need some advice regarding injury

Options
Ok, very long story short. I knocked a kitchen knife off the counter and stabbed myself in the foot. It. Hurt. So. Bad. This was about 3 weeks ago. I probably should have went to the ER and got a stitch or two but I didn't have anything to do with my kids and I wasn't about to drag them there with me. Well, I finally broke down and went to the doctor this past Tuesday because it was still pretty painful. He said that I missed the main tendon in my foot "by the skin of my teeth" and all the bones are good so no knicked tendons or chipped bone. He did say that I had some major nerve damage and I may never get the feeling back in that area 100%. He gave me some stuff to put on it and a pain patch and said I can continue running as long as it felt OK. Basically if I'm doing something that hurts, don't do it. But now I'm wondering if I should maybe go get a second opinion. I started doing my elliptical again this week trying to get back in the swing of things and while I'm on the elliptical, it doesn't hurt too bad but taking my tennis shoes on and off and if a kid (or my dog) accidently steps on my foot it hurts so bad. This morning, it's back to being a little swollen.

So, you guys think I may just be pushing it too hard or should I go get a second opinion? Should it really still be this painful after 3 weeks? It was a pretty bif knife but dang, I really didn't think it could do that much damage :( Boo. I'm really frustrated and have the sadz :sad:

Replies

• RedNeckGal1970
    Options
    In my oppinion, I would just give it some more time to heal. When it is swollen, elevate it and maybe put some ice on it. I've done that before and boy howdy I know your pain. I superglued mine shut and it healed really fast but was sore for some time after healing. And sure it's still gonna hurt after three weeks. Try soaking it a couple times a day in Epsom Salts water... it will speed the heeling and draw out the pain. That stuff works miracles. When I was a kid a dog bit my earlobe and it was literally hanging by a piece of skin. We were way out in the middle of no where on a camping trip. We could have drove about 6 hours to get to the nearest doctor but momma and daddy always had Epsom salts with us when we took off like that, in case we cut ourself or stepped on a stob or anything. Anyways they mixed the salt and water in a cup and I had to carry the cup around with me and soak my ear. 35 years later I have my ear, never saw a doctor for it and have only a tiny scar. I've become a firm believer in Superglue and Epsom Salts... they are miracle workers and both kills germs and stop infection from happening.

Just take it easy on that foot for a little longer... it should be fine.