Artificial Sweeteners — worse than sugar?

Options
Studies on artificial sweeteners show mixed results. It appears they can raise insulin even while containing 0 calories. Do you think it’s better for weight loss to have a 200-calorie regular treat (sweetened with cane sugar), or 200-calorie artificially sweetened treat?

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    If both sweets are 200 cal and you have the room for them, the only question is which are you going to find the most satisfying.

When I occasionally have a soda, it's always diet, since I switched to diet about 30 years ago and don't like the taste of regular now, and besides I have a hard time wasting calories on a beverage. (If diet soda ceased existing I'd just not have soda.)

With dessert foods, I would rather have less of something that I find the most tasty so, for example, will choose 200 cal of regular ice cream over a low cal ice cream. But there's no right answer -- people will have different preferences.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    200 calories from a treat with cane/beet sugar vs low calorie sweetener, would only differ as to the size of the treat.
    As kimny72 said, no conclusive study proving artificial sweeteners affect health. I’ve been drinking diet pop for almost 50 years. I’m not on any prescription medication, and have no health issues.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I predict this is going to be a looooooooong thread
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I predict this is going to be a looooooooong thread

Yep!
    Comes up multiple times daily.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It might be worth pointing out before this thread devolves into ridiculousness that unless you have an insulin sensitivity there is NO reason to worry about having elevated levels in your blood. It is a normal response to food and it does wonders to keep you from dying.

This is not a response to artificial sweeteners raising insulin which I doubt happens but I don't need to research because I don't like the taste of them anyway.
  • justanotherjenn
    justanotherjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Oh fun, another one of these lol.

From my personal experience:

Adding in artificial sweeteners never caused me to gain weight. I know a lot of people who maybe had their sugar cravings triggered, but like everything else you put into your body, it's different for everyone.

There ARE some that bother my digestive system, like maltitol. But aspartame I have never had a problem with and will drink my daily Diet Coke until I'm dead.