popular trail so not dangerous just made it so much harder and less enjoyable. We made it to the top and back down. Took us 8 hours and I thought I would never walk again. I underestimated the difficulty level to be honest. But proud I have done it and at least I didn't have to be helicoptered off the summit.

This is the view we should have had from the summit but could hardly see 5 feet in front of us with the mist. Oh well maybe another time.

As you can see there is a train that goes up and down but that is for wimps. :):):)

ajuz2gxa6p7q.png

Snowdon is legendary! You'll have to go back and do it again on a clear day. 😉
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    @NorthCascades We were talking to a guy who was on his tenth ascent and only once had he ever seen it clear at the top. :#