Overcoming guilt and shame

Options
Hello everyone, I’n having difficulty starting a food journal. Does anyone have any advice on overcoming the overwhelming guilt and shame I feel when I try to start logging my food intake?

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    What are you feeling shame about? Is it the amount you're eating, or what you're eating, or that you're eating?
  • harley_benz92
    harley_benz92 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think it’s a mixture between what I eat and how much I eat. It’s totally a comfort zone thing, if I turn a blind eye the calories don’t count attitude. Typing this just made me realize how bad my habits actually are. :/
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My advice is just do it, and accept that it might be "bad" but know that you're going to change that for the better as you go. I can understand though, I used to avoid weighing myself for literally years at a time because I didn't want that feeling of anxiety, guilt, and shame regarding the number on the scale. It was very freeing for me to weigh often and log my food, even when I first started years ago and my habits needed a ton of work. Knowing where I stood was oddly comforting once I got used to it.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I think it’s a mixture between what I eat and how much I eat. It’s totally a comfort zone thing, if I turn a blind eye the calories don’t count attitude. Typing this just made me realize how bad my habits actually are. :/

I dunno.... I suppose that I take a different view.

Logging daily intake of meals keeps me honest. If I feel guilty about eating something, maybe that's okay.

Based on your post, you probably already know that pushing out of your comfort zone might be necessary to achieve some goals. Maybe the 'guilt & shame' is a by-product of exceeding that comfort zone. Hence, maybe it's actually a positive.... only disguised as a negative.

Best of Luck; hang in there and take it a day at a time.

• skv99
    skv99 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No guilt and nothing to be Shamed of, overwhelming to see all the details of the food we eat for sure, but keep doing it and you will see the results with change that comes from doing it. Feel free to add me, I've done it with bad diet from childhood due to heritage staple foods and can share my tips and lessons I picked up along the way. I've lost 30lbs just from change in food habits and basic light exercises not hitting gym due to lack of time
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It can be very motivating and liberating after a while. Does the guilt and shame come from knowing you are eating more than your body needs? If so, use this to motivate yourself to set calorie goals and stick to them. Many of us feel shame for letting ourselves eat too much, you aren’t alone.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    You need to do what will get you results. I never logged my food for a few weeks just to see what I was eating before I started a diet like some suggest. Most likely partially for why you don't wan to . For me, I rather just start on my eating plan and get to work. Yet, I understand it could clarify to a person having trouble coming to grips with their poor diet on what is causing the weight gain.

Take the approach that will work for you. I've lost my weight without doing that...but if I kept struggling.. I would consider doing something different that could work. good luck.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Fill out the food diary truthfully. It's an eye opener that allows you to see where you are and helps you figure out where you want to be. It's the most powerful tool you have here.

Good luck! ❤
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I tried to think of it as a CHALLENGE instead. How can I find foods that make this stinkin’ math work. That’s the stubborn in me.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are here means you want to change, and that's great. It won't happen overnight, but tracking honestly is the only way to see what you're eating. I pay a lot of attention not only to the calories, but the fat, protein, carbs and sugar. When I first started I was shocked at how many carbs and how few proteins I was eating. I'll share this with you and maybe it'll make you feel better....I rarely eat fast food- maybe 3-4 times a year and usually because it's the only thing available. But...Saturday morning I went to Pilates, and when I left class I was suddenly ravenous and had an overwhelming urge for a Carls Jr chicken sandwich and curly fries. So on the way home I stopped and got it. I enjoyed every bite (food shouldn't equal guilt!) and logged them. Two of my close friends are on MFP with me and we monitor each other's diaries. Of course they both were like WHAT??! But hey, every once in a while I just feel like eating things like that and as long as I log it and don't go over my total for the day it shouldn't be the end of the world. It was 800 calories BTW and I don't even want to tell you about the fat!
    Good luck!
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    csplatt wrote: »
    I tried to think of it as a CHALLENGE instead. How can I find foods that make this stinkin’ math work. That’s the stubborn in me.

Macro Tetris
  • annie5904
    annie5904 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You are doing sonething...moving in the right direction. Small steps. We all hace gd and bad days.
    Start each day with a clean slate