Struggling to exercise

Any tips on how to build up tolerance to exercise? I was very active when I was younger but now I don’t move much I’ve tried to start walking and I’m struggling to get from point a to point b I did a 1.7 km trail yesterday and had to stop so many times for back and leg pains. I know it takes time but the struggle is real lol

Replies

• Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Take it slow, it shouldn't be painful

Try just a 15 minute walk first thing on the morning as studies show that will help you move more for the rest of the day.

A 1.7km trail walk is fairly advanced, remember weight loss is achieved by eating less calories than you burn. Exercise is for health.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    slow and steady
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Start slow. Walk until you need to rest, then turn around and go home. Next day, try to walk a little farther. Don't force your body into doing more than it is ready for or you risk injury. On days that the weather is bad, turn on some music and move your body to the music. Dance or walk in place or do side steps and high knees. When you get tired, stop, rest a bit and start again. A few minutes here and there will add up and soon you will be able to go longer.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Walking shouldn't be painful (tiring maybe), so I'm guessing you have specific issues. If so, I hope you can get some professional help with them from a PT and/or doctor.

If you have joint issues, it is prudent to start with low-impact things, like stationary biking and water aerobics.

Most important: don't give up!
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Check out you tube for chair exercises and stretching, that mixed with starting to walk each day - I agree with 15 mins a day - should help a lot!

Also, as above poster mentioned, if you have access to a pool that is always easier on the body.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I agree with the others. Start small. You're training your muscles. In order to not get frustrated, enter any exercise slowly, then increase intensity. Listen to your body. It will tell you what it needs.

Good luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Just chiming in to agree with everyone. The way to build up tolerance is to start out easy enough that it is just a bit of a challenge. If that means a 10 minute walk, so be it. When you can do that with minimal difficulty, add 5 minutes or walk a bit faster. Then maybe you work in short intervals of jogging, etc.

Find little moments throughout the day to move your body. I will sometimes march in place or do jumping jacks during a commercial break. If you push too much too soon, you'll actually make it harder to progress, dealing with soreness, tweaks, and injuries.

Hang in there!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Like everyone says, slow and steady! Maybe also add in some gentle yoga/PT stretches at home if it doesn't bother your back to help you limber up/recover.
  • darklyndsea
    darklyndsea Posts: 56 Member
    You can also do multiple shorter walks in the same day, if the pain increases the longer you're on your feet: walk for a comfortable amount of time, recover, go again later. Depending on the cause of your back pain, it might improve over time if you do core-strengthening exercises in addition to walking.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    bigmama800 wrote: »
    Any tips on how to build up tolerance to exercise? I was very active when I was younger but now I don’t move much I’ve tried to start walking and I’m struggling to get from point a to point b I did a 1.7 km trail yesterday and had to stop so many times for back and leg pains. I know it takes time but the struggle is real lol

Walk in a pool. If you have no way to build up tolerance by walking in water in a lake near by (or ocean depending on where you live), then look into local pools or YMCA. It can help relieve stress on your joints but allow you to work up your stamina. Just a thought.
  • Nanaluvs2sweat
    Nanaluvs2sweat Posts: 97 Member
    The thing is you are moving. Move everyday. Your endurance will improve everyday.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    My physiopherapist advised that I get some hiking poles. I have joint issues. The poles help to take a bit of weight off your joints and also gives you a bit more confidence if the ground is a bit uneven. They really helped me when I started out.

Like everyone is saying though start small and build slowly. You will be surprised how much you will improve over time.

Also another vote for any kind of water excercise, again takes the strain of your joints and the added benefit of keeping cool.
  • Twitterpatedmama
    Twitterpatedmama Posts: 10 Member
    Whatever you do Stick with it. Don't quit, its so worth it! Baby steps are okay and I hope you're having a better day.